G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Is there any difference in feel between X and S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 09:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my coupe with all season tires wouldn't move out of the driveway with just a dust of snow.

it happened to snow really heavy when i was driving the dealerships g35x (while mine was getting a new trans) and it drove great in 2+ inches of snow.

Also remember, you're buying an S for performance then trying to put all season or "winter" tires on it. Might as well knock the performance right off. all seasons suck compared to performance tires.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dont buy the S if you get 2 months of snow.....its useless in a dusting even with all season tires. My car stays in the garage for the entire winter but i have a truck to run through the white stuff

Old 08-29-2009, 08:36 AM
Pricing of tires...

For a 2007 S sedan:
How much are a set of 4 stock performance tires?
Price for the rears?
Price for the fronts?

How much are a set of 4 winter tires? Do you need to get all 4 our just rears?

Old 08-29-2009, 08:56 AM
I have an xS and would not suggest the X by itself. The xS has the sport front facia, the larger, better looking wheels, and the paddle shfiters on the steering column among other things.

Rev matching occurs when the shift lever is pulled towards the driver to put the transmission in sport mode. When you downshift using either the paddle shifters or the "stick" the car will rev match.

The "S" in my opinion is a better choice.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:19 AM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by sk00pie8
For a 2007 S sedan:
How much are a set of 4 stock performance tires?
Price for the rears?
Price for the fronts?

How much are a set of 4 winter tires? Do you need to get all 4 our just rears?
This totally depends on your tire choice, but plan on anywhere between $100-$175 each tire. Front/rear prices don't really differ much.

I put a set of Blizzak WS-50's on 17" wheels on my car for $850.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:01 PM
you will need all 4 if you want to be able to steer in snow too.

also remember, it doesn't have to hvae physical snow on the road. Most performance tires say "not to be used at or below freezing". Even if you only get a few snow showers a year i know for a fact that you get below freezing for a few months. I watch Good Morning America, lol.

So basically you're going to need 2 sets of tires at the least if you're going to drive the S.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by binder
you will need all 4 if you want to be able to steer in snow too.

also remember, it doesn't have to hvae physical snow on the road. Most performance tires say "not to be used at or below freezing". Even if you only get a few snow showers a year i know for a fact that you get below freezing for a few months. I watch Good Morning America, lol.

So basically you're going to need 2 sets of tires at the least if you're going to drive the S.
Good point on needing all 4 winter tires. I meant to answer that portion of his question but forgot to.

And as for needing two sets, that goes for any model he chooses. I have two sets for mine and I'm in an X. Winter driving in winter weather requires winter tires if you want to do so safely.

I just wish every other moron on the roads with me understood that. I drive through like a tank, but I'm surrounded by morons who live in New England but have no idea how to drive in New England weather safely. It's like a bumper car rally out there when it snows.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
Good point on needing all 4 winter tires. I meant to answer that portion of his question but forgot to.

And as for needing two sets, that goes for any model he chooses. I have two sets for mine and I'm in an X. Winter driving in winter weather requires winter tires if you want to do so safely.

I just wish every other moron on the roads with me understood that. I drive through like a tank, but I'm surrounded by morons who live in New England but have no idea how to drive in New England weather safely. It's like a bumper car rally out there when it snows.

true true, i was just going on the assumption that if someone purchased an X they would keep all season tires all year round instead of switching to performance tires in the summer.

I drove my car year round for 2 years but now that i have slicks on it i'll be driving my truck this winter. i do'nt even feel safe switching to my other rims with the morons that drive around here. Even though i'm safe someone else might barrel into me and destroy my car (and of course will ALWAYS be the person that doesn't have insurance or a job)

Old 08-29-2009, 05:35 PM
The x is a really fine car in winter weather particularly with decent tires. If you have significant winter weather and your G35 will be a more or less everyday driver I think the x AWD model is what to get. I have two 2004 G35x models. One I drive and the other my son. Wish they made an x with manual transmission back then.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:24 PM
I have the best of both worlds with my G
It handles awesome in the winter with Blizzaks and drives like it's on rails with Falkens in the summer.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
I have the best of both worlds with my G
It handles awesome in the winter with Blizzaks and drives like it's on rails with Falkens in the summer.
Yep, I put Blizzaks on my son's G35x and it did really well through a winter in Rochester NY. It was the most stable sedan I've ever driver in the snow. That's why the G35x is quite popular here in New England. You almost never see a sedan S model with the manual transmission. You see some coupe's but not all that many. They're not great in a New England Winter, and once you have the thing looking fine, who want's to take it out all the time in snow, ice, sleet, salt, sand, and potholes. I'd love to have the 6MTcoupe but I'd have to have it off the road most of the time from Thanksgiving to middle of March or even later. I found a really nice one for sale that had the sport package with Brembo's. It was a near mint 2004 for a good price, but finding out about the oil consumption problem and the impracticability of it scared me off.

Tilford