G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

About to buy a 07-08 G35s Sedan... Questions!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 12:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
well, I think i've decided that I want the 6MT G35s w/ Nav, and probably won't be happy without it. Just my personality, I guess. If it were going to be my Daily driver, I'd probably lean towards the Auto.

I have found a few leads on what I want for the price I want, so I think I'm going to jump on one this week or next.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by BrianV
Mine is 6MT manual, so don't get back to me if you decide you want auto, haha.

The NAV/Musicbox on the G35 is spectacular though, I'd definitely look to get it. Best nav I've ever used.

Cheers,
Brian
haha! I totally thought yours was Auto lol. Hmmmm....

Old 06-18-2009, 12:29 AM
RCK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go for it, Dookie! Are you getting the 4WAS? It usually comes with the NAV. Welcome to the 6MT club.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by joesmithf1
i have an auto and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that! Easy to drive but at the same time, you get just as much power as a manual. The other day i smoked a mustang with ease.

Buy a manul if you are getting a coupe, but get auto if you go with sedan. I consider a saden more like a compact luxury car, so it is classier to have it as auto. Plus, i was told it cost about $600 to replace a clutch! One more thing, don't forget you can 'kinda' do manul shifting with an auto. Finally, if you get a sport package, it comes with padel shifters!!!
First, spell checker?

Second, WTF does it matter if you have a sedan or coupe and how is one more or less classy? Also, it's still proven that a 6MT will technically put more power to the ground than an auto. How come the e39 BMW M5, arguably the best sports sedan ever made was only available in manual????

Third, a replacement clutch may be $600, but I've never had to replace a clutch in my life (if you know how to drive, they really never need replacing). I did replace a clutch once out of choice because I added 200HP to a car and it was outside the limits of the factory clutch, but I've never had to replace a factory clutch due to wear and tear. More importantly, a replacement auto (something I HAVE had to replace a couple times) costs 4x a clutch replacement. Thus, it's no doubt that owning a manual is actually less expensive from a maintenance standpoint (also fluid changes are cheaper, etc.).

There are many reasons to own an auto and many to own a manual. To me, a manual is an enthusiast thing and just an appreciation for the control. Auto's have come a long way to close the performance gaps and in some cases have surpassed, but to purists it just doesn't matter. Quartz watches are considerably more accurate and better performing than mechanicals, but mechanicals are WAY cooler.

I find that most people who try to pitch auto as better than manual are just people who: A) Can't drive manual. B) Can't drive manual well. C) Just aren't real driving purists/enthusiasts. They'd rather be seen in their car than drive it.

I commuted 35 miles in bumper to bumper traffic (each way) for years in an MT and found it no problem. In fact, when I'd drive my g/f's car which was auto, I found it more inconvenient since your foot seemed like it was always firmly on the brake. With stick, coasting and stop and go is easier and smoother for me.

However, my manual driving is REALLY good, better than just about everyone else I know, and I can do it 100% subconsciously without anyone in the car even feeling a start/shift/etc.

Anyways, next time you feel you want to "chime-in", make sure your affairs are in order son; the points you all raise are so subjective and erroneous.

-Brian

Old 06-18-2009, 07:18 PM
RCK
Thanks Brian for your excellent defense of manual transmissions. I wholly agree that those who favor the auto either can't drive smoothly with a stick or really aren't driving enthusiasts.

I drive my 6MT through New York City where I live and do so without any thought.
Besides the stick makes the driver pay more attention, even subconsciously as you state.

Along with coasting in stop and go traffic, down shifting with a stick and also saves brake wear.

Never replaced a clutch in your life? Wow. Very impressive. I usually get 120-130K out of the clutch. I thought that was pretty darn good.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by RCK
Go for it, Dookie! Are you getting the 4WAS? It usually comes with the NAV. Welcome to the 6MT club.

I have no idea! The dealer sorta acted like he didn't think they ever came with it, sooo.... Not really a big issue for me. If it's there... SWEET!

I put the deposit down to hold it while I make travel plans. Have to fly to Boston, then drive 16 hrs back lol. guess I'm desperate!

How does $25k OTD sound for about 30k, Nav, tech package, G35s, 6mt near perfect paint/interior?

Old 06-19-2009, 12:05 AM
OTD meaning with taxes and stuff?

That's pretty good.. I paid about that before taxes, without Nav and a few chips and scratches. But then, I live in Cali.

Brian, dude.. I don't recall you being that ornery on maxima.org, haha Anyway, I think you guys paint a pretty black and white picture between MT and AT. I don't think it's quite like that. It really depends what you're doing with the car and how often. I appreciate your patience for 35mi bumper to bumper for years in a MT with no issues. Some of us don't have that much patience. Especially for me with my 42mi commute through the hills of San Francisco.

