G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Dammit. Someone hit me at the parking lot!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 05:46 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Angle hit, from passenger side toward driver side on the bumper, as if someone was reversing from a stall opposite your car's position and failed to judge the distance.

You can tell the initial impact point is the area where the dent/damage is the worst, then the rear of the offender car seems to have "skidded" across the bumper cover toward the driver's side headlight (where the marks become lighter in color/appearance).

That ****ing sucks Mike, make a police report if they do those types of reports where you live. Usually, a "hit and run" is a criminal offense.

Last edited by E-Ticket Ride; 08-11-2010 at 05:54 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:52 AM
Diagram lol

Attached Thumbnails Dammit. Someone hit me at the parking lot!-untitled.jpg  
Old 08-11-2010, 09:20 AM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Defratos
Damn who the hell reverses that hard
Someone in a riced-out Civic

OP, really sucks bro, sure hope you find the lowlife culprit. Having a few cars keyed I definately feel your pain

Old 08-11-2010, 06:31 PM
Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by E-Ticket Ride
Diagram lol
LOL E-ticket! you actually never know if someone backed out or if someone just ran into you like that. There are those people that drive across the parking lot and always text, or on the phone, or keep their eyes off the road when looking for something.
Well we are all waiting from Mike to see how it will turn out.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Looks like someone reversed into your bumper. Sadly, it looks like the vehicle that hit you has a metal / chrome bumper. So it would be hard to idenitfy which vehciles hit you. Unless they forgot to remove your paint from their bumper.

So, I would look for someone with a metal bumper guard. Mostly old cars/trucks.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by Shurik355
LOL E-ticket! you actually never know if someone backed out or if someone just ran into you like that. There are those people that drive across the parking lot and always text, or on the phone, or keep their eyes off the road when looking for something.
Well we are all waiting from Mike to see how it will turn out.
If it was a side-swipe (perpendicular impact), the bumper would have shifted in the direction of the impact (which is L to R, or pass to driver). Mike's bumper looks to be perfectly aligned, just dented.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike, so sorry to see this especially as my experience with you on-line has indicated your a real 'stand up' and helpful guy. I hope you can find the ***** that did this and get the police to lay charges. If not just get it fixed and forget about it life is too short (I say that but I know I would be pissed off for weeks ). The only benefit could be that you will get a fresh bumper so if you had any stone chips - no more , I know I could use a new paint job on my bumper. Anyhow best of luck with everything.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by soundmike
Originally Posted by speedracerg35
this is a hit and run and the police will investigate it if you call them with a suspect and your evidence. do not confront or harass anyone if you find out who it is. this only puts you on the wrong side of the argument and may end up getting you in trouble.
Would this apply to incidents in private parking lots? Well, it's owned by a private company and parking is generally only under contract, but they do open it up to (paid) public parking when there's an event nearby.
Hit and runs apply on both public roadways and private property just the same. Its a crime to damage someone else's vehicle and fail to provide them with your name, insurance information, and contact information. In some states you are required to contact the police if you hit a parked car. If you find out information as to who hit your G, you should contact the police and provide them with the evidence.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts
hit and run with my bro today!...

My brother called me today... Someone ran into his car while he was parked at the store parking lot!!! ... now I gotta fix and repaint his rear bumper for him.

WTH with people not knowing how to drive??? That makes me soo mad!!! I bet 90% of all those things are women drivers, I promise!!!!

Old 08-13-2010, 07:23 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Guys, thanks again