G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

NR-G Carbon Fiber Engine Cover

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 02:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i haven't talked to mike at CC in a couple weeks now, gave him a call and left him a message today...hopefully he'll have some good news for me some time this week...

as for the JL sub enclosure, i'll post some pics on here tomorrow...i got it done for a pretty good price off eBay, and the quality is pretty good believe it or not lol...enclosure ran me about 175 if i remember right...it has a wider front piece so it sits flush with the wheel wheels...

i've heard good things about the factory bose...but it's very hard for a factory system to sound as good down low as an aftermarket system...at first i was gonna throw my jl 13w7 in the whip, but then realized how retarded that would look and sound...so i traded the sub for two 12w3v3's...was gonna put both in, and then decided on just one of them...came out real nice even though it's a 250 watt setup

oh yeah and to stay on topic...did you order the gtspec strut bar? if so...i can't wait to see the fitment on that nice CF engine cover...if it sits nice on there, i would love to follow your foot steps and get one of these covers some time

Old 11-26-2008, 12:30 PM
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ttrank
That looks great!
Thanks man! Now I need a TT kit, so I can put the Twin Turbo emblem on it like in your avatar.... Everything looks better with Twin Turbos on it.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by ugaexploder
i haven't talked to mike at CC in a couple weeks now, gave him a call and left him a message today...hopefully he'll have some good news for me some time this week...

as for the JL sub enclosure, i'll post some pics on here tomorrow...i got it done for a pretty good price off eBay, and the quality is pretty good believe it or not lol...enclosure ran me about 175 if i remember right...it has a wider front piece so it sits flush with the wheel wheels...

i've heard good things about the factory bose...but it's very hard for a factory system to sound as good down low as an aftermarket system...at first i was gonna throw my jl 13w7 in the whip, but then realized how retarded that would look and sound...so i traded the sub for two 12w3v3's...was gonna put both in, and then decided on just one of them...came out real nice even though it's a 250 watt setup

oh yeah and to stay on topic...did you order the gtspec strut bar? if so...i can't wait to see the fitment on that nice CF engine cover...if it sits nice on there, i would love to follow your foot steps and get one of these covers some time
I do have the GT Spec Bar on order and it's actually supposed to be in this week. As soon as I comes in and I get it installed, then I will post some new pics on here... so, stay tuned.

I'm very interested to see how your sub install turned out. Two 12's is overkill IMO, unless maybe if you are building a competition system... A single 10" or 12" is plenty for my needs. The factory Bose system is only just "decent"... they really could have made it an excellent system with only a few minor tweeks. Unfortunately they have both low pass and high pass filters on the 10" woofers in the front doors. They actually call these subwoofers, but it's obvious that they are filtering out all of the low frequencies (my guess is anything below 50hz or 60hz is gone)... I'm sure they do this to minimize distortion and potential damage to the drivers, but the system really needs more low frequencies. Just my $.02.

Definitely keep us updated on the headlights!

Old 11-26-2008, 01:12 PM
Here are a few pics of the audio system...

Old 11-26-2008, 03:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey uga, quick question, why didn't you go for the 13w7 or 12w7? Wouldn't the 500W average RMS be better?
I'm thinking of adding a sub to the Bose system just to give it more low frequency since I think the rest of the system is pretty good.
Any recommendations?

Old 11-26-2008, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by Borna
Hey uga, quick question, why didn't you go for the 13w7 or 12w7? Wouldn't the 500W average RMS be better?
I'm thinking of adding a sub to the Bose system just to give it more low frequency since I think the rest of the system is pretty good.
Any recommendations?
that's a good question borna...well, i had a 13w7 in my hands and originally i was going to put it in the car powered by a jl 1000/1...i had the 13w7 left over from my ford explorer SUV before the camry...i went to a local shop to see what they were quoting for custom enclosures...i talked with the guy and he told me i was not going to have any space in my trunk if i went with a 13w7 because they need so much volume for the enclosure...

from there i found a guy on craigslist who i traded my 13w7 to for two 12w3v3's...i was thinking about running a jl 500/1 to both of them but did some more research and realized each enclosure needed to be about 1.25 ft^3...from here i realized i would still have no room to put anything in the trunk...i was really worried about it being underpowered since i was so used to a 13w7 pounding my brains out...but the 12w3v3 is a big surprise...they can be had for pretty cheap too, around 100-150 now im guessing

when new passengers ride in my car they always think it's 2 15"s pounding in the back...i show em what i have and they're always surprised...this car is just so mod friendly, like the last pic i posted, it was a perfect place to put my remote bass control ****...i agree with you, the stock system is good...the highs are really clear, the mids could be a little better but i'm not complaining...the lows however, are just not there similar to most stock systems...i've had systems in almost every car i've owned, which is a bunch of different setups, over 10 different kinds of brands/setups...the system i have right now is the most balanced out of all of them that's for sure...

