G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

HELP - 2008 Cabin Filter Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 09:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP - 2008 Cabin Filter Replacement

Help! I am trying to replace the cabin filter on my 2008 G35. I have seen the YouTube video of the 2006 G35 cabin filter replacement, I have read the crappy directions and I can't get the *%*!&* glove box off.

I have taken off the bottom door strip, taken off the flat bottom of the glove compartment, taken off the kick plate, unscrewed the four upper screws and two lower screws (only screws listed in said crappy directions) and even removed one screw in the behind middle(?).

I still can't get it off without feeling like I am going to break something. It is sticking on the right side as if still connected somewhere. HELP!!!

Old 07-27-2009, 10:28 PM
Do a quick search on this forums, this same thread pops up every other week. For me, I didnt even have to remove the door strip or the kick plate. All i did was remove the side, remove the screws on the top and bottom, unhook the bulb wire and it came out. I did take out an extra screw on the bottom left which was hard as hell to put back but I got it. There is a thread that has a picture of where all the screws are.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:36 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisG35Driver
Help! I am trying to replace the cabin filter on my 2008 G35. I have seen the YouTube video of the 2006 G35 cabin filter replacement, I have read the crappy directions and I can't get the *%*!&* glove box off.

I have taken off the bottom door strip, taken off the flat bottom of the glove compartment, taken off the kick plate, unscrewed the four upper screws and two lower screws (only screws listed in said crappy directions) and even removed one screw in the behind middle(?).

I still can't get it off without feeling like I am going to break something. It is sticking on the right side as if still connected somewhere. HELP!!!
There ya go

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-37-...placement.html

I had done the same, I wanted to yell when I realized I took of basically all the plastic by the door when it wasn't needed.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:38 PM
try tugging on it gently and see what is holding it to the car. From your description, it sounds like you missed the big flat plastic piece on the right side of the glove box. if the glove box faces the passenger, that particular piece faces the door.

The plastic piece is hinged at the back of the plastic piece if i remember correctly. so lift the front of that piece (closest the passenger) towards the door gently and it should pop off.

Hopefully i remember correctly

Old 07-27-2009, 10:38 PM
What "side" did you take off?

Old 07-27-2009, 10:40 PM
Ahhh, the "side" is the part that looks like it is part of the dash.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:43 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Take a look at the link I posted for you. There does not need to be any removal of the kick plates or anything around there. To the best of my memory a6g35 is right, there is a few clips from right under the glove box. Then the whole thing pops down careful not to let it fall as it is held together by the wiring.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:47 PM
I will try tomorrow. I am a bit annoyed that infinitihelp and the directions say nothing about the side piece. Not only that, but infinitihelp talks about pulling out the glove box and disconnecting some damper pin. I swear those directions do not apply to my car because pulling on the glove box does nothing and I cannot get to any damper pin.

http://www.infinitihelp.com/diy/gsed...eplacement.htm

Old 07-28-2009, 08:54 AM
are you stuck on step 2/3? since you havent seen the damper pin... but you haven't removed the screws in step 4? im confused.

The only way to remove the glove box is to really tug on it in the manner the directions say. Once its unhinged, you have to wiggle the box to get to the damper pin.

if you notice in step 3, right above the damper pin, there is a *** that sticks out. well this *** is on both sides of the glove box and fits into a groove. the only way to get the glove box out is to get one *** out first, then the other. basically push one *** towards the front of the car and pull the other side towards the back of the car. this should dislodge the first *** and the 2nd will slide out naturally.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:14 AM
I removed all the screws listed in Step 4, but had skipped step 2/3. You must really have to yank on this thing.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:46 AM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
The glove box is on slotted hinges. The pin part of the hinge is stationary. When the glove box is in the open position, it can be lifted off of the pin it hinges on and slides out. The box will not come all the way off until you also unhook the cable that allows it to drop open slowly. It's attached on the left side and although it feels with the tip of your finger like it's held in with a hex head screw, it's not. The cable just pops off... no tool needed.
Once the box is out, you will see the screws you need to remove and then that black plate comes down (with a little motivation)
I also had to remove the small plate on the end of the passenger side dash. Once that plate is off, the black plate behind the glove box will drop down and then you can see where the filter goes in.
I don't have a lens that allows me to get in that close for shots as I did the job. I was trying to do an 07+ DIY but the pics sucked.
Just get in there and figure it out as you go.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:43 PM
I DID IT. Man, now that I have done it once. I can take that thing off in under 5 minutes, easy. Putting back on will always be a bit of a task, but very doable. Thanks for everyone's help. I have made a list of steps that I may post. I did have to remove the metallic trim piece. There were a couple other quirks.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:15 PM
Glove box damper pin removal

2007 G35 need advice. Not sure how the damper pin is removed on left side of glove box. How is it fastened. Thanks for any advice.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:31 PM
SIETESG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I need to do mine

Old 10-21-2010, 03:42 PM
It pops off if memory serves me correctly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HELP - 2008 Cabin Filter Replacement