G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

G35S 6MT vs. 335i Sedan 6spd

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 08:35 PM
DTG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, great info and thanks to all for your help.

Let me shed some light...

About two years ago I had an '01 CLK55 AMG for a bout a year. That car was bada$$! However, after the odometer turned 60k miles, I started noticing alot of rattles and then I got all these warning lights all the time and it got really bothersome.

I traded it in for an '04 G35C 6MT that had 42k miles and was a CPO vehicle. It was really nice with NAV and all. I loved it, so I spent at least $12k on upgrades (F&R BBK, Work T1S, KW V2, GTSpec, JWT, etc etc). Well, after driving it for a while I noticed rattles but the dealership was helpful and worked with me of sorting things out and fixing them to my acceptance. However, I just felt like I was driving a "common car" and I never got myself to finalize my plans and spend the money to go TT and have a super car. I thought that I wanted a more "refined" ride that represents my age and my career (34-year old commercial lender).

So, I sold the G and bought a very nice '02 540i Sport. I got wheels, M5 F&R bumpers, mirrors, etc and the car looked fantastic and drove great. Then I noticed an engine noise on a car that has 70k miles! I took it to a local BMW dealer and thank God I bought a warranty. Long story short... the car spent 3 months back and forth at the dealership and I ended up getting a new "used" block because two pistons were scorched! I just sold that car today!

The good news is that for the last three months, I had been driving a '08 335i automatic (dealer loaner) and I've sort of fallin in love with that car. However, my "BMW experience" is compelling me to stay the hell away from that brand... and my love for driving a manual transmission eliminates buying another Benz.

So, I'm finding myself at a very tough spot.... I know the G35S 6MT will be fun car to drive and a wonderful car long term, but then I know the 335i is an awsome driver and with a $1000 chip I'll be in the 400 HP club. To get that sort of power from the G, I'd have to fork over at least $6k for an S/C and install (when it comes out) and I'll have to void the warranty.

I need a 4-door because sometimes I take clients out but then the 335i is so small that the back doors are really meaningless when you trying to seat four adults! I'm not sure if the G would provide more room.

In terms of cost, the G will require $250 @ 15k, then $800 @ 30k then $250 at 45k... so it's only $1300 over a 45k mile period. The Bimmer will be free during that time. But then again, the Bimmer will cost me about $4,000 more to acquire.

All in all, I'm leaning towards the G (for the size, looks, and reliability) but I'd feel like an a$$ if it turns out to be no more realiable than the Bimmer!

Last edited by DTG; 11-26-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:52 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I sat in the back of 335i and can say confidently that it won't be comfy especially if you're over 6' tall. Yes, definitely a tight fit, much more so than in the back of a G.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:37 PM
DTG
Ok, what about engine performance (i.e. upgrades down the road)?

I would be very happy with a G today and knowing that I can get more power down the road would be an added bonus...

I know there is TT and SC kits out for the pre '07 but has anyone started to develop an SC for the 07 model? Are there any real complications that prevent modding this engine? I know that the bottom end has been improved, but then the compression is higher so that it tough to work around with F/I.

What amazes me is the the 335i has the 330i engine with the same high compression but running low boost turbos... that's fine but what I don't get is that tuners like Vishnue can squeeze another 100+ WHP out of them without blowing them up! I don't get how they do that!

I would be fine buying a G today and saving the cash for some serious HP later... even if I pay a couple of more grand all in... it's money spent later anyway and that's always a good thing.

Thoughts?

Old 11-26-2008, 11:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 G35 Journey Sedan no sunroof
G has a lot more rear seat room, even with tall people in front with the seats back. It's closer to the 5 series than the 3 series. 3 series has a little more front headroom with a sunroof (which is standard on 3). No sunroof (my car) adds tons of headroom on G.

My biggest gripe with the 3 series is that the transmission tunnel is so wide, it interferes with the legroom width-wise. If you're average height or bigger your legs will press against the center console and the door paneling. (The longer inline 6 engine pushes the transmission towards the rear of the car..... V-6 is more space efficient.)

