G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Why are the Lexus IS350 forums saying the G35 has lots of problems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
The dealer ripped you off. $800 bucks to just change headlights? It only costs $60 for a pair of Philips 4300k 85122 bulbs (OEM on BMW, Audi, and MB and IMO, better than Osram). You can change the headlights yourself. Wow, dealers really rip people off. The brake pad change should only costs around $400-500 at the dealer. However, you can do it yourself and buy the OEM brake pad parts (only $80 per axle.)

Lexus USED to make quality materials. I have a 2003 Lexus LS430 and it has a really nice dash, fit and finish. The 2007 Lexus ES 350 has a crappier dash feel and look, and the glovebox area looks too plan (no wood trim.) They fixed that with 2010+ Lexus ES.

The new LS460 also has worse materials used than the LS430. The material on the dash feels so fake and plasticky, and not leather-like which is on my LS430.

BTW I feel like the Infinti service team is much better than the Lexus. Infiniti service team gave me free additional things that the Lexus wouldn't (EZ-pass holder, Free Keychain, etc.) Service-wise, they do about the same. Both gave excellent loaner cars. The only thing Lexus provides that the Infiniti dealer doesn't is free sandwiches, not worth the Lexus premium IMO.

Lexus has also made oil changes more difficult than other cars. They don't use the spin-on filters and require more oil (6.4qt on ES 350 compared to 5 qt on my G35x.) The cartridge filters also cost more ($12.99 for the PureOne cartridge filter vs. $5 for the the PureOne spin-on filter.) Some quick change oil places had to charge more since the Lexus uses more oil and used a more expensive filter. The $20 oil changes now quickly add to $35+. I now do my own oil changes, so I know I'm using the best quality oil and filter.

I agree with you about the Lexus IS350 owners feeling insecure. The G totally rocks and a lot more fun to drive.

Oh i never paid them for the HID's I was just making a point as to how crazy and expensive they are. I got them for $50 each on E-bay and had someone put them in for $80. Lexus wanted almost $400 for each bulb.

I stopped going to the dealer after that first visit. I had something in my head 8 years ago that they would do a perfect job. And they did not. I have been doing my maintenace ever since.

Infact I just did all 4 pads and rotors myself on my GF's 2005 G35 and we got away with only like $300 for the parts. It is insulting when you learn how easy it is to do some of this stuff. U just need the right tools.

Yep Infiniti is pretty close to Lexus in their service, but its just the little things like the sandwiches the type of chairs they have, how nice the dealership is ect. The crap you ar paying for somewhere. Lexus has had more time to be polished. I think Infiniti will get there. Hell my dealership is charging as much for service items as the Lexus dealer. So they better up the luxury antie.

Yes I totally agree the 98 to 2005 Lexus cars were the best. They were nearly perfect and it has gone backwards severly since then. Plus the cars are now so BORING and NUMB to drive. I was going to buy a GS350awd and my GF was like your only 30 you can get a Old mans car when your an old man. Have some fun! lol

I am happy with my G35. It is funny to see how the Lexus guys view Infiniti they seem to poo poo the brand.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:41 PM
N80
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When I was younger and had less money I needed a 4 door sedan. Looked at Camry and Maxima. Camry was well known for quality and the Maxima was too but to a lesser extent. Camry was waaaay more expensive and Toyota salesmen were jerks everywhere I went. But the main reason I got the Maxima was that the Camry was boring. It screamed boring. Never had a single problem with the Maxima. It got totalled with close to 170k miles on it. T-bone a Buick which rolled onto its lid. My wife was driving, daughter in back seat. Both uninjured. The point: Maxima was safe, reliable and more affordable and was far more sporty in appearance and performance.

Step up a few years and I'm looking at Infinits and Lexi. Same exact story. The Lexus is just boring, almost like its proud of how boring it looks and feels. The G looks worlds better and costs less. I think the Lexi have high quality interiors and in general I think the interior of the G's is lacking. But, to me, the interior of the Lexus is garrish and tacky. The interior of my 07 G35x is beautiful. Its got the wood trim which I normally don't like but in this model it is understated, satin finish (rather than high gloss). Trim on 06 coupe is ugly and cheap. Exterior makes up for it.

All this is to say Toyota/Lexus:Boring. Nissan/Infiniti:Great looks and great performance.

