G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Fix a rear bumper ding - or not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fix a rear bumper ding - or not?

Rear bumper was tagged at very low speed yesterday while stopped at a light and it caused a very minor amount of damage to the rear bumper. Plate frame from the other car pretty much hit square on my plate at very low speed. Small ding on the right side of the "plate box" of the bumper, two letters from the other cars plate frame indented in the side of the "plate box" and a screw imprint on the bumper just outside of it. If you are more than 3 feet away from it is barely noticeable.

Other car completely at fault and will cost @ $700 to fix. Problem is, even though its paid for, its a major hassle. Have to take time from work to drop the car off, then pay for the rental car, then pick the car up when its done in a few days - to say nothing of the dealing with the other drivers insurance company and all of that hassle.

Had the car for two years and have no plans to get rid of it any time soon.

Anyone else have this happen and just said screw it, its not worth it. With a capful of bondo and touch up paint I could probably get it back to 95% in about an hour.

Last edited by dcmidnight; 02-26-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:13 PM
I'd get it fixed right...since the other guys at fault..but thats just me.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fix it. No question about it. I would not be able to look at my car with a ding on it. Even if you not fixing it at least get the money from the insurance.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:39 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I street park in NYC frequently and was pretty much resigned to having dings due to people's tendency to "touch park" Right now have a 5-6 number of small scratches/dings on my bumper, hardly noticeable to most but I know they're there and yes they do bother me. I bought some touch up, a sandbar etc but now think that it's best I let a shop take care of them and am stalling partly because of laziness and partly due to firm belief in Murphy's law - just as I get them fixed, then it's only a short while before someone else dings it again... However, if I had one ding and the other guy was clearly at fault, there is no question I would fix it.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you dont have to pay for it fix it, No one else might notice it but you will, and since you're planning on keeping the car why not? Unless you're waiting for an aftermarket rear bumper.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:08 PM
I've got the exact same issues. I've been hit TWICE on my front bumper, pretty much just cosmetic - the second time left stress fractures but since I had on my vinyl bra there's no paint damage and its not noticeable but needs replacing.

The damage isnt that visible and I street park a lot around Austin so lots of little stuff on front and rear bumpers. I'm thinking about just taking the money to fix it and waiting until there's more serious damage or something more noticeable then fixing it later on.

I plan on keeping my car as long as possible, and I've come to accept little bumper scrapes and stuff while street parking so I'm going to wait.

My mom did the same thing - two small dings on her rear bumper due to license plate bolts, she just pocketed the check and is going to wait and see if something worse happens then repari it

Old 02-26-2009, 05:20 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
I would at least get the money for it. It's your choice to fix it or not but they need to pay.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:42 PM
Their insurance company should pay for your rental. They will also make sure the body shop takes as little time as possible.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:03 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Fix it... a ding would drive me nuts.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:05 PM
it's a no brainer, fix it. You'll get a rental car. Just find the best shop in town. I walked in to get an estimate and there parked in the bay was a blue ferrari430 convertible. That gives you confidence. Fix it; at least pocket the money if you can live with dents - I can't.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:32 PM
Ditto. Would bother me too. It's bad enough that the paint job on the Gs are fair to say the least [scratches so easily]. The bumper damage will stick out like a "saw thumb" especially when the weather is good and you've washed and WAXED 'er....

Old 03-15-2009, 12:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have the same thing. Scratched the rear bumper backing up. Getting it fixed. Thankfully the shop I go to only charges me 200 to repaint the entire bumper. And the match is dead perfect (had work done there before).

Old 03-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Other than for visual reasons, you also don't know exactly how much of the reinforcement behind the bumper cover is damaged. So better get it fixed. It doesn't take much to get those deformed, and in a real accident they may not hold up as designed.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:19 PM
bondo...seriously?! what happens when at some point down the road you want to trade your car for a new one...the dealership asks "did you have any paint/bodywork done on your rear bumper because it look like crap *** bondo and touch up paint." just fix it right.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Getting it fixed would my choice, especially when it doesn't hurt you financially.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fix a rear bumper ding - or not?