G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Does your trunk pop up?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 05:21 PM
N80
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Does your trunk pop up?

I've had my used 07 G35x for a month or so now. Love it. It is still under warranty but not for long. So, I have a couple of questions.

First, when I press the trunk release it unlatches but does not raise up. And then there is nowhere to grab it to lift it up and it takes more effort to lift than some especially when your hands are full. This may be normal and that's fine but I've seen and had other cars that when you hit the release the trunk lid comes up all the way. I'm just wondering if the lift pistons are shot and need replacing.

Second, I noticed that the radio did not sound as good as the one in my Ford F-150. After fiddling with the fader and balance I realized that the drivers side door speaker (at least the woofer or midrange) is not working. If that doesn't fall under the warranty I bet that is expensive to fix.

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter.

George

Old 06-12-2010, 05:45 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by N80
I've had my used 07 G35x for a month or so now. Love it. It is still under warranty but not for long. So, I have a couple of questions.

First, when I press the trunk release it unlatches but does not raise up. And then there is nowhere to grab it to lift it up and it takes more effort to lift than some especially when your hands are full. This may be normal and that's fine but I've seen and had other cars that when you hit the release the trunk lid comes up all the way. I'm just wondering if the lift pistons are shot and need replacing.

Second, I noticed that the radio did not sound as good as the one in my Ford F-150. After fiddling with the fader and balance I realized that the drivers side door speaker (at least the woofer or midrange) is not working. If that doesn't fall under the warranty I bet that is expensive to fix.

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter.

George
The trunk normally just unlocks but doesn't fully open.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:02 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by N80
I've had my used 07 G35x for a month or so now. Love it. It is still under warranty but not for long. So, I have a couple of questions. I'm just wondering if the lift pistons are shot and need replacing.
Thanks for any thoughts on the matter. George
Your speakers should still be under warranty. Those "lift pistons" are called "DAMPERS" and aren't designed to lift the trunklid but just allow you to lift it with very little effort. There should be a gap between the bottom of your trunklid and bumper which would allow you to lift the trunklid once it's unlocked....
Gary

Old 06-12-2010, 10:07 PM
N80
Thanks guys. The trunk lid is a bit of a disappointment. Trivial, but still. The trunk on my in-law's E-class pops all the way open which is nice. I guess it wouldn't be nice in the rain.

Anyway, since it looks like the speaker will need work does anyone know if Nissan dealerships do Infiniti warranty work?

George

Old 06-12-2010, 11:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish there was something to grab when closing it. I hate getting finger prints all over my nicely washed and waxed car/trunk.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Handle to close trunk...

Originally Posted by loudog2
I wish there was something to grab when closing it. I hate getting finger prints all over my nicely washed and waxed car/trunk.

On the 2008 models (sedan) there is a built-in handle on the right to grab when closing the trunk...I believe they made them for the 2007 models as well...look for it...the trunk door should have an indention with a space for you to place four fingers to grasp to close the trunk so that you do not have to close it from the outside.

Last edited by SirLennox; 06-13-2010 at 01:41 AM. Reason: word correction
Old 06-13-2010, 02:57 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by N80
Thanks guys. The trunk lid is a bit of a disappointment. Trivial, but still. The trunk on my in-law's E-class pops all the way open which is nice. I guess it wouldn't be nice in the rain.

Anyway, since it looks like the speaker will need work does anyone know if Nissan dealerships do Infiniti warranty work?

George
Nissan can do maintenance and whatnot but will not perform warranty work on Infiniti cars. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:51 PM
N80
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Nissan can do maintenance and whatnot but will not perform warranty work on Infiniti cars. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
That's what I figured. Not that big a deal but nearest Infiniti dealership is a good 30 minutes away.

George

Old 06-13-2010, 05:38 PM
Received 162 Likes on 116 Posts
Anyone know any more info on the oem trunk dampers?
Mine aren't as effective to bring the trunk door up anymore (takes a LOT more effort than it used to), so I'm considering going with another kind that would be strong enough to lift the trunk by itself... anyone has any specs on the oem psi or at least another car model's damper that i could get from ebay?

thanks!

Old 06-14-2010, 11:01 AM
N80
Well, that's why I asked this question. If the pistons are just 'dampers' as Gary describes them then they really don't 'lift' at all, they only decrease the speed with which the trunk lid comes up or down. I have not paid enough attention to say if there is a spring or not.

If they are lift pistons then they at least provide some lift and some damping as well.

On my car I cannot tell that they provide much lift at all and at times it feels like they are working against you when you go to lift the lid.

Again, this is a minor issue but at times it can be a pain.

George