BMW: wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole. Got many friends with them. They live at the dealership and hemorrhage money. No thanks.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by N80
When I was younger and had less money I needed a 4 door sedan. Looked at Camry and Maxima. Camry was well known for quality and the Maxima was too but to a lesser extent. Camry was waaaay more expensive and Toyota salesmen were jerks everywhere I went. But the main reason I got the Maxima was that the Camry was boring. It screamed boring. Never had a single problem with the Maxima. It got totalled with close to 170k miles on it. T-bone a Buick which rolled onto its lid. My wife was driving, daughter in back seat. Both uninjured. The point: Maxima was safe, reliable and more affordable and was far more sporty in appearance and performance.

Step up a few years and I'm looking at Infinits and Lexi. Same exact story. The Lexus is just boring, almost like its proud of how boring it looks and feels. The G looks worlds better and costs less. I think the Lexi have high quality interiors and in general I think the interior of the G's is lacking. But, to me, the interior of the Lexus is garrish and tacky. The interior of my 07 G35x is beautiful. Its got the wood trim which I normally don't like but in this model it is understated, satin finish (rather than high gloss). Trim on 06 coupe is ugly and cheap. Exterior makes up for it.

All this is to say Toyota/Lexus:Boring. Nissan/Infiniti:Great looks and great performance.

BMW: wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole. Got many friends with them. They live at the dealership and hemorrhage money. No thanks.
Toyota/Lexus isn't to bad in the performance dept.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:06 PM
I'd rate my car a 9/10

Originally Posted by Austin713
they are just trying to find a reason to make themselves feel better when Gs pull on them when they try to race
+1

Also agree with the G having a more aggresive look than the IS.

My friends and I were both previous lexus owners and got our G's at the same time almost (me sedan, him coupe), he actually still has his IS350 and his gf drives it and I gave my mother my ES350 when Igot my G. Bottom line, we love our G's and are completely hooked.

Don't get me wrong the IS is a nice car... but to sum up pretty much what everyone else says on looks, performance, options, blah blah blah

...meh.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:06 PM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by jane
No, they aren't; but they don't also shine in it either. Their last supercar was the Supra, but now the Lexus LF-A, which costs 400k. However, the Nissan GT-R almost outtakes it in less than 1/4 the price in the quarter mile run.

In fact, the Nissan GT-R beats it in 0-60 because of its AWD.

Lexus/Toyota are known to make cars that just drive smoothly, and put very little emphasis on sport. They have terrible handling (compared to the other car manufacturers in the same price range.) In fact, I'd rather drive an Acura than a Lexus. The Acura feels sportier than a Lexus.

It really depends on what you like...luxury or sport? BMW is all almost pure sport (not to mention their crappy interior designs), while Infiniti is in between. Lexus is pretty much on the other end.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:09 PM
N80
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jane

That's true. I guess what I was trying to say is that they perform well but aren't very inspiring. The Infinitis perform as well and yet they look and feel better to me. (I do not value a car that tries too hard to isolate me from the road and the engine too much.)

Old 11-18-2010, 04:29 PM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by atoor1990
^^^ The dude is right man dealer is a rip off... I called the dealer for a headlight bulb they told me around $550 after taxes for a set of bulbs ( this is for my 07 audi a6 quattro ) ... The tpms sensor is $161 for one ... To flush the transmission oil its close to $600 ... It's ridiculous ...

I bought the D2S bulbs off ebay for $25 shipped to my house ... And tpms sensor got a used one for $40 ...
Get the tpms sensor from Costco. I think it only costs around 60-70 bucks each...maybe even cheaper, depending on which car you own. I read on someone else's post that it only costs $62 for our G's.

My friend has the ES 350 and Costco broke his TPMS sensor while changing tires and charged him around $70 to fix it.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by RhiNoKiLL
My cousin had a almost pretty fully loaded IS350 couple years ago. To be honest it was pretty nice, I only driven it once or twice but never got to really get used to it or push it hard. But from fit and finish... i think lexus beats the g its pretty noticeable. The lexus is quieter, it shuts out like every noise outside ( i wish my car was like that )

The gauges are pretty cool too lots of tech. in that car. Either the same or possibly more tech in that car for example....auto locking doors (duh infiniti) automatic side view mirrors tilt when in reverse, cooled seats....spot map lights.... ML sound system avaiable , and about the gauges its hard to explain but its pretty cool go test drive one ull see what i mean

The car pulls pretty hard too, if the G does beat it i dont think by much.

