G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

G35S 6MT vs. 335i Sedan 6spd

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by san~man
I own both, so again, I do favor the 3 over the G when price isn't factored in.

Fuel pump: the 09s just came out so naturally there aren't any failure rates there, but in mid/late 08 they changed the design of the pump so it hasn't been an issue of late. There was a supply problem (getting the new pumps), but I haven't read anything about that lately. They don't fail that often, and it's usually due to guys running more boost. Sure, there's been a couple of cases of it going bad on a bone stock car, but **** fails and that's why we have a warranty. If it does fail out of warranty, it's only $2XX.XX (IIRC) not some enormous amount.

Oil cooler: if you bought an 07 with the sport package, there was a chance that you didn't get one stock. It wasn't on the spec sheet but rather something BMW decided to upgrade late in the year. Some people got the OC installed at no charge after the fact, some didn't. They have no failure rate AFAIK, and I have never read of one going bad. Every 335 from early 08 with the ZSP package had a factory oil cooler installed.

Turbo lag: mine is stock (other than exhaust and some other small mods), but there is no lag. The turbos are too small to make any lag. Lag came into play when BMW introduced new progmans for the DME, but the latest update seems to have fixed that. Certain piggybacks now address lag for those who have that particular progman that introducted lag. In some cases, lag was all in the head of the driver.

RFT: Mine came with the Michelin Pilot RFTs, but I took them off. People had some problems with the other brand BMW uses, but hell, it's a tire. It isn't like BMW makes that tire.

And, BMW made top 10 again this year too, so that's a moot point. They are the car that Infiniti and every other car maker aims for and wants to be in that catagory. They are both great cars and I love both of them, but price difference aside the 3 is better.

I'm not posting in this thread for the arguments sake, but to rather give someone who is actually considering a 3 accurate information, not speculation.
+1

I own a 335 as well (6mt with ZSP, etc). I previously owned a G coupe 6mt. Once you have owned both cars and have driven them for awhile you start to see how great of a car the 3 is. There are definitely some things I'd change, but from a driving perspective, they are hard to fault.

And I also agree that there is no turbo lag. Acceleration is immediate and getting on the gas pedal is rewarded with thick, linear acceleration. There was someone on this forum that was trying to tell me on a separate thread that the 3 has turbo lag and I must not know about NA high horsepower cars to judge turbo lag. I drove a G37 S Sedan recently (6mt) and there was more lag (meaning less push when I was on the gas at lower rpm) in that car then in my 335.

With all that being said, I will probably be in a G when my lease is up. The 335 is appreciably more expensive and the rates are worse now than when I picked one up last. The G is a nice car as well, with more than enough power, and makes nice sounds, handles well, etc. All for a reasonable price. If the rates drop, I'll probably get back into a 335 though (maybe an AWD 6mt with Sport package).

Old 01-06-2009, 02:58 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
Mine has the sport package with 18 inch wheels and Micheline rubber. I will say 3 is more tossable through smaller corners but when it comes to high speed cornering, I would give the G the edge, eventhough the 3 just feels tight and limitless. The reason I say this is because i have pushed both cars very hard and the confidence that 3 gives u is incredible but when u get close to the limit, u better be very quick with the steerring in the 3 otherwise it will bite u really bad.

One thing that I know is that the average driver will say 3 is heads and shoulders above the G when it comes to handling but that simply is not true. They are very close and one late braking or exiting one corner faster will give that particular car the edge.
The main differences I notice are:
1. High speed stability, meaning when driving on a road with slight dips/inclines, the 3 feels much more stable than the G. I blame the "comfort" suspension on the G (softer spring rates and less stiff dampeners), even though it's an "S" model.
2. Flatter cornering in turns in the 3, which is in correlation to #1. I'm planning to upgrade my sways first on the G, so I'll revisit this after I change them out.
3. Better brakes on the 3. Seems like they're more linear in their feel than the G, where the G will seem to bite with 7-8/10ths breaking. The G's brakes are good, but I give the edge to the 3's brakes.

The 3 does give the driver confidence, that's for sure.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And all those reasons stated to why the 3 has slight advantages is why the 3 is priced higher. More German refinement. Our cars are incredible for the price but those little extras are always apart of german pricing. Still love the G though.