- Jon
(Still waiting for DSG in a "good car")

Old 06-19-2009, 01:50 AM
RCK
I should have stated that if you want 4WAS you also must get the NAV, unless special ordered. But not all 6MT w/NAV have 4WAS.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:38 AM
Sorry, I left off the taxes. Just meant that that was my final price, since I have to pay the tax in Indiana, not Boston.

Unfortunately, IN sucks and raised the tax rate to 7%. BLEH.

I did get the Nav, but have no way of knowing if it's 4WAS or not since the dudes at the dealer don't know.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is to Brian.

First, obviously I don’t need a spell checker b/c obviously you understood what I posted for you to response with 7 paragraphs of comments!

Second, what I meant was a coupe gives you a sportier look, where as a sedan is more professional/classy, or whatever you call it. Same reason insurance cost a lot more when you purchase a coupe vs sedan.

Third, “if you know how to drive. they really never need replacing’? Are you fking kidding me?! Is your clutch sprinkled with some kind of magic dust or something? An average OEM clutch will last between 130K-160K miles. I don’t care how well you drive. Wear and tear is common physic; there is no going around it.
You had to replace your auto a couple of times maybe b/c you had a lemon, or it was a Ford? How often does Japanese have tranny or engine problems? Plus, we are NOT talking about ‘exceptions’; we are talking about doing a ‘normal’ clutch replacement(which is something that you MUST do after wear and tear).

Fourth, I have been driving manual for the past 20 years, and I am SURE that whatever ‘special’ driving method there is out there, I have figured it out, so I am not sure who are you to judge that ‘auto ‘ pitcher are less better manual driver.
Fifth, your comment of “my manual driving is REALLY good, better than…” is pure arrogant.

Finally, what I ‘chime-in’ is my personal opinion. If you don’t like it, don’t read it. Plus, as if all your comments are not subjective and erroneous? Btw, who is your ‘son’? How old are you? You don’t know me, so who are you to judge?
I NEVER said there is anything wrong with manual; what i commented was why there is nothing wrong with purchasing an auto. You can defense manual all you want. But don’t disrespect!!!

Peace out!

Joe

Old 06-19-2009, 04:44 PM
i have an auto and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that! Easy to drive but at the same time, you get just as much power as a manual. The other day i smoked a mustang with ease.

Buy a manul if you are getting a coupe, but get auto if you go with sedan. I consider a saden more like a compact luxury car, so it is classier to have it as auto. Plus, i was told it cost about $600 to replace a clutch! One more thing, don't forget you can 'kinda' do manul shifting with an auto. Finally, if you get a sport package, it comes with padel shifters!!!
You win the award for most ridiculous thing I've read all day. Congrats.

Oh and congrats on beating a V6 Mustang, you're a true racer dude.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by RCK
Thanks Brian for your excellent defense of manual transmissions. I wholly agree that those who favor the auto either can't drive smoothly with a stick or really aren't driving enthusiasts.

I drive my 6MT through New York City where I live and do so without any thought.
Besides the stick makes the driver pay more attention, even subconsciously as you state.

Along with coasting in stop and go traffic, down shifting with a stick and also saves brake wear.

Never replaced a clutch in your life? Wow. Very impressive. I usually get 120-130K out of the clutch. I thought that was pretty darn good.
Generally speaking, I don't keep my cars that long.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:00 AM
This is to Brian.

First, obviously I don’t need a spell checker b/c obviously you understood what I posted for you to response with 7 paragraphs of comments!

Second, what I meant was a coupe gives you a sportier look, where as a sedan is more professional/classy, or whatever you call it. Same reason insurance cost a lot more when you purchase a coupe vs sedan.

Third, “if you know how to drive. they really never need replacing’? Are you fking kidding me?! Is your clutch sprinkled with some kind of magic dust or something? An average OEM clutch will last between 130K-160K miles. I don’t care how well you drive. Wear and tear is common physic; there is no going around it.
You had to replace your auto a couple of times maybe b/c you had a lemon, or it was a Ford? How often does Japanese have tranny or engine problems? Plus, we are NOT talking about ‘exceptions’; we are talking about doing a ‘normal’ clutch replacement(which is something that you MUST do after wear and tear).

Fourth, I have been driving manual for the past 20 years, and I am SURE that whatever ‘special’ driving method there is out there, I have figured it out, so I am not sure who are you to judge that ‘auto ‘ pitcher are less better manual driver.
Fifth, your comment of “my manual driving is REALLY good, better than…” is pure arrogant.

