G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Is this normal for an 08 G35 XS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this normal for an 08 G35 XS?

Hi all -

I leased an automatic G35 XS last June (so I've had it for just shy of 2 years). Less than 20k miles. Love the car; hate the 16mpg I get with primarily city driving. (At least it beats my 13mpg with the old FX).

I had an odd issue late last year with the G - sounded like I had a dead body in the trunk (I kid you not!) every time I went over a bump. Turned out there was no fluid in either rear shock. VERY odd, and especially for a new car. Anyway, dealer agreed this was strange, fixed it, and its been OK ever since.

Now, just went in for some routine maintenance this week (oil change, etc.). Turns out I needed new REAR brakes, but my front ones are OK. Isn't this odd for an automatic? Don't the front ones go bad first?

Maybe it's just me, but this car seems to have back end issues.....

Almost $500k later for this "routine maintenance" plus the new brakes. Would have been more $, but I declined the in-cabin air filter for a whopping $100+ savings. Unreal.

Does this rear-brakes-going-first sound right to you guys? I dunno -- seems like something is just off with this car...

Thanks for any advice...

go6car

Old 04-21-2010, 10:20 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Yes it has been observed that on the RWD G's at least the rear go out first which was explained to be due to the VDC and brake distribution systems that keep the rear wheels from spinning under spirited accelerations and tight turns. However, i can not comment on the X's but it seems like that it would have the same issue OR the faulty shocks might have demanded more from the rear brakes to keep the AWD system happy.

hope this calms some of your nerves.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:39 AM
You know, that makes perfect sense and I hadn't thought of that. I think you're right.

Thanks

Old 04-27-2010, 05:13 PM
My 2008x is leased. It have it just over the 2 year mark. Rear brakes were shot and just replaced. Fronts were changed last year and this year because of brake judder issue.

I fully think VDC eats brakes to some extent. I tend to drive through fairly deep snow at normal speeds (with snow tires). The VDC turns on quite a lot in those conditions. It does a great job and the car is outstanding in the snow. I think the price we pay is in brakes. Even in snow mode the rears get more power (after 12mph) and I do feel the brakes being applied to keep things in check.

For example, from a stop in about 8 inches of snow, just mash the gas and accelerate up to 60 mph (snow tires help). At some point around 30 or 40 the rear will start to slide out ever so gently. As soon as that happens the slip light starts flashing away, power is cut and the brakes are applied to straighten things out. Works very well, but I have no doubt that will cause rear brake wear.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:24 PM
Thanks. Mine is leased too. I went ahead and had the rears replaced.

With the maintenance costs so high, just wanted to make sure this was inline with with others might have experienced. Plus, with the issue I had earlier, the rears were about due anyway.

Thanks again!

Old 12-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if you dont plan to buy out the lease, i'd buy the cheapest possible rear pads.... dont think dealers will know any better when you return it.

also cabin filter can be bought for about $20, its very easy DIY

Old 12-03-2010, 03:39 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mossman
My 2008x is leased. It have it just over the 2 year mark. Rear brakes were shot and just replaced. Fronts were changed last year and this year because of brake judder issue.

I fully think VDC eats brakes to some extent. I tend to drive through fairly deep snow at normal speeds (with snow tires). The VDC turns on quite a lot in those conditions. It does a great job and the car is outstanding in the snow. I think the price we pay is in brakes. Even in snow mode the rears get more power (after 12mph) and I do feel the brakes being applied to keep things in check.

For example, from a stop in about 8 inches of snow, just mash the gas and accelerate up to 60 mph (snow tires help). At some point around 30 or 40 the rear will start to slide out ever so gently. As soon as that happens the slip light starts flashing away, power is cut and the brakes are applied to straighten things out. Works very well, but I have no doubt that will cause rear brake wear.
It was my understanding that the way the VDC works, it only cuts power to the offending wheels, it doesn't apply braking......

Old 12-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by liljohnny
It was my understanding that the way the VDC works, it only cuts power to the offending wheels, it doesn't apply braking......
No.. it does both, depending on the circumstance.
If the car gets sideways just cutting power would have minimal effect.
It needs to use a brake, to help correct the situation.

Advanced rear brake wear is a common complaint on many cars these days.
It's the trade off they make for added safety.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:13 AM
I always shut of VDC when I get into the car....because if the road conditions aren't hazardous no need to have them on and chew up the rear breaks.
Dealer that I go to agrees with me.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
if ur driving normally and u dont see the slip light blink during ur drive then the vdc has not been activated and this ur brakes will not be used.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bmovie
I always shut of VDC when I get into the car....because if the road conditions aren't hazardous no need to have them on and chew up the rear breaks.
Dealer that I go to agrees with me.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:23 PM
I also drive a 08 X and my rears just went out with the fronts having plenty of pad left. Its most likely from VDC since my 05 X had the same issue.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i have an 05x and always drive with the vdc off..the way i see it is i have awd and the car isnt powerful enough to spin tires anyway..i had the original rear breaks for 55k miles before they were changed..even in the snow i drive with the vdc off and snow mode on..ill rather let the car slide a little bit..helps with sharp turns to gas it a little and spin the back around