G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

About to buy a 07-08 G35s Sedan... Questions!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 03:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
About to buy a 07-08 G35s Sedan... Questions!

Hi all. I've decided to buy a G35s for my next car. I want to get a few facts straight before I run out and buy one. Searching for the car I want has been a bit frustrating since many of the used car websites don't have totally accurate searches or have incorrect info. So here are my questions....

1. Will every 2007 2008 G35 Sport model have an S by the G35 badge? I realize some people may remove this, but I've been looking at a lot of ads stating that the car is the G35 "Sport" trim, but there's no indication that the car is the G35s or not.

2. Is the only way to get the 9gb Hard drive by getting the Nav system?

3. If I were to get an 07/08 G35s WITHOUT the nav system, is there a recommended way to get the nav system? In other words, do I just have to buy the nav system and replace mine with it, or is there a hardware/firmware hack? etc...

4. Last one, and this is more of an opinion question, but I would prefer a Manual Versus Auto. They're stupidly hard to find though. Any thoughts to sway me one way or the other?

This isn't going to be my daily driver. I have an RSX Type S for that. I'm really having a hell of a time finding what I want. I want a G35s, 6MT, Nav system, Hard Drive, Sunroof, in Black, White, Red, Blue. (i'm picky, damnit!) I think my eyes are bleeding from searching so much. About the only thing I'm willing to give on, is the Trans, unless I can relatively easily install the nav system/hard drive (without a ridiculous cost).

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-15-2009, 04:58 PM
RCK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a lifelong manual driver with an '07 G35S6MT, I'd stick with the stick. Takes some getting used to as you may have surmised on this site. But not much and well worth it. I hear the slave cylinder and ECU issues were resolved on the '08. As mine is an '07 I can't comment on the difference between the AT and the 6MT in an '08. But I will say that the control and feel of the stick on my G gives the maximum experience and probably better mileage too, depending on your driving style.

Yes, the '08 has the red S. "Sport Trim" refers to the G35XS which, I think, does not have the larger brakes of the RWD S or the staggered tire set up.

Can't comment on the NAV, as I am NAVless.

I was picky, too, and got almost what I wanted, but no 4WAS; boo-hoo. Still irks me.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:01 PM
On Nav:
1. You must have nav to get HDD for music
2. Swapping out NAV is not really feasible if you ask me.
3. Definitely get manual, autos are for the birds (and chicks)

4. You can take over my lease and have a manual, sport with nav!!! 30k miles on it, end of lease sept 2010, residual at that time is $20k or so. Has a few dime sized dents on hood and trunklid (hail). Gonna have the paintless dent dude work those out in the coming weeks. Otherwise never wrecked, oil changed every 3k miles, newish tires, etc.

Silver on grey, very nice

Old 06-15-2009, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by dookie
1. Will every 2007 2008 G35 Sport model have an S by the G35 badge? I realize some people may remove this, but I've been looking at a lot of ads stating that the car is the G35 "Sport" trim, but there's no indication that the car is the G35s or not.

2. Is the only way to get the 9gb Hard drive by getting the Nav system?

3. If I were to get an 07/08 G35s WITHOUT the nav system, is there a recommended way to get the nav system? In other words, do I just have to buy the nav system and replace mine with it, or is there a hardware/firmware hack? etc...

4. Last one, and this is more of an opinion question, but I would prefer a Manual Versus Auto. They're stupidly hard to find though. Any thoughts to sway me one way or the other?
1. Yes, they all have the red S unless removed by the previous owner. You can also tell if it's a sport by the front bumper (Sports also come with larger front brakes, with the exception of the 2008 AWD Sports, they also have larger rims and tires but are an option for the RWD Journey's).

2. Yes.

3. There's a lot of work involved and it not really worth the money and effort. You'd be better off buying a G with navi already in it or buying the small Garmin type navi's and taking advantage of the auxiliary input in the center console.

4. I have an automatic G and kinda wish I'd gotten the manual instead so I can't help you with this one, lol.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by RCK
As a lifelong manual driver with an '07 G35S6MT, I'd stick with the stick. Takes some getting used to as you may have surmised on this site. But not much and well worth it. I hear the slave cylinder and ECU issues were resolved on the '08. As mine is an '07 I can't comment on the difference between the AT and the 6MT in an '08. But I will say that the control and feel of the stick on my G gives the maximum experience and probably better mileage too, depending on your driving style.

Yes, the '08 has the red S. "Sport Trim" refers to the G35XS which, I think, does not have the larger brakes of the RWD S or the staggered tire set up.

Can't comment on the NAV, as I am NAVless.

