G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Why are the Lexus IS350 forums saying the G35 has lots of problems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 10:33 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by san~man
That **** happens on every car forum, not only there. Fanboys will be fanboys, and will say that "our car doesn't have as many problems as brand 'x' " or crap like that.
+1 - usually based on limited info.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
is there a recall campaign on the sunroof trim issue? how about the gas cap tether? i have both problems.

i also noticed yesterday the rubber door trim on all four doors was loose in spots.

also, the "varistor" in the passenger seat was fixed on my car. i believe that solves the air bag not coming on when someone is in the passenger seat problem.

amp

Old 06-16-2009, 09:52 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
I'm not sure why we'd need a "Recall" campaign for the problems mentioned above.
I didn't have the cap tether issue, but the dealer fixed my sunroof in 10 minutes, while I got an oil change.
I don't see that justifying a recall.

I do have issues with the door trim. I agree that even touching it causes it to almost fall right off the car.
It's one of my biggest complaints on this car (which I'm still totally happy with )

Old 06-16-2009, 11:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chairman25
Then they charged him $75 to rotate the tires, which cannot be done on a G35 S because the tire sizes fron and rear are different and they would not refund his money. They claimed it was a "computer glitch".
I would go ballistic and if they didn't refund, sue them for fraud. You just cannot charge people for services that have not been rendered.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:34 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
They have to talk **** on Gs, thats the only way they can sleep at night thinking their Lxus is better then our Gs. Dont get it confused though I would love to own a 350 modded up so I dont look like a girl

Old 06-16-2009, 11:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lilindienplaya
They have to talk **** on Gs, thats the only way they can sleep at night thinking their Lxus is better then our Gs. Dont get it confused though I would love to own a 350 modded up so I dont look like a girl
From what I read on the Lexus forums, the IS engines are difficult/expensive to mod. Difficult also means that there aren't many aftermarket parts. That is another reason I went back to the G.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:13 AM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
most of the Lexus IS guys don't mod or drive their cars hard like the Infiniti guys. I just can't get over the small space in the IS350's. oh yeah, I like the rear sunshade they have but still not AWD in the IS350 and no 6mt out of it.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:58 AM
My cousin had a almost pretty fully loaded IS350 couple years ago. To be honest it was pretty nice, I only driven it once or twice but never got to really get used to it or push it hard. But from fit and finish... i think lexus beats the g its pretty noticeable. The lexus is quieter, it shuts out like every noise outside ( i wish my car was like that )

The gauges are pretty cool too lots of tech. in that car. Either the same or possibly more tech in that car for example....auto locking doors (duh infiniti) automatic side view mirrors tilt when in reverse, cooled seats....spot map lights.... ML sound system avaiable , and about the gauges its hard to explain but its pretty cool go test drive one ull see what i mean

The car pulls pretty hard too, if the G does beat it i dont think by much.

Butttt. in terms of looks G looks 10x better much more aggressive and u know its a G, when u drive up to a lexus is350 it takes a while to know for sure its a lexus. Also I hated the front end of the lexus also...engine sound and Exhaust note is much better as well.

Im pretty happy with the G (espeically when i get it back) but if i had the "lexus quiet" and all it's tech. and options in the G, I would then give my G a 10 for sure, but for now 8.9 =)

Old 11-18-2010, 02:16 AM
Hold The Line

Received 622 Likes on 406 Posts
Meh, who cares. Amongst all the "problems" we have, stuck gas pedals aren't one of them j/k... sorta

Old 11-18-2010, 09:01 AM
I belive lexus, bmw, mb are out of the top 10 for having the least problems. I think Infiniti was 5 or so with the least.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:44 AM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
I believe that the Infiniti stepped up there game in 07, and again in 09 when the G37 sedan's came out. more power for your buck. I have no problem w/ my 08 sedan. Of course people are gong to be bias w/ the car they have and hate on others. I am bias when i give my car a 10. The only problem i have w/ it is the electrical and i have to take it in to the dealer to fix my mistake. BUT that only because i am moding the car. Now i have this stupid passenger air bag blinking at me non-stop so i have a posted note there so i don't see the blinking.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by kgh31386
They said all year models of the G35 had problems, including the 07 and up. Why would they say that? They won't specify in their threads, just simply stated there are mechanical issues with this car...I thought it was pretty solid
I have both a 2007 Infiniti G35x Sedan and a 2007 Lexus ES 350. Both have had mechanical issues, with Lexus more widespread (look at the recalls they issued regarding mechanical issues.)

Lexus recalled the oil pipe on my Lexus ES 350 (and the IS models too), but I did the recall too late. A month after I received the letter for the recall, my oil pipe burst, leaking oil everywhere and caused a huge mess. My engine probably also overheated. After paying out of pocket $650 to fix the problem, Lexus reimbursed me and did the recall. However, the engine was never the same after that. There is a large vibration issue when idling with my Lexus.

Not to mention Lexus had the accelerator mat recall TWICE on my car. (Even though it wasn't mechanical, I never had a problem.) My ECU also died when Lexus tried to update my ECU, and had to be replaced. I've also had HVAC issues with my car that had to be replaced.

