G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

G35S 6MT vs. 335i Sedan 6spd

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 12:03 PM
DTG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sredish
What? No chit... I'm on that site ALL the time looking over their goodies. When I feel the time is right to get something there, I'm going to drop your name....
Yes, I'm serious... Mike and Mark have been close friends to me for over 10 years and I've watched them grow the business over all this time.

They only deal with low mileage cars that are less than two years old and still under factory warranty. They also have in-house financing through various lenders at very competitive rates.

I took out a Maserati Quattroporte the other day and man that thing is a blast to drive!

They're good people and you won't be disappointed with what they carry.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:21 PM
'08 G35S with 3200 miles and still pretty tight. No rattles yet. Have found a pit on the grill but not sure if the dealer will take any responsibility for this as it could just be caused by road conditions. I was very interested in the 335i and conducted extensive research before deciding on the G. Here is why I chose the G.

1. Better comfort for daily driver

2. Far less problems in terms of major components failing as reported by current owners

3. BMW 335i is having numerous problems with major components.

4. Twin turbo addition on the G is expensive but upgrades a superior engine. Looking
at over 450 rwhp and 380 ft/lbs for about $10K.

5. IMHO the G tunes better and looks better.

6. My car is a daily driver and I need reliability.

Hope this helps. Either way you are going to be happy. Just be easy on yourself after you make your decision. If you get a G you are always going to see 335's and say "man should I have?" Same if you buy the G.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by DTG
I sold my '04 G35c6mt several months ago and bought a 540i auto but I really miss the manual. I'm selling the auto and I'm buying another 6spd but I need a sedan this time.

After driving various cars, I've decided on either a '07+ G35S 6MT or a '07+ 335i Sedan 6spd.

I think the G has a nicer interior and is a better overall value, but then the 335i has better performance and I can get 400 HP with a $1500 Vishnue chip.

The Bimmer will also have better handling out the box.

The Bimmer will cost a couple of more grand but then I'll get all the maintenance covered for free.

I'm torn! Any feedback would be great. Thanks.
The Bimmer will cost you more like $10K more unless you are willing to buy a a stripper with 6-speed manual. It all depends. If money weren't an issue I'd go for the 335i all the time, but with similar options and considering that BMW does not deal much, I would have had to drop around $12K more to get the 335i and the Bimmer is not worth that much in my world.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Nice choice, beautiful car

Old 01-02-2009, 09:37 AM
For the money, the G is the best car in it's class. The Bimmer is very nice but was way to expensive for me!
After nearly 1 year of ownership, I'm very happy with my car!!

Old 01-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by SpicyG35
Nice choice, beautiful car
Wonder why you're thinkin' that ...
Anyway, got a good lease deal too ... so I am leasing my 2008 G35 Journey/Sport. BMW didn't care to deal on '08 left-over 335i's and the price of a similarly equipped 335i is some $12K over my Infiniti which makes absolutely positively no sense ....

This is my first lease but looking at the horrendous depreciation these cars (or cars in general) suffer right now there is no way I am going to buy. My residual is 52% or $19,7XX. There is no way that my G35 will still be worth the almost $20K (52%) residual they figure in my lease after the 39 mo. are over. I can see what one year old 2007 G35's actually sell for right now on eBay and its around $14 to maybe $23K (look at completed auctions, not asking prices). I would not venture to say right now what a realistic residual for my G35 is after 39 mo ... but it will be scary. On top of that my Infiniti delaer tells me an all new G sedan will come out in late 2010 as a 2011 model, so watch resale plummet even more. Lease are also getting less attractive. BMW just announced that they removed the 2.0% lease interest and lease interest is going up to 4-6% again. Their resepctive residuals for new leases written now also have 2% lower residuals across the board compared to the same lease written in 2008. The collapse in the economy will drive this down even further.

