G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Pre purchase advice needed please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pre purchase advice needed please

Hi all,
I'm looking to buy an 07 or 08 G sedan. I've been watching ebay & several other places for a while now and think I can get a loaded, low mileage specimen for ~ 25k. Before making the purchase I was hoping to get a couple questions answered from the folks who really know these cars.
BTW - This is going to be a third vehicle and used primarily for running around town - not the track.

What is the real world MPG difference between X & S?

Is having the AWD worth the MPG penalty if I don't need really need it?

What options are must have? (I really want premium, nav, and sport for the 18 in wheels & seats).

Is their any difference between 07 & 08?

Does the interior aluminum trim tend to fade or chip? I tested a couple 07's and the trim looked bad. Makes me think wood package is way to go.

What are your favorite color combos?

Are their any special issues, concerns or warning signs to look for when buying these vehicle?

Is it worth paying little extra for a CPO car?

If these questions have been beaten to death please forgive me - I did some searches and couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance for any input,
Mark

Old 04-02-2010, 11:23 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Kolshak
Hi all,
I'm looking to buy an 07 or 08 G sedan. I've been watching ebay & several other places for a while now and think I can get a loaded, low mileage specimen for ~ 25k. Before making the purchase I was hoping to get a couple questions answered from the folks who really know these cars.
BTW - This is going to be a third vehicle and used primarily for running around town - not the track.

What is the real world MPG difference between X & S?Around 1-3 mpg depending on how heavy your foot is

Is having the AWD worth the MPG penalty if I don't need really need it?More aftermarket upgrades are available for the non-X models, so if you want to do more mods it's something to consider, if you'd rarely if ever require AWD I'd just get the RWD G.

What options are must have? (I really want premium, nav, and sport for the 18 in wheels & seats).Buying used you'll be able to get fully loaded for not much more than a Journey, so you'd be better off just getting all those packages, you'd be better off settling for a color that might not be your first choice than settling on features that you truly want.

Is their any difference between 07 & 08?I had an 07, now have an 09, not sure about the 8s, but the 9s have a new mirror profile and sunrood deflector that both contribute to lower wind noise. Our 09 is definately quieter than our 07, the 08s will have the trans reflash done to decrease throttle sensitivity, 07s may or may not have had it done (it was a TSB)

Does the interior aluminum trim tend to fade or chip? I tested a couple 07's and the trim looked bad. Makes me think wood package is way to go.Never had any problems w/ the aluminum pieces, IMO the 07 wood trim looks out of place, but it's a highly personal decision. The only issue I had was the steering wheel bezel paint scraped off in places leaving an unsightly grey color beneath. I believe the 09s now have a solid black bezel, not sure about the 08s

What are your favorite color combos?Obsidian Black w/ Black interior on our 09 really looks nice. Our 07 was Blue Slate w/ stone and I really liked that too. It's rare but they have Black w/ tan interior and that looks great IMO. I really don't think any color combo looks bad on a G since it's such a nice looking car Like I said, if you find a car w/ the right price and all the features you want & need, color would take a back seat if you had to cut some features.

Are their any special issues, concerns or warning signs to look for when buying these vehicle? Try to get the maintance log and maybe a Carfax, if the car has been serviced at only 1 dealership and the records are all there you might be able to contact the dealership to ask more questions about the car. One issue that haunts these cars is the extremely fragile paint, the front end & hood are extremely chip-prone. If you can find a G w/ a clear bra you'll be better off. Even our 6 mo old 09 already has a bunch of hood chips. Our 06 Hyundai had much more reilient paint.

Is it worth paying little extra for a CPO car? Not sure, they pretty much just shine it up real nice and detail it, then verify that critical items have been serviced and I believe they run their own Carfax. I doubt it'd would really be worth the premium tough. I think you'd do well just getting a low mileage G that has a good portion of it's warranty left.

If these questions have been beaten to death please forgive me - I did some searches and couldn't find anything.

Mark
Good Luck in your search, you'll love your new G!

Old 04-03-2010, 01:27 PM
I have an 07 G35S AT for 3 years with 23K miles. My answers in bold.

Hi all,

What is the real world MPG difference between X & S? - With my S and a heavy foot, 15.5 MPG (70% city), light footed, 19.5 MPG.

If you are really concerned with MPG, you need to step up to the 2009 G37 with the 7 Speed AT, it makes a huge difference when driving on the fwy at 70+, G35 revs at 3000+ while the G37 revs around 2100 RPM, this will make a difference if you drive a lot of hwy miles.

