G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Steering Wheel Rattle/Squeak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 02:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steering Wheel Rattle/Squeak

I rarely drive the G as I mainly work from home so it's the wifey's daily. In any event, I've noticed a rattle/high-pitch squeak for quite some time now and was able to pinpoint where it's coming from.

It's coming from the steering wheel/column area. To replicate, all I have to do is tap the steering wheel around 3 o'clock and it'll make the sound every time. I was curious if anyone experiences the same or has in the past? It'll make this rattle/squeak when going over bumps or rough road sections.

EDIT: solution was replacement part: LID-CLUSTER-68240-JK61A

Last edited by JawKnee; 02-04-2010 at 10:54 PM. Reason: solution-replacement part
Old 05-12-2009, 03:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep. I've got that on my '08 too. Seems like the whole steering column/instrument cluster assembly squeaks. I think it comes from the back of the instrument cluster where it meets the dash. I notice it mostly going over bumps. I can't really reproduce it by hitting the steering wheel, though I haven't tried extensively.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by kilrbz
Yep. I've got that on my '08 too. Seems like the whole steering column/instrument cluster assembly squeaks. I think it comes from the back of the instrument cluster where it meets the dash. I notice it mostly going over bumps. I can't really reproduce it by hitting the steering wheel, though I haven't tried extensively.

It wasn't until this weekend where I realized hitting the steering wheel would reproduce it every time. I initially noticed it going over bumps as well.

I guess I'll ultimately bring it into the dealership, but was curious if anyone had the same issue and knows what the fix(es) are. If simple enough, I'd fix myself and save a trip to the dealership.

Fortunately, this is the only issue that I have with the car so far.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Its the only problem I've had so far too (in 11k miles). The dealer is too far away to be worth the trip just for that. If something more serious needs attention, then I'll head to the dealer and have them check this too though I have doubts about whether they could do anything. Now that its getting warmer I'm curious to see if it was a cold weather thing.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by kilrbz
Its the only problem I've had so far too (in 11k miles). The dealer is too far away to be worth the trip just for that. If something more serious needs attention, then I'll head to the dealer and have them check this too though I have doubts about whether they could do anything. Now that its getting warmer I'm curious to see if it was a cold weather thing.

I may try to see if I can isolate it further and come up with any fixes over the next few days before scheduling a visit to the dealership. Will keep you updated.

Maybe someone else has experienced the same and can chime in.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Me too has same ploblem here.everytime that you got into the bump (little) it's squeakkk! No matter hard or soft drive.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:50 PM
UPDATE: 2009-09-15

Took the car into the dealership last Friday and had it addressed. Per the service invoice:

"Verified squeak noise from gauge cluster lense, buffered lense to cluster with felt tape to correct excessive friction".

"Replaced gauge cluster trim to correct delamination". Parts: LID-CLUSTER-68240-JK61A

And for clarification, the noise is now gone.

Last edited by JawKnee; 09-16-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:30 PM
I recently noticed this issue. It's really audible when certain notes are played on the radio. But now I'm not sure if its the steering column or the speakers.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by yarrh
I recently noticed this issue. It's really audible when certain notes are played on the radio. But now I'm not sure if its the steering column or the speakers.
If you look up a few posts, I was able to confirm by simply tapping on the steering wheel.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by JawKnee
If you look up a few posts, I was able to confirm by simply tapping on the steering wheel.
Thanks, I missed that. My dealer changed my cluster lense a month ago. bingo

Old 09-16-2009, 10:23 AM
I have the same exact noise happening, everytime i bring it to the dealer they say theres nothing wrong with it. And it happens mostly over bumps as well. Drives me CRAZY when you want a quiet ride. I have a 08 G35s

Old 09-28-2009, 11:35 PM
Hmmm, interesting. I've had a squeaking noise and thought that it might be the instrument cluster.

Turns out it is the horn/airbag cover. I think I read others have had this problem as well.

Just wanted to throw that out there so people know there might be another option before having your dash torn apart.

Easy way to tell - when you start going over bumps and hear the squeak, put your hand on the horn and press it lightly (just enough pressure to stop the squeak and not honk the horn).

Haven't been back to the dealer to have them fix yet but others have had success using the link for installing the shifter paddles. Evidently there are instructions for removing/tightening the screws that hold this piece in place.

Glad you got yours fixed!

Jay

Old 09-29-2009, 07:35 PM
I have the same problem, mine isn't a squeaking but more of a rattling type noise coming from the left side of my steering wheel. I think I figured out it's the housing over the steering column. Seems to only rattle when I make left turns not right, go figure =\

Old 09-30-2009, 03:00 AM
I had the same problem, so the dealer put some kind of puddy to fill the inside of the steering wheel. It was good for about a year and now its coming back. Dealer didnt charge me.

ps Thats the first thing i noticed about the G37 sedan that they corrected it. Aint that a b*tCh

Old 09-30-2009, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by SleepyG
I had the same problem, so the dealer put some kind of puddy to fill the inside of the steering wheel. It was good for about a year and now its coming back. Dealer didnt charge me.

ps Thats the first thing i noticed about the G37 sedan that they corrected it. Aint that a b*tCh
Every car has it's problems man, My dads cadillac had HUGE brake and transmission issues, Audi has transmission issues, Merc-Benz and BMW both have electrical problems. There isn't ONE car on this planet that does NOT have a problem with it

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Rattle/Squeak