Anyway ... My deal is ...
- Lease for 39 mo. with 12K mls. per year.
- MSRP of my G35S is $37,935
- Cap cost is $34,841 ... so they gave me a $3,094 discount to reduce cap cost.
- Residual is 52% after 39 mo. or $19,726
- Money factor is .00086 (or 2.06% interest) ... which I think is a really good lease interest.
- Paid $1,517 up front money (OTD) for: $495 Doc fee, $575 Acq. Fee and $447 first month's payment
- 38 payments @ $447.51/mo

I am very happy with this deal and I am sure I'll turn her back in when this lease is done.

Last edited by Alex D; 01-02-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good choice. Both nice cars but 335 still have problems. Fuel pump is one of them. Not sure how long they can go on with that crap. It has been 3 years people having problems with that. Still not fixed. BMW's reputation going down with that too. Sad to see bu glad we have no serious issues.

Go Infiniti.

tg

Old 01-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by tg1234
Good choice. Both nice cars but 335 still have problems. Fuel pump is one of them. Not sure how long they can go on with that crap. It has been 3 years people having problems with that. Still not fixed. BMW's reputation going down with that too. Sad to see bu glad we have no serious issues.

Go Infiniti.

tg
That is a great point. I agonized over G35 vs 335i decision. What sealed it for me is that I could get the 6MT in the G35 right away (Dec 2007). I have had the car for two years and the biggest problem I have had is that the sunroof finisher came off.

I would be pissed if I had gone the BMW route and had constant trips to the dealer for fuel pumps. Sure they'll fix it, but it still is my time. I have only had to do oil changes so far.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:23 AM
It seems there are not many competitors have reliable cars. All the troubles with the WRX 07,08,09. Yes even with the new 09. Less than 3-4 k on the engine and they fail.

Glad to be Infiniti owner. My biggest issue is a pitting grill. LOL I think some of those guys would be happy to have only one little cosmetic problem.

tg

Old 01-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I had a 2006 325i before I bought my 08 G35S. The BMW was in the shop at least once every other month, sometimes multiple times in a month for one thing or another. I had more rattles with the BMW than I have in the same time frame with the G35, in fact they had to replace a speaker, door panel, and add insulation tape and I still had rattles coming from the passenger door of my old 3'r. With the G35 the only annoyance is a slight rattle from the rear somewhere, but its not as noticeable or prevalent as the door rattle was on my 325i.

Despite this I was going to get a 335i, what made me change my mind was every dealers arrogance in my area. For me to get a 335i equipped close to the deal I had worked with Elk Grove Infiniti (08 G35/Sport/Premium/Tech/4WAS) it was 48-52k depending on the BMW dealer, my Infiniti was 36k + fees (plus they helped me get out of my 325i lease). When it came to deal time the Inifiniti dealers were great, the economy is bad I know cars aren't flying off their inventory sheets, however the BMW dealers sat there as if the cars were flying off the sheets ( I know they weren't I had seen the same 335i sit on a lot for nearly 2 months) and if they budged it was maybe $500, I think $1,200 was the best i ever got worked off. I have heard this story repeated from a few friends as well as co-workers. In the end because of BMW sales having their proverbial heads up their ***** one bought a Infiniti, the other a Merc. BMW sales are down, its no wonder why when they sit on inventory thinking they can sell it at or near MSRP in this economy.

I am a long time BMW owner. I have owned a 91 325is, 99 M3, 95 318ti (had so much fun auto x with this one), 04 M3, 06 325i. I still own a 07 X5. I love BMW, however I do not appreciate their arrogance in sales practices. They are costly to maintain after the warranty is up, and quite frankly I grew tired of their sales practices.

I made the choice to move to Infiniti, and I don't regret any of that choice. The G35 is a solid car, has great power and handling out of the box, and over all is one of the best and most enjoyable cars that I have ever owned. I can drive the hell out of it and not worry about much

Funny part, when I was buying the Infiniti they offered the paid maintenance, showing me what it would cost to do regular maintenance on the G35 up to 75k miles. I looked at the guy and said "no thanks, I spent more than that in 3 months on my old BMW". The cost of maintenance is great on these cars, I wanted to hug the guy when I saw the low cost of maintenance (even though that price sheet had way inflated prices), I know that sheet was meant to scare folks in to buying the plan, but to me it reassured me that this was a low maintenance car with reasonable repair costs..