Finally, what I ‘chime-in’ is my personal opinion. If you don’t like it, don’t read it. Plus, as if all your comments are not subjective and erroneous? Btw, who is your ‘son’? How old are you? You don’t know me, so who are you to judge?
I NEVER said there is anything wrong with manual; what i commented was why there is nothing wrong with purchasing an auto. You can defense manual all you want. But don’t disrespect!!!

Peace out!

Joe
I'd argue that the G35/G37 sedan looks sportier than the coupe. The coupe looks like a bloated cruiser. I'd say the first generation G35 was the exact opposite (coupe looked sportier). Again, this whole part of the argument is way too subjective for it to be worth even an ounce in the bigger picture.

Ok, well within reason, everything needs replacing. My point was to more counter your argument about the maintenance expense. As let's just say the average life of a clutch is 150K miles (for arguments sake), one could also say that the average life of a full auto-tranny is similar. Obviously the cost of replacing an auto is significantly greater than that of a clutch. The point I was making is, if auto/manual is being chosen because of some perception of lower maintenance cost, than 1) that's a retarded way to come to your decision. 2) It's probably not accurate.

As far as my cars that have auto trannies replaced:
1) 95 Toyota Camry - 130K miles
2) 02 Acura MDX - 92K miles

I have numerous friends who have had tranny replacements before 120k miles, and an incredible amount before 200k miles. Meanwhile my friend has an e36 M3 with 189k on his original clutch. Call it like you want.

The main reason for the post was to combat your rhetoric and subjective crazy-talk. My main point was it's just a purist thing. Either you want stick or you don't, and you can make many valid points for not wanting it, but reliability, traffic, etc. in my opinion are excuses. Comments like being able to beat a Mustang with an auto are so irrelevant to the topic that I felt it necessary to respond. The original posted already stated a concern for wanting manual but feeling like he might try an auto because finding manuals are difficult. I think, if he gets an auto, he'll regret it on a regular basis.

Cheers,
Brian

PS - It's just the Internet!!

Old 06-22-2009, 01:07 PM
i think it's so funny how heated these discussions get on these boards, when in reality, we probably have more in common with each other and our interests than most of the ppl we encounter in everyday life at work, school, etc. if you two cats met at a g35 meet, you'd probably hit it off and go grab beer and wings. or maybe you'd punch each other in the face over grammar and spelling, who knows...

anyway, OP, why out of curiosity are you not going to DD the G? i only ask because this is a roomier more comfortable car than the rsx, every bit as performance savvy (unless you are modded to the teeth or something), and certainly isn't an exotic that needs to be garage-queened. i would venture to guess almost all the g's on here are dd's. could you perhaps sell the rsx and either: 1) get an even nicer g than you were planning to, or 2) mod the pants off a used g?

regardless, good luck with your purchase...

Old 06-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by infinitipearl
i think it's so funny how heated these discussions get on these boards, when in reality, we probably have more in common with each other and our interests than most of the ppl we encounter in everyday life at work, school, etc. if you two cats met at a g35 meet, you'd probably hit it off and go grab beer and wings. or maybe you'd punch each other in the face over grammar and spelling, who knows...

anyway, OP, why out of curiosity are you not going to DD the G? i only ask because this is a roomier more comfortable car than the rsx, every bit as performance savvy (unless you are modded to the teeth or something), and certainly isn't an exotic that needs to be garage-queened. i would venture to guess almost all the g's on here are dd's. could you perhaps sell the rsx and either: 1) get an even nicer g than you were planning to, or 2) mod the pants off a used g?

regardless, good luck with your purchase...

Well, during the summer months, I'll probably drive the **** outta it. But, I work approx 30 miles away from my house. It's a 2 lane road in the middle of nowhere that a TON of dump trucks drive. My RSX is CHIPPED TO HELL and back and I'd rather not have another rock chipped car. The RSX is 100% owned by me, so I don't care what happens to it (already hit a deer coming back from work). Also, I average about 32 mpg. I've peaked at 41 (coming back from Alabama ). So it's a money saver.

Actually, I'm looking for a decent, cheap, good mpg getting suv/truck/crossover to replace the RSX with. Something that my 65 pound dog can ride comfortably in lol... Oh yeah, that's the other reason: don't want the dog in the G I need a place with NO FUR.

I like my RSX and it runs perfect with 145k on the ODO. It's clean, just has a few bumps n bruises on the outside. Right now, it's the only ride I have that has a ton of cargo space (fold down back seats... Something the G unfortunately doesnt have )

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: About to buy a 07-08 G35s Sedan... Questions!