i think JL came out with an ultra thin W5 speaker...if i were to get a system now, it would probably be one of those 13w5's...they're powerful as hell too...oh yeah, another thing i considered for the longest time was sound dampening...it's not really necessary in this car...the only dampening product i put on my car was some dynamat extreme under the license plate...but since the license plate isn't attached to the trunk it really doesn't matter...if you add sound dampening to our car, it'll just add weight and maybe make a little difference in acoustics

Old 11-26-2008, 04:12 PM
Thanks a lot for the info uga,
There's some great info in there. I'm going to look at something that will allow me to keep as much trunk space as possible.
I heard that all flat subs should be left as a last resort for when you just don't have enough space for a regular sub. if not then I may look into that and install it somewhere on the side of the trunk to save space. Any ideas on this?
Otherwise I'll probably go for the W7 since either way if I put a sub like the 12W3 I'll lose the ability of fitting a large suitcase in there so it probably wouldn't make a difference to put a 12W7, only downside is the weight of the W7...45lbs. vs 14.5 lbs for the W3

Old 11-26-2008, 04:26 PM
Thanks a lot for the info uga,
There's some great info in there. I'm going to look at something that will allow me to keep as much trunk space as possible.
I heard that all flat subs should be left as a last resort for when you just don't have enough space for a regular sub. if not then I may look into that and install it somewhere on the side of the trunk to save space. Any ideas on this?
Otherwise I'll probably go for the W7 since either way if I put a sub like the 12W3 I'll lose the ability of fitting a large suitcase in there so it probably wouldn't make a difference to put a 12W7, only downside is the weight of the W7...45lbs. vs 14.5 lbs for the W3
NP borna...there's a subwoofer hole right under the rear deck lid if you want to use that thing to mount your sub...yeah, i wouldn't go with the flat sub if i didn't have to now that i think about it...if i didn't have the enclosure made with the front MDF board being wider, then it would've saved a lot more space, that's for sure...i've seen installs on here from a member named stafna who has his enclosure pushed off to a wheel well...here's a link

https://g35driver.com/forums/tech-07...-question.html

if you scroll down a little bit, stafna posted all of his links...his install was pretty clean too...there's also a lot of other information in that thread, basically just discussing what setup would be acceptable for the car...that is a big difference in weight from the w7 to the w3 but it makes sense...the 13W7 i owned was like 70lbs or something crazy...dual voice-coil and a HUGE magnet...i think a W3 would be sufficient, but it really depends on you...im happy with the current setup, but once you get used to it you always want more bass lol

Old 11-26-2008, 04:37 PM
Thanks for info again uga, :bow:
I'll check out that link now, my exact problem is that I listen to music with lots of bass and I really love bass...can't live without it lol
I don't know about the W7 though since 45 lbs is a lot of weight added to the car...especially if you're saying it's sufficient with the W3

Old 11-26-2008, 04:58 PM
i hear ya man, i listen to music with a lot of bass too and it's pretty clean...there are some high frequencies of the low-range driver that will make some parts of your car rattle...mainly the rear deck lid area, but there is a fix for it...you just have to put a little rubber stopper between the rear window and the deck lid...yeah man, i think the W7 would be insane in the car...the W6v2 might be your sub then if you want to find the middle ground between the w7 and w3...i would've traded my 13w7 for a 12w6v2 straight up if i could've found someone in the area

Old 11-27-2008, 12:07 AM
The 12W6v2 looks like it's exactly what I'm looking for
I'll look into it soon, I'll also give the rubber stopper a quick look since I get some slight rattling from the rear deck with the stock system too...
The jl 500/1v2 amp should be good enough too...did you need to use the jl cleansweep to run the sub off the stock system or just directly connected it?

Old 11-27-2008, 11:07 PM
The 12W6v2 looks like it's exactly what I'm looking for
I'll look into it soon, I'll also give the rubber stopper a quick look since I get some slight rattling from the rear deck with the stock system too...
The jl 500/1v2 amp should be good enough too...did you need to use the jl cleansweep to run the sub off the stock system or just directly connected it?

yeah the 500/1 should be perfect for the w6...you don't need to use the cleansweep, it sounds fine without it

Old 12-02-2008, 01:06 PM
Installation looks great, UGA... Very clean. Love the location of the sub level know... looks like it belongs there. Can't wait to see the headlights when they are done.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Did the GT Spec STB fit over the CF Cover?

Old 12-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Yes, the GT Spec STB fit even better with the NR>G CF cover than with the stock cover. I adjusted the bar so there is just about 3/16" - 1/4" of clearance between the bar and the engine cover (which ends up being about 3/4 of the way down the adjustment slots) and the bar doesn't rub the inside of the hoods heat-shield at all. I just took some pics of the bar installed and will post them now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: NR-G Carbon Fiber Engine Cover