G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Need Some Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Some Advice

Hello All,

I am planning on purchasing a G37 sedan in the near future (within the next month). I made a mistake of not consulting an enthusiast forum before purchasing my last car (2007 TL) ... and I want to make sure that I gain as much knowledge as possible in order to give me the upper hand when it comes to negotiating price and options with the dealer.

A little history about myself, because I do not think I have properly introduced myself on this forum. The VQ I currently own is the 2003 Nissan Altima 3.5. I am having major timing chain issues with the car, and am therefore looking to get rid of the car and get into a G37. I was looking for any general things you think I should know about the car. I definitely need the six speed although I know the automatic is faster with its seven gears, manual is a necessity for me. I will also probably want navi as I have become quite dependent on it in my TL and can't imagine life without it anymore.

Are there any common issues that I should know about this car? Any things I need to look for as in bad paint or anything like that? How are the manual transmission with this car ... any gears that don't engage properly or anything like that? Would you all recommend that I get the extended warranty on the car? I tend to keep my cars up to 100,000 miles or more.

Anything else you guys think that I should know.

Thank you very much for any advice you can give me.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:54 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
I think most of the kinks have been ironed out for the G37. If I were you, I would definitely get the pkg with the backup camera--you can't see the back end at all. I think the G37 has that with the NAV so you are good. You will find that the G is better than your altima in every way. Price is very dependent on location. There are only two Infiniti dealers in my state so they do not tend to offer great deals. That said, Nissan/Infiniti are hurting right now so you should be able to get a great deal and very good trade-in value. Personally, I love my 6MT. Very fun to drive once you get used to it. Bottom line: I would recommend the G to anyone.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:48 PM
I realized I posted this in the wrong section ... would it be possible for a moderator to move this into the G37 forum??? Thank you.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VQPower37
I realized I posted this in the wrong section ... would it be possible for a moderator to move this into the G37 forum??? Thank you.
Come on!!!! Don't compare yur Altima to the G. It's low and Hi

Old 12-30-2008, 03:19 AM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Done

Old 12-30-2008, 08:45 AM
Hello All,

I am planning on purchasing a G37 sedan in the near future (within the next month). I made a mistake of not consulting an enthusiast forum before purchasing my last car (2007 TL) ... and I want to make sure that I gain as much knowledge as possible in order to give me the upper hand when it comes to negotiating price and options with the dealer.

A little history about myself, because I do not think I have properly introduced myself on this forum. The VQ I currently own is the 2003 Nissan Altima 3.5. I am having major timing chain issues with the car, and am therefore looking to get rid of the car and get into a G37. I was looking for any general things you think I should know about the car. I definitely need the six speed although I know the automatic is faster with its seven gears, manual is a necessity for me. I will also probably want navi as I have become quite dependent on it in my TL and can't imagine life without it anymore.

Are there any common issues that I should know about this car? Any things I need to look for as in bad paint or anything like that? How are the manual transmission with this car ... any gears that don't engage properly or anything like that? Would you all recommend that I get the extended warranty on the car? I tend to keep my cars up to 100,000 miles or more.

Anything else you guys think that I should know.

Thank you very much for any advice you can give me.

Coming from owning 2 Infiniti's years ago and most recently 5 different TL's most recently were 08 Type-S and getting ready to pull trigger on G37 myself. I have driven the G35 now about 5 different times, some as long as an hour. My initial observations are the G is more a driving machine. I feel my Type-S TL handled a bit better, but then I am not looking at a Sport Package G becasue the seats are too tight on my 6 foot american frame. I think the G is a great balance of comfort and handling. The things that I think the TL excels at is the tech stuff, their NAV is one of the best in the business, no lockout while moving, superior voice control and even the old 04-08 TL nav screen was bigger and clearer than a G. The ELS system in the Acura is a tad cleaner and offered better sound seperation, but the G delivers better uniform sound through its entire power band, although it is very much front focused. Having dealt with 5 TLs from 04-08 I can tell you that Infiniti fit and finish appears to be better. I'll take a Japanese built car over an Ohio built car any day. The G steering is a tad numb compared to the 04-08 TL, and more so than a Type-S, but it is still good. In 08 they fixed the large ON/OFF feel of the throttle so the G now launchs more smooth and uniform, but still is like a rocket compared to a TL. The G is a smaller car, it is a few inches narrower and compared with the RWD tunnel you feel it compared to a TL.
I look at it this way the TL was a luxury car firt with some sport hints, the G is a sporty car with luxury appointments.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 G35 Journey Sedan no sunroof
Originally Posted by mishmosh
I think most of the kinks have been ironed out for the G37.
Not really. The engine is still relatively new and the 08 G37 coupes have had engine noise problems.

If you want a deal on a 6 speed, look for an 08 model. If you want a deal on an 09 model, you'll may have to wait until spring or summer and find one that's been sitting around for a while.... but that's not as likely for a 6 speed since dealers don't order many (or any, in some cases). You may not get as good a deal if you special order (unless you have many dealers to choose from in your area).

Old 12-30-2008, 06:18 PM
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
Not really. The engine is still relatively new and the 08 G37 coupes have had engine noise problems.
And the VQ35HR was out for how long when you got your 08?

I'll give you the answer, it was starting its SECOND year.
Do you have any links to the 37 engine issues?

Old 12-31-2008, 03:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 G35 Journey Sedan no sunroof
Go to any G37 forum and there are threads on engine noise and the dealer requiring nissan ester oil to cover up the noise.

I wish I could have gotten my 08 sedan in the 3rd year of the engine/tranny, but I guessed in May that the drivetrain would change for 09 (it did) -- and I needed a car then, could not wait. Only big problems with 07 G sedan were related to tranny software and iKey (both of which were fixed for 08).

When buying a car for the long term, it's best to wait a year (or two) and let other owners get the kinks out of a new model.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
If you're in CA, well.. you know where to go