Mods on either car may affect long term reliability, so buy what makes you happy fresh out of the box.

Old 11-27-2008, 01:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DTG
So, I'm finding myself at a very tough spot.... I know the G35S 6MT will be fun car to drive and a wonderful car long term, but then I know the 335i is an awsome driver and with a $1000 chip I'll be in the 400 HP club. To get that sort of power from the G, I'd have to fork over at least $6k for an S/C and install (when it comes out) and I'll have to void the warranty.
You probably already know that chipping the BMW will also void the warranty on the engine and probably the transmission.

Not only that, but given how unreliable stock 335s are, I wouldn't dare install a chip or anything (maybe a Dinan reflash since they at least match the factory warranty). I've just read too many people that run into issues with both stock or chipped 335s.

With all that said, you should get the 335. You've been driving it for a while and you will feel a let down when you get a G as it feels slower.

One thing about the 335 though - it does not have VLSD whereas the G35 6MT does. That helps put the power down much better.

Last edited by AlterZgo; 11-27-2008 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:03 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
The amount of people that actually run into problems from a tuned 335 aren't actually that numerous. There's quite a bit of people on e90post that are tuned and have zero problems.

IIRC:
1. One guy smoked his turbos because something came loose and entered the snail through the intake tract.
2. I honestly don't remember reading of more than 3 that actually had turbos replaced, for whatever reason.
3. Same for wastegates, maybe "5" at most.
4. No one to my knowledge for a trans.

The car is stout and will do 14psi reasonably for a while. With the newer tunes (JB3 and Procede rev 2), the boost is more controlled and there are more safeguards to prevent overboost. Many feel that it actually drives like an n/a car, and doesn't have that one, huge, single "kick" like turbo cars of old. It's not like you're in boost most of the time anyway. For example, I recently installed a boost gauge in my 3 in preparation for a tune, and to my surprise, I hardly ever get into boost. Most of the time, it runs about 2-3 psi and that's when you really step on the pedal.

The ones that can expect trouble are the ones running 100 octane and race gas maps that boost 16-17 psi. That's the ones who can expect decreased longevity, but then again, every car's different and you may get a "lemon" that would break sooner.

In any event, buy the car that'll make you happy on a daily basis. Me personally, the 3 is the wife's car and I drive the G every day. The times I do get to drive the 3, I'm never disappointed and am always amazed on how much more fun it is to drive and how much better it does it.

Old 11-27-2008, 02:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i guess if the price tags dont make a difference..then i would go with the 3...

the Gs are nice...but there's something about BMW...

i've driven my sis' m3 vs my g35 coupe..and there's a difference for sure..just the feel...

i love my g, and i went with that cus of the future maintenance costs.etc etc...and i wanted an upgrade (civic.integra) that wont break my bank account.plus i love the sexyness of the G.

but it was a toss up for me as well between an M3 n my G...
*but i do catch myself sayig "DAMN shoulda got an M3" everytime theyre parked next to each other when she visits!!! hahahaha

but then my sis complains of the expenses of the m3...so i laugh n go "yessss better choice..."

GOOD LUCK IN CHOOSING!

Old 11-29-2008, 04:58 AM
i'm curious where the 335 sedan is only 4k more than the g35s 6mt. I overpaid at 38k otd (remember 8.25% sales tax) for mine, and the only thing i didn't get was tech package. a comparable 335 sedan is ~47k last time I built one, and no bmw dealerships around here are dealing on them.

bmw's aren't a good buy until they resolve some key, horrible interior issues--all of which are design problems and not quality issues. the entire interior seems like it was designed by engineers...and then tested by the same people. there is logic to the design, but it is bad logic.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:11 AM
DTG
Made a decision

Well, my two closest friends (brothers) own ECARONE (www.ecarone.com) and just picked up an '07 335i coupe 6spd gray on red leather and let me borrow it for a couple of days. I fell in love with the car but also wanted to be fair so I drove it to a local Infiniti dealer that had an '07 G35S 6MT fully loaded. They saw that my car still had paper plates and I told them that I borrowed it from a dealer for a test drive, so they let me take the G35 out on my own. I drove it for at least 20 minutes on the highway and side roads and my decision was made. I came back to the dealership and said the following: "the G35 is a great car but I'll stick with the BMW". The salesman smiled and said nothing else.