I've also had many problems with my Infiniti G. I had my power steering rack replaced because of a leak. I've also had to replace the belt because the belt tensioner was bad. I also developed an engine tick, and I will be going to the dealer to have it looked at. The other problems were more minor, and non mechanical (scratches in the interior, Weatherstrip, etc.)

The Infiniti has a less widespread mechanical problem than Lexus does. I'm sure my issues were just specific to my G. I also drive the heck out of my G more than the Lexus. The Lexus isn't nearly as sporty and it's more luxury than sport. RhinoKill, the Infiniti G is more sport than luxury, so expect it to be louder than a luxury car than Lexus.

I've also driven the 2008 BMW 328xi, and that car has better handling than the G, although not too much to the average consumer.

The Lexus IS350 forums are just probably jealous that our cars are faster with better handling (and they paid more for their car too.) They'll do anything to hate on the G.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 11-18-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No one is really answering the OP question.

As a former Lexus owner I have been on the Lexus forums for over 7 years. The reason why they say the G35 has lots of problems is that most Lexus owners believe that there car is located on the following hierarchy.

Top Tier: Ferrari Porsche Aston Lambos ect
Tier 1:Lexus Mercedes BMW and Audi to a lesser extent.
Tier 2: Acura Infiniti Sabb Volvo ect...
Tier 3 Subarus Fords Chevy ect...

So to begin with they believe they are better than everyone else besides BMW and Merc. They have a point. My 98 GS400 had better materials and a better stock non upgraded stereo than my 08xS G35 that has the Bose SOW. Lexus uses quality materials and if you get in an IS vs our G35 you can feel the difference without even moving. Softer leather softer plastics slight foam padding near on the arm rests dash material is higher quality ect.

BUT As far as reliability goes they are lying to you.

1) The IS has the same brake problems we have. The brakes are gone in like 10-30k miles.

2) The 2006 + models have problems with the Mark Levinson stereo going out and or speakers blowing up. That was like a 2k option for these cars.

3) Most of the 2006+ Lexus car have horrible problems with cracking/creaking and popping dash boards. Some people have gone back 4+ times to the dealers looking for a fix. Some get things fixed others just turn the radio up. Many people have sold their cars due to this problem.

4) Lets not even talk about the 3.5 liter recall for the engine valve springs that just occurred this year. all Lexus xx350 engines were recalled and had major engine work done on them due to a Lexus recall. The result is kind of nice. Better throttle response and like 1-2 mpg, but they need your car for 2-3 days. So how is that better than our VQs?

5) I have heard people having problems with their HID bulbs going out after like 3 years and 30k miles. My bulbs on my GS400 lasted 8 years before I had to change them. So this trend is kind of annoying.

So with all these problems and many of them are VERY real, some of the Lexus owners may feel a bit insecure about their Tier 1 vehicle acting like a VW golf. That is why they dump on the G35. Plus the G35 is a very viable and very potent car. It does not have all the things Lexus has but as someone else pointed out it does things more like BMW.

The unreliablity and headaches of the IS350/GS350 is what led me to buy my G. I did research for over 2 years on these cars before I sold my GS400. They are not horrible problems, but on the other hand, I could not see a trend on the 07+ G forums for items like these. Infact many people who have bought the new GS are very upset with the direction Lexus is going. BC the cars dont keep up performance wise with BMW/Merc and they have lost their reliability and quality. Many people have moved to other cars because of it.

In fact one guy on the Lexus forums Has a new M3 and he has said that it has been more reliable than his 07 GS350. And he is a SUPER Lexus Fanboy.

I cant vouch for the older G35s but I think the new ones are right there with Lexus reliability. I know I have been happy with mine. I have asked for interior things to be done to my car, shifter boot/**** to be replaced and the Instrument Cover to be changed out.

I will say this, the Lexus customer service tends to be a bit better and more polished than what I have seen from Infiniti. But you pay for that. 6+ more for purchase price and dealer fees tend to be more.

I paid $900 bucks for a pad change when I first got my GS400.
I got a $800 dealer quote to replace my HID bulbs when they went out.

A quick check on the Lexus forms shows the following.

Here is someone who had an engine blow up
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-s...wn-engine.html

Here is someone who has bad bearings on their 250
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-s...-bearings.html

Headlight problem
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-s...-out-grrr.html

Bottom Line they are cars and they are not perfect. So tell them to get over, it their cars has as many if not more problems than ours do.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:32 AM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by CerveloR3-SL
No one is really answering the OP question.

As a former Lexus owner I have been on the Lexus forums for over 7 years. The reason why they say the G35 has lots of problems is that most Lexus owners believe that there car is located on the following hierarchy.

Top Tier: Ferrari Porsche Aston Lambos ect
Tier 1:Lexus Mercedes BMW and Audi to a lesser extent.
Tier 2: Acura Infiniti Sabb Volvo ect...
Tier 3 Subarus Fords Chevy ect...