I was picky, too, and got almost what I wanted, but no 4WAS; boo-hoo. Still irks me.

thanks to all for the comments.

I'm definitely leaning towards the stick. I'm going to go drive an auto tonight or tomorrow and see how much I dislike it lol. Althought, I don't think the stick helps my mileage much, I'm kinda heavy footed

Old 06-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by BrianV
On Nav:
1. You must have nav to get HDD for music
2. Swapping out NAV is not really feasible if you ask me.
3. Definitely get manual, autos are for the birds (and chicks)

4. You can take over my lease and have a manual, sport with nav!!! 30k miles on it, end of lease sept 2010, residual at that time is $20k or so. Has a few dime sized dents on hood and trunklid (hail). Gonna have the paintless dent dude work those out in the coming weeks. Otherwise never wrecked, oil changed every 3k miles, newish tires, etc.

Silver on grey, very nice

lol, I keep the chick part in mind...

Did a little more research on the nav and agree that the cost and time to get factory nav isn't worth it. Maybe the other route of using the garmin would be nice, but dunno.

Your silver does look nice. I might get back with you on that if I decide to go the auto route..

Originally Posted by fecurtis
1. Yes, they all have the red S unless removed by the previous owner. You can also tell if it's a sport by the front bumper (Sports also come with larger front brakes, with the exception of the 2008 AWD Sports, they also have larger rims and tires but are an option for the RWD Journey's).

2. Yes.

3. There's a lot of work involved and it not really worth the money and effort. You'd be better off buying a G with navi already in it or buying the small Garmin type navi's and taking advantage of the auxiliary input in the center console.

4. I have an automatic G and kinda wish I'd gotten the manual instead so I can't help you with this one, lol.

what's different about the bumper? I did a quick search and really didn't see anything. EDIT: figured out what's different about the bumper.

I'm worried that I'll feel the same way! I've been driving a stick since I was 16 and always hated the autos I've had. Maybe the paddles will satisfy the need.

Last edited by dookie; 06-15-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:31 PM
The auto will be equally painful if not more painful for a lead-foot. The cars drive remarkably different, even the engine and such sounds a bit different from manual to auto. My fiance's brother has an 07 G35S Sport in Auto.

Trending Topics

Old 06-16-2009, 01:31 AM
I opted for the auto because I drive too damn far with too much traffic and too many stop lights every day. At first, I hated this auto box, but as I get to know it better, I'm less negative on it. Certainly, it's not the auto that's in the BMW 3 series (which is great), nor is it a DSG, but it does pretty well when you decide to do some aggressive driving. Ironically, I think it's better at the aggressive stuff than it is with the around town driving, heh.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:02 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I love my manual, but selling my silver G35S 6MT... sad, but for a good cause. Not sure how low I will go without parting out....
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb

Old 06-16-2009, 10:12 AM
Non sport bumper:

Sport bumper:

Old 06-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by dookie
lol, I keep the chick part in mind...

Did a little more research on the nav and agree that the cost and time to get factory nav isn't worth it. Maybe the other route of using the garmin would be nice, but dunno.

Your silver does look nice. I might get back with you on that if I decide to go the auto route..
Mine is 6MT manual, so don't get back to me if you decide you want auto, haha.

The NAV/Musicbox on the G35 is spectacular though, I'd definitely look to get it. Best nav I've ever used.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 06-16-2009, 11:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have an auto and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that! Easy to drive but at the same time, you get just as much power as a manual. The other day i smoked a mustang with ease.

Buy a manul if you are getting a coupe, but get auto if you go with sedan. I consider a saden more like a compact luxury car, so it is classier to have it as auto. Plus, i was told it cost about $600 to replace a clutch! One more thing, don't forget you can 'kinda' do manul shifting with an auto. Finally, if you get a sport package, it comes with padel shifters!!!

Old 06-16-2009, 11:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by joesmithf1
Plus, i was told it cost about $600 to replace a clutch! One more thing, don't forget you can 'kinda' do manul shifting with an auto. Finally, if you get a sport package, it comes with padel shifters!!!
That can't be right. When I had my '03 G35, I was told that replacing the clutch would run over $1k. I imagine replacing the clutch on a G37 would run in that range. $600 for an Infiniti clutch job is CHEAP! I'll pay that anyday.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:16 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
If you get a G35 with the 6MT, you get the sport package. There are no 6MT w/o sport.

You can also add the Garmin "black box" brain unit to a non-oem navi car. There are a few threads about it floating around the forum.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:45 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
lol i just picked up an 07 g35x with nav... didnt even realize it has a hard drive lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: About to buy a 07-08 G35s Sedan... Questions!