Butttt. in terms of looks G looks 10x better much more aggressive and u know its a G, when u drive up to a lexus is350 it takes a while to know for sure its a lexus. Also I hated the front end of the lexus also...engine sound and Exhaust note is much better as well.

Im pretty happy with the G (espeically when i get it back) but if i had the "lexus quiet" and all it's tech. and options in the G, I would then give my G a 10 for sure, but for now 8.9 =)

HOLD ON, TIME OUT! Why did u bring up this bullcrap thread that has been dead for a year????!?

that said...

is350's preformance, FTW!!!

is350's interior, FTW!!!

is350 exterior... uh... ftl....

is350 not coming in manual.... thats when i stopped considering it...

Old 11-18-2010, 08:56 PM
As a new owner (4 weeks) of a pre-owned 2007 G35x I'd score my satisfaction at about 8.5. That's actually pretty high for those of you who were expecting something higher. This Infiniti experience will likely convert me away from the German brands I've been driving for the last ten years if it fulfills my expectations for it (performance AND reliability). You see, I put $8,000 into my 2001 A6 2.7t for 'routine' maintenance and incidental repairs over a 4-year period where I added 50k miles to the car's original 59k, and that whole continent's collection of brands have worn me and my wallet out.
I LOVE: the G's power (totally caught me by surprise), the sounds it makes at higher revs, the technology/options (it's loaded) and the handling/ride overall are pretty decent. It's no BMW 5-series in that department but if it holds up better (i.e., less $$$ for repairs/maintenance) than my recent Audi I'll be a permanent convert. The exterior styling also keeps me looking over my shoulder at her and the interior is wonderful (I have the Rosewood trim) though not up to my Audi's standards.
I DISLIKE: the relatively low mpg (14-22), the lack of fold-down rear seats and the lawyer-restricted NAV (and other) system functions. Oh, and the trunk CD changer blocks part of the opening. I just know that one day that'll tick me off when I find that I can't squeeze in a suitcase (or something) that I know would otherwise fit in there.

Still, and especially when you consider the VALUE this car offers for the money, I don't think anything else out there can match it. Infiniti have proven to me that the Japanese CAN make a car with personality and (dare I say) 'soul' that I truly ENJOY driving. Even though I bought the bumper-to-bumper 'wrap' from my dealer that covers it to 100k miles, I'll be watching the frequency and intensity of repairs. If the Infiniti can stay on the way-low side of the Audi's 'benchmark', I'll never look back to the German cars again.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
I'm on my 2nd G and if it wasn't for the horrendously fragile paint I'd give'em a 9.5. The thin seat leather is another gripe but not a biggie.

The IS350 guys saying Gs aren't reliable is just their way of justifying paying a 5-6k premium for basically a very similar car (w/ no back seat room). I will give the Lex the nod when it comes to interiors though, only Audi does interiors better in the sub 60k range.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:54 PM
Funny how this comes up after they went thru few recalls and issue with the valve spring and carbon build up.

Both cars are nice. Both have their pros and cons. IS is smaller more of a size of 335 and steering is to soft no good feedback other that I like it.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
In all reality, what car is built perfect that your not going to have any problems? Every car has it's faults. Some more then others. Cough cough (lexus) cough.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:05 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Let me just say that I have a 1993 GS300 sedan and it's a tank. No major issues. Over 150k miles and the engine still pulls strong. Has less rattles than my G. It just feels more solid. I don't know how to explain it, but it feels like the car is just bolted together well.

The only issues we had with it was the automatic antenna stopped working and one of the rear windows switches went bad.

Engine is 18 years old and doesn't burn oil unlike the VQ...

Old 11-22-2010, 12:03 AM
Lexus isn't the same as it was a decade ago. I am not hating them but look at the brand as it is going downhill.

Dropped on residual value also. Infiniti beat all.

https://www.alg.com/ResidualValueAwards

Old 11-22-2010, 01:04 AM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
I have to agree w/ tg1234 on this one. Cars were built a lot better 10 yrs ago. Just imagine if there was no imports and it was all the classics that was still around. Pure mussels car built like tanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why are the Lexus IS350 forums saying the G35 has lots of problems?