Sorry if I rambled on a bit..

Last edited by PSXBatou; 01-03-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:45 PM
Hey PSX......that was an awesome summary of your experience with BMW. Never a ramble when you are providing excellent information as an informed and experienced source. I too have owned BMW and found the car to be very enjoyable, however, the acquisition and maintenance cost prove little to be desired. I am extremely happy with my '08 G35S. Thanks for the info.

Cheers,

Ken

Old 01-03-2009, 06:10 PM
I stand to be corrected, my take is BMW dealers will not budge when it comes to the 335i, selling the 335i is not a volumes driven business, thats what the 328i is for.The 335i is a profit margin business. So if you want a deal, they will direct you to the 328i and judging from the sales of the 328i, they have done ok.

When I was shopping for my G, I was also interested in the IS350, I was shocked by the treatment they gave me when I came in for the test dive, it was as if I was buying the LS460. Whereas I appreciated the gesture, I was like come on, this is not the liestyles of the rich and famous, its just a 40k car.

All I can say is the 335i and IS350 (although there are good cars) has a lot to do with a mirage to get you to pay more than necessary, judging from the posts here, people are wiser now

Old 01-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Does the BMW actually handle better? Or does it just make you feel like it does? I mean, is the BMW faster around a curvy track? I think I recall the G37 scoring significantly better on the slalom than a 335i coupe?

The reason I ask is that the BMW has a relatively cheap macpherson strut suspension whereas the G has a double wishbone set up. Yet everyone talks about how the G is a great car but the BMW just handles so awesome.

If it really DOES handle better, why? Is the chassis more rigid? Is it the weight balance being closer to 50/50? OEM Tire setup?

I know Porsche also uses the simpler suspension set up (strut suspension cannot allow the wheel to move up without following an arc, changing the camber) but I always assumed their lighter weight and rear biased weight distribution is making them handle better despite the suspension

Old 01-03-2009, 09:40 PM
I know one of the magazine got the G35X better on slalom and accelerating than the 335xi. Not sure about the 335i vs G35S. If you think about it it is impressive since the G is a size of the % series not the 3er.

tg

Old 01-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by mal_TX
Does the BMW actually handle better? Or does it just make you feel like it does? I mean, is the BMW faster around a curvy track? I think I recall the G37 scoring significantly better on the slalom than a 335i coupe?

The reason I ask is that the BMW has a relatively cheap macpherson strut suspension whereas the G has a double wishbone set up. Yet everyone talks about how the G is a great car but the BMW just handles so awesome.

If it really DOES handle better, why? Is the chassis more rigid? Is it the weight balance being closer to 50/50? OEM Tire setup?

I know Porsche also uses the simpler suspension set up (strut suspension cannot allow the wheel to move up without following an arc, changing the camber) but I always assumed their lighter weight and rear biased weight distribution is making them handle better despite the suspension

I've owned an G coupe 6mt and currently own a 335 6mt, and IMO the 335 handles better. Not sure if the numbers prove that but in terms of level of confidence and feel, the BMW wins. No idea what the technical reason, but it does. And it still remains quiet on the highway and around town. It really is a nice car that is fast, handles great, feels solid, yet doesn't beat you up - BUT it costs alot more and for the money, I'll always say the G is the top car. Close to $50k decently equipped is about $5k too much I believe. The BMW dealerships in my area are not great either. Most of the salespeople just ignore you. Also found out that you don't get loaners at every dealership when your car is in for service. Seems pretty crappy for a $50k car.

Car has been trouble fee so far. I'd only lease a BMW.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35S 6MT vs. 335i Sedan 6spd