G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Motive - BMW 335i Sedan vs. Infiniti G37S Sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by manbeer
Maybe AS fast, but not faster

Paired with the standard six-speed transmission, this is sufficient to propel the 3616-pound 335i to 60 mph in 4.8 seconds, with essentially no turbo lag—the tiny hesitation between the time the driver punches the throttle and the onset of full boost. That's a tenth quicker to 60 mph than was the slightly lighter 335i coupe, an advantage the sedan held through the quarter-mile (13.5 seconds at 106 mph)
From Dead stop 335 is a rocket compared to the G and most other cars. This thing can take off very easily with minimal practice. My first ever launch i did with this car was at the drag strip and i managed to do 2.0 60ft time on the very first run.
It took me over a year to crack the 2.1 mark with my G.

On the other hand when it comes to high speed runs 3 dies after 6k rpm, keep in mind the redline is set at 7k. I have yet to try early shifting and see if that makes a difference but that last 1000 rpm dead spot is costing this car lots of speed. Anything other that 0-x run the G37 sedan will be a quicker car unless you are racing 4000ft above sea level.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They are so close at this point that it no longer matters. Driver, temperature, altitude, a few pebbles on the road at launch, etc. are the things separating these two cars at the drag strip.

Which one wins around a racetrack probably depends on the racetrack layout and random conditions as well. Although I haven't seen any side-by-side results personally. The only place they really differ in performance is the wider power band of the 335 which would be an advantage getting out of corners except that the 335 has an open diff and the G37S's LSD would likely nullify any power band advantage with its superior ability to put its power to the ground.

The differences can no longer be significantly measured in performance numbers. The real differences are in price, engine refinement, handling "feel", engine "feel" and how/where they make power, interior quality (maybe), and aesthetic appeal.

Every one of those things except price is subjective and thus this argument is un-winnable.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
From Dead stop 335 is a rocket compared to the G and most other cars. This thing can take off very easily with minimal practice. My first ever launch i did with this car was at the drag strip and i managed to do 2.0 60ft time on the very first run.
It took me over a year to crack the 2.1 mark with my G.

On the other hand when it comes to high speed runs 3 dies after 6k rpm, keep in mind the redline is set at 7k. I have yet to try early shifting and see if that makes a difference but that last 1000 rpm dead spot is costing this car lots of speed. Anything other that 0-x run the G37 sedan will be a quicker car unless you are racing 4000ft above sea level.
That is true, they really do run out of steam in the higher revs. Under 90% of circumstances though, because of the torque curve, the 335 will be faster because you won't really have the need to rev the crap out of it to get decent performance. Either way, the two will give each other some stiff competition

Old 01-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by oab97
They are so close at this point that it no longer matters. Driver, temperature, altitude, a few pebbles on the road at launch, etc. are the things separating these two cars at the drag strip.

Which one wins around a racetrack probably depends on the racetrack layout and random conditions as well. Although I haven't seen any side-by-side results personally. The only place they really differ in performance is the wider power band of the 335 which would be an advantage getting out of corners except that the 335 has an open diff and the G37S's LSD would likely nullify any power band advantage with its superior ability to put its power to the ground.

The differences can no longer be significantly measured in performance numbers. The real differences are in price, engine refinement, handling "feel", engine "feel" and how/where they make power, interior quality (maybe), and aesthetic appeal.

Every one of those things except price is subjective and thus this argument is un-winnable.
On the track, the 335i will probably be faster because of more aggressive sport suspension setup. It has lower springs and lower aspect tires and the car overall is a bit lower as well. The G sedan sport suspension is a bit too tall and the tires are not meant for track racing.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by oab97

Wise words indeed sir. I see a 335i and I do not envy it at all. Love my G35 and have not been disappointed. The converse is obviously true for the 335i owners. Lets just

Old 01-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Thought this topics was about economics! Both cars are fast? Isn't that enough

Just a quick note: the 335i coupe w/ aero kit is extremely sexy when compared to the G37 coupe and the new sedan doesn't look bad either (in person) minus the mirrors.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by tekieru
Thought this topics was about economics! Both cars are fast? Isn't that enough

Just a quick note: the 335i coupe w/ aero kit is extremely sexy when compared to the G37 coupe and the new sedan doesn't look bad either (in person) minus the mirrors.
any pic of the aero kit? is it after market?

Old 01-28-2009, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by LudwigB
any pic of the aero kit? is it after market?
No, BMW offers an offer kit for the 3 series both the coupe and the sedan. Listed below are two pics of the front. I don't have one of the rear. Sorry.

Last edited by tekieru; 01-28-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:47 PM
Old 01-28-2009, 05:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol.... the 335 is a POS in light of the existence of a 135... all these speed freaks comparing 335's to G's should be in 135's in the first place if they were real enthusiasts... Smaller car... same grunt...

Never the less.... the 30% price difference in the 2 cars = a New FI system for the G37... in which case I would say its safe to say up top mod potential wise... the G's will win out...

How many VQ35's are there in the 500whp+ range with stock internals? and how many bimmers w/ the same?

Old 01-28-2009, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by shabarivas
How many VQ35's are there in the 500whp+ range with stock internals? and how many bimmers w/ the same?
Umm...like less VQ's than i can count on one hand, and hundreds of BMW's if not more, including ones with 150k miles on the stock blocks

The stock I6's in E36 (92-98/99) 3 series seem to max out in the mid 6's, guy on the first site was past 700whp and had been boosting a couple years before he bent a rod. E46 M3's have been known to get to 600whp on stock internals. That's not getting into the bigger engines and ones that came factory FI. I would put money on the N54 being capable of well over 600.

http://www.bmwturbo328.com/page2.html
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=589544
http://www.icsperformance.com/icsm3wb1.htm

Old 01-29-2009, 05:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
On the track, the 335i will probably be faster because of more aggressive sport suspension setup. It has lower springs and lower aspect tires and the car overall is a bit lower as well. The G sedan sport suspension is a bit too tall and the tires are not meant for track racing.
The two cars use the same tires, minus the Runflats on the G.

Tall suspension? Tell that to the EVO and STI guys. Have you seen the wheel gaps on the STI?

Old 01-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tekieru
No, BMW offers an offer kit for the 3 series both the coupe and the sedan. Listed below are two pics of the front. I don't have one of the rear. Sorry.
That is just the front aero lip offered for the BMW 335i coupe (E92), and it is part of the M aero kit on the coupe. The offer a full m-tech kit for the coupe and sedan (both are in the $1000 to $1500 range for the full front and rear bumper, side skirts, and rear diffuser). They offer a full M aero kit for the coupe with front lip and rear bumper (that front lip is part of it).

All 3 look pretty good on the BMW's. Check out E90post.com for some pictures of all 3 kits.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:52 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Finally an owner who's not in denial about the 3's suspension

Old 01-31-2009, 05:18 PM
The 335's sport suspension is definitely better than the G's.

The which car is better argument will never end. It all comes down to personal preference. Let's just be glad we have the option of two great cars in the G and 335.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Motive - BMW 335i Sedan vs. Infiniti G37S Sedan