So to begin with they believe they are better than everyone else besides BMW and Merc. They have a point. My 98 GS400 had better materials and a better stock non upgraded stereo than my 08xS G35 that has the Bose SOW. Lexus uses quality materials and if you get in an IS vs our G35 you can feel the difference without even moving. Softer leather softer plastics slight foam padding near on the arm rests dash material is higher quality ect.

BUT As far as reliability goes they are lying to you.

1) The IS has the same brake problems we have. The brakes are gone in like 10-30k miles.

2) The 2006 + models have problems with the Mark Levinson stereo going out and or speakers blowing up. That was like a 2k option for these cars.

3) Most of the 2006+ Lexus car have horrible problems with cracking/creaking and popping dash boards. Some people have gone back 4+ times to the dealers looking for a fix. Some get things fixed others just turn the radio up. Many people have sold their cars due to this problem.

4) Lets not even talk about the 3.5 liter recall for the engine valve springs that just occurred this year. all Lexus xx350 engines were recalled and had major engine work done on them due to a Lexus recall. The result is kind of nice. Better throttle response and like 1-2 mpg, but they need your car for 2-3 days. So how is that better than our VQs?

5) I have heard people having problems with their HID bulbs going out after like 3 years and 30k miles. My bulbs on my GS400 lasted 8 years before I had to change them. So this trend is kind of annoying.

So with all these problems and many of them are VERY real, some of the Lexus owners may feel a bit insecure about their Tier 1 vehicle acting like a VW golf. That is why they dump on the G35. Plus the G35 is a very viable and very potent car. It does not have all the things Lexus has but as someone else pointed out it does things more like BMW.

The unreliablity and headaches of the IS350/GS350 is what led me to buy my G. I did research for over 2 years on these cars before I sold my GS400. They are not horrible problems, but on the other hand, I could not see a trend on the 07+ G forums for items like these. Infact many people who have bought the new GS are very upset with the direction Lexus is going. BC the cars dont keep up performance wise with BMW/Merc and they have lost their reliability and quality. Many people have moved to other cars because of it.

In fact one guy on the Lexus forums Has a new M3 and he has said that it has been more reliable than his 07 GS350. And he is a SUPER Lexus Fanboy.

I cant vouch for the older G35s but I think the new ones are right there with Lexus reliability. I know I have been happy with mine. I have asked for interior things to be done to my car, shifter boot/**** to be replaced and the Instrument Cover to be changed out.

I will say this, the Lexus customer service tends to be a bit better and more polished than what I have seen from Infiniti. But you pay for that. 6+ more for purchase price and dealer fees tend to be more.

I paid $900 bucks for a pad change when I first got my GS400.
I got a $800 dealer quote to replace my HID bulbs when they went out.

A quick check on the Lexus forms shows the following.

Here is someone who had an engine blow up
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-s...wn-engine.html

Here is someone who has bad bearings on their 250
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-s...-bearings.html

Headlight problem
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-s...-out-grrr.html

Bottom Line they are cars and they are not perfect. So tell them to get over, it their cars has as many if not more problems than ours do.
The dealer ripped you off. $800 bucks to just change headlights? It only costs $60 for a pair of Philips 4300k 85122 bulbs (OEM on BMW, Audi, and MB and IMO, better than Osram). You can change the headlights yourself. Wow, dealers really rip people off. The brake pad change should only costs around $400-500 at the dealer. However, you can do it yourself and buy the OEM brake pad parts (only $80 per axle.)

Lexus USED to make quality materials. I have a 2003 Lexus LS430 and it has a really nice dash, fit and finish. The 2007 Lexus ES 350 has a crappier dash feel and look, and the glovebox area looks too plan (no wood trim.) They fixed that with 2010+ Lexus ES.

The new LS460 also has worse materials used than the LS430. The material on the dash feels so fake and plasticky, and not leather-like which is on my LS430.

BTW I feel like the Infinti service team is much better than the Lexus. Infiniti service team gave me free additional things that the Lexus wouldn't (EZ-pass holder, Free Keychain, etc.) Service-wise, they do about the same. Both gave excellent loaner cars. The only thing Lexus provides that the Infiniti dealer doesn't is free sandwiches, not worth the Lexus premium IMO.

Lexus has also made oil changes more difficult than other cars. They don't use the spin-on filters and require more oil (6.4qt on ES 350 compared to 5 qt on my G35x.) The cartridge filters also cost more ($12.99 for the PureOne cartridge filter vs. $5 for the the PureOne spin-on filter.) Some quick change oil places had to charge more since the Lexus uses more oil and used a more expensive filter. The $20 oil changes now quickly add to $35+. I now do my own oil changes, so I know I'm using the best quality oil and filter.

I agree with you about the Lexus IS350 owners feeling insecure. The G totally rocks and a lot more fun to drive.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 11-18-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
^^^ The dude is right man dealer is a rip off... I called the dealer for a headlight bulb they told me around $550 after taxes for a set of bulbs ( this is for my 07 audi a6 quattro ) ... The tpms sensor is $161 for one ... To flush the transmission oil its close to $600 ... It's ridiculous ...

I bought the D2S bulbs off ebay for $25 shipped to my house ... And tpms sensor got a used one for $40 ...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why are the Lexus IS350 forums saying the G35 has lots of problems?