Price difference was just under $4,000 but I got my 335i at my friends' cost.

The G35S was going for $28,900 and I paid $32,250 for the Bimmer

'07 335i Coupe 6MT
Space Gray Metallic w/Coral Red Dakota Leather & Gray Poplar Wood
Premium Pkg
Sport Pkg
BMW Assist w/Bluetooth
Heated Seats
Logic 7 Sound
16k miles (was a two-year lease return out of Omaha, NE)

Thanks for everyone's feedback and honesty. Although I no longer a G35, I gotta say that this is one of the most helpful forums I've ever come across. Thanks again.

Here are some pictures...

Attached Thumbnails G35S 6MT vs. 335i Sedan 6spd-front.jpg   G35S 6MT vs. 335i Sedan 6spd-img_0074.jpg   G35S 6MT vs. 335i Sedan 6spd-img_0071.jpg   G35S 6MT vs. 335i Sedan 6spd-img_0076.jpg   G35S 6MT vs. 335i Sedan 6spd-img_0072.jpg  

Old 12-11-2008, 01:00 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Good choice either way (you can't lose). See you on e90post.com

Old 12-11-2008, 04:02 AM
Originally Posted by DTG
Well, my two closest friends (brothers) own ECARONE (www.ecarone.com) and just picked up an '07 335i coupe 6spd gray on red leather and let me borrow it for a couple of days. I fell in love with the car but also wanted to be fair so I drove it to a local Infiniti dealer that had an '07 G35S 6MT fully loaded. They saw that my car still had paper plates and I told them that I borrowed it from a dealer for a test drive, so they let me take the G35 out on my own. I drove it for at least 20 minutes on the highway and side roads and my decision was made. I came back to the dealership and said the following: "the G35 is a great car but I'll stick with the BMW". The salesman smiled and said nothing else.

Price difference was just under $4,000 but I got my 335i at my friends' cost.

The G35S was going for $28,900 and I paid $32,250 for the Bimmer

'07 335i Coupe 6MT
Space Gray Metallic w/Coral Red Dakota Leather & Gray Poplar Wood
Premium Pkg
Sport Pkg
BMW Assist w/Bluetooth
Heated Seats
Logic 7 Sound
16k miles (was a two-year lease return out of Omaha, NE)

Thanks for everyone's feedback and honesty. Although I no longer a G35, I gotta say that this is one of the most helpful forums I've ever come across. Thanks again.

Here are some pictures...
Congratulations on the 335i coupe! Keep us posted and enjoy your new ride!

Old 12-11-2008, 09:15 AM
Nice good luck with it.

tg

Old 12-11-2008, 09:19 AM
you honestly made the right choice and the time to buy a car is now. I paid $34 or so for my well-equipped G. Our 335 with htd seats, sport pckg, nav and so on I couldn't touch under $42, so you have to value the extra cost in the BMW. Do I think there is $8,000 worth more in the BMW, no. I like the G better for a daily driver and it's more comfortable to get a few adults in to go out at night, but the BMW does handle like a mother, has some really good power and attracts more attention when I'm in it. Ours is a sedan, I think the 335 coupe is a mean looking bitch with a spring kit, wheels and dark **** tint.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by DTG
Well, my two closest friends (brothers) own ECARONE (www.ecarone.com) ...
What? No chit... I'm on that site ALL the time looking over their goodies. When I feel the time is right to get something there, I'm going to drop your name....

Old 12-11-2008, 11:19 AM
wow, nice 335i bro...i love that color combo

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35S 6MT vs. 335i Sedan 6spd