G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

8000K vs Stock headlights - Pics inside!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Coryuyede
Hmm, i would be a little doubtful, about damaged during shipping. Hid bulbs are fragile, but to be honest, Halogens can be just as fragile if not more so. The only thing aside from the glass that could break during shipping for those things would be the return wire. but you would most likely see it. If the ignitor isn't firing it up, i would switch the old hid back, just to see if it still fires, to verifiy Ballast/ignitor operation. If the oem bulb works, clean the inner contacts of your 8k bulb, try again.

seeing as these bulbs are 8k, they're guaranteed to be made in china/taiwan/korea. Sylvania,Phillips/Osram don't make bulbs over 6k, so quality could be suspect? good luck though.
I think they're Japanese bulbs. Maybe Mike can clarify?

Do you have any idea what to do about flickering. The bulb fires up just fine, the light pattern is just fine. But the exact center of the beam when I'm parked facing a wall jiggles, and shakes and flickers. Just the very center of the beam, the rest of the wide beam seems to be there.

Originally Posted by prech
To makeup for the lost brightness by going to the higher color temp, consider upgrading to 55w ballasts? At 8000k, I'm sure the increase would be pretty apparent...
I honestly didn't notice much loss. But my 4300Ks are back in for now anyway

Old 05-21-2009, 01:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks great!

Old 05-21-2009, 03:41 PM
I have 6000k with upgraded 55w ballast with no problems at all with heat. this combo actually provides more lumens than stock.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by popcornten
I think they're Japanese bulbs. Maybe Mike can clarify?

Do you have any idea what to do about flickering. The bulb fires up just fine, the light pattern is just fine. But the exact center of the beam when I'm parked facing a wall jiggles, and shakes and flickers. Just the very center of the beam, the rest of the wide beam seems to be there.
Popcornten, Flickering Typically means the Ballast Isn't getting enough current. Less current mean less boosted ballast voltage, which leads to improper/inefficient arcing inside the bulbs. Which is what you're seeing.

I can't explain WHY you would only see the flicking in the center of the beam, possibly because that area has the most concentrated amount of light, so it's easier to notice there. Flickering can be related to bad wiring(poor ground). It could also be the bulbs, the ballasts could be fine an everything, but they're just struggling to light those particular bulbs. If possible try swapping bulbs to eliminate the flickering. I doubt the OEM wiring would have grounding issues.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:28 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
go to ddmtuning.com and order some replacement HID bulbs.

Get 5k or 6k and call it a day (they are like $35 shipped, i bought these for my car and they look great)

Those 8k hurt my eyes. Waaaay to blue.

Rest of the car looks very nice though man! Nice work!

Old 05-22-2009, 04:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Coryuyede
Popcornten, Flickering Typically means the Ballast Isn't getting enough current. Less current mean less boosted ballast voltage, which leads to improper/inefficient arcing inside the bulbs. Which is what you're seeing.

I can't explain WHY you would only see the flicking in the center of the beam, possibly because that area has the most concentrated amount of light, so it's easier to notice there. Flickering can be related to bad wiring(poor ground). It could also be the bulbs, the ballasts could be fine an everything, but they're just struggling to light those particular bulbs. If possible try swapping bulbs to eliminate the flickering. I doubt the OEM wiring would have grounding issues.
Sounds like you know you're stuff! Well my 4300K stock bulbs are back in and I so far haven't noticed anything wrong. So according to what you said, it would seem the ballasts, wiring, etc is fine and it's most likely the bulb right?

I have a BB grounding kit, so the whole car should be grounded pretty well. I guess it's just the bulb

Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
go to ddmtuning.com and order some replacement HID bulbs.

Get 5k or 6k and call it a day (they are like $35 shipped, i bought these for my car and they look great)

Those 8k hurt my eyes. Waaaay to blue.

Rest of the car looks very nice though man! Nice work!
So you'd stand behind those bulbs? Seems really cheap - how long have you had them? Yeah I'd probably go with 6000K. These bulbs have a great color but the perfect bulb is probably right in the middle.

Thanks man, I've got g37 wheels in the mail and some other plans for the summer to keep me busy