Is having the AWD worth the MPG penalty if I don't need really need it?

What options are must have? (I really want premium, nav, and sport for the 18 in wheels & seats). Premium, Nav and Sport (seats feel much higher quality with sport package than in non-sport)

Is their any difference between 07 & 08? Only thing that may be different is the "S" on the trunk if you get a sport package. In 2007 Sport was its own trim level with Automatic option and had an "S" on the trunk for designation, while the 2008 was a Journey trim with sport package and no S on the trunk. 2008 owners will need to verify this as I am hazy on this one.

Does the interior aluminum trim tend to fade or chip? I tested a couple 07's and the trim looked bad. Makes me think wood package is way to go. - I have seen this on the forum. Personally, I have not had a fading issue and love the look of the unique aluminum. I think that the wood has always looked dated.

What are your favorite color combos? I love my Blue Slate (dark blue-gray) with black interior, also Platinum Graphite (dark gray), Lakeshore Slate (light blue), Liquid Platinum (silver) and Black Obsidian (only if taken care of well, with no swirls and you can handle the upkeep of a black car)

Are their any special issues, concerns or warning signs to look for when buying these vehicle? Currently, I am trying to diagnose a new problem with the fuel gauge not reading correctly and cannot put more than 14 gallons in a fill-up into a vehicle with a 20+ gallon fuel tank. One thing that some may call out as an issue on the 07 is the sensitive gas pedal. It is extremely sensitive and has taken me a long time to get used to it. It makes the car feel extremely fast, but if you are not used to it, you can give your passengers a small case of whip lash.

Is it worth paying little extra for a CPO car? depends upon how long you plan on keeping the car and how many miles you drive. Bumper to bumper is 4 yrs 50K miles and if you get a 2008 you could have 2 years left, the drivetrain is 6 yrs 70K miles so there should be a good amount left on an 07 or 08. You have to make the call based on your intentions for how long you will keep the car and your driving habits.

Mark
You will not be disappointed with the vehicle.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
......used primarily for running around town - not the track.

What is the real world MPG difference between X & S? It depends on the driver. I know someone who gets much worse with his S than I do with my X because of our different driving styles.

Is having the AWD worth the MPG penalty if I don't need really need it? In my opinion, if you live in the snow belt, definitely.

What options are must have? (I really want premium, nav, and sport for the 18 in wheels & seats).Premium is a must but get them all if you can. Just remember that the more toys it has the more it can cost if something goes wrong.

Is their any difference between 07 & 08?iPod adapter included in the '08's...thats basically it.

Does the interior aluminum trim tend to fade or chip? I tested a couple 07's and the trim looked bad. Makes me think wood package is way to go.It's real brushed aluminum so it can't fade or chip.

What are your favorite color combos?Black and any interior colour.

Are their any special issues, concerns or warning signs to look for when buying these vehicle?Like others have said, get the maintenance records, have your mechanic check it out.

Is it worth paying little extra for a CPO car?Yes

Old 04-04-2010, 12:46 AM
Thanks for answers guys.
After test driving the G I really love it however since car will primarily be driven by my GF I'm thinking I may opt for an IS250 due to MPG concerns. They are ~ same price & she could care less about enthusiastic driving and is more into comfort. Since I'll only be driving it once or twice a week I may have to swallow hard and take one for the team.
I already have an MY01 C4 911 sitting in the garage for times I really want to "drive" so getting a true sport sedan might not be best choice when premium gas is already well back over 3 a gallon.
Any thoughts to help me rationalize why I need the G over a similarly equipped IS250 or possibly even a slightly higher mileage IS350 or older 3 series?
thanks again

Old 04-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Thanks for answers guys.
After test driving the G I really love it however since car will primarily be driven by my GF I'm thinking I may opt for an IS250 due to MPG concerns. They are ~ same price & she could care less about enthusiastic driving and is more into comfort. Since I'll only be driving it once or twice a week I may have to swallow hard and take one for the team.
I already have an MY01 C4 911 sitting in the garage for times I really want to "drive" so getting a true sport sedan might not be best choice when premium gas is already well back over 3 a gallon.
Any thoughts to help me rationalize why I need the G over a similarly equipped IS250 or possibly even a slightly higher mileage IS350 or older 3 series?
thanks again
The IS 250 is a very different car, the doors are very "tinny" not at all solid like the Gs, the car feels very light and uninspiring. They look nice but it's really just a gussied up Corola IMO. The IS 350 is much more in line w/ the G and performs well. The back seat in the IS models is very tight, even the smallest adults will be wanting out ASAP. BMW 3s are great performers but if you're at all worried about the extra cost for gas in a G this will pale in comparison to any service/maintance issues that will surely come up w/ your Beemer. Hwy mileage in your G will be quite good for a 300+HP car, city mileage isn't great but is still worth it for the performance trade-off. I looked at all the cars in your list prior to buying our 07 (including Acura TL & Audi A4)and the G was a simple choice. The IS 350 was too much for comparable features and to cramped, the TL was Front wheel drive (and boring to drive), the BMW was also too much $ for similar features and future maintance issues, the A4 was in line w/ the BMW as well. The IS 250 wasn't even a consideration after 5 minutes behind the wheel.
In short, get the G, it's the best bang for the buck, reliable, great looking and a few extra bucks at fill-ups is a small price to pay for all this car delivers.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Thanks for answers guys.
thanks again
First you have to come to terms that it's more for her not you, lol.
If she doesnt drive with friends in the backseat for long trips then an IS250 will be a very nice choice. They are a very nice looking and reliable car. What does she want/need?

Old 04-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Gas with city and highway will be 20-22mpg, less if you drive aggressivly. If you don't mind driving a girls car once or two days out of the week get the is250. If you want more for your money get the 2007+ G sedan as they are relatively the same price.

You're lookIng at about 1-2 mpg advantage from the is250
But you're losing about 100hp, seating space, and pride points
I hope your choice is clearer after you consider these factors

Old 04-04-2010, 04:33 PM
To be fair, the Lexus does indeed have a very rich interior. Only Audi does interiors as well as Lexus in that price point. But the IS 250 is NOT a performance sedan and shouldn't be catagorized as such, it IS a luxury econo sedan though and is nicely appointed.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:39 PM
excellent replies. I know I say the car is for the wife but truth of the matter is she will probably end up driving the SUV most of the time anyway so......I really want a G. screw a few mpgs...life is too short.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:00 AM
I really want a G. screw a few mpgs...life is too short.
Now that's what I'm talking about!

Old 04-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Not sure if you have driven the IS250 before...it is slowwww especially in AWD. If you go with lexus you have to get the IS350. Not a bad car by any means, just smaller IMO...love the interior though.

My answers to add in bold below:

Hi all,
Is having the AWD worth the MPG penalty if I don't need really need it? No, if you really need winter handling, buy snow tires.

What options are must have? (I really want premium, nav, and sport for the 18 in wheels & seats). I went for premium and sport. Had to have the sport for all the reasons above. Would not buy one without it. Didnt go with nav. Car I found didnt have it. Would I like to have it? Sure. But I have other GPS devices that will suffice if I really need to find a place.

Is their any difference between 07 & 08? I believe the 2008 came with the ipod interface. 2007 does not have this option (just the RCA plugs).

Does the interior aluminum trim tend to fade or chip? I tested a couple 07's and the trim looked bad. Makes me think wood package is way to go. The trim does not face and I have no chips. I looked at many different G's and the only problem areas with the 2007s are the arm rests and steering wheel and gear shift **** scratching/chipping. Some have been able to get these replaced under warranty. Mine have not needed replaced though. Wood is a very rare find and cannot be had with the sport package.

What are your favorite color combos? Wanted black/black but couldnt find one in this combo that I was happy with. Love my stone interior. Still getting used to my Serengeti exterior... Love the fact that this combo with the sport package is VERY rare though. Have only seen one online in the whole country with the same specs. All other colors (minus the red) seem to be pretty popular.

Are their any special issues, concerns or warning signs to look for when buying these vehicle? Said best above. Do your homework and you will be fine.

Is it worth paying little extra for a CPO car? I went for CPO because I found an awesome deal on one. Also, for a little more up front it gives you some piece of mind for the future. I might be inclined to buy one without CPO IF it were from an Infiniti dealer or a reputable dealer (that sells major new brands) I was familiar with. Stay away from your typical used car dealership IMO.

Mark

Old 04-07-2010, 10:42 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
excellent replies. I know I say the car is for the wife but truth of the matter is she will probably end up driving the SUV most of the time anyway so......I really want a G. screw a few mpgs...life is too short.
Excattly right my friend! You are not promised tomorrow, it is a gift. Having said that I saved up for 3 years to get my dream car. I am 22 and have had my baby for about 8 months and love every second of it.

Perfromance is so serious.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:13 PM
keep in mind the G doesn't accelerate unintentionaly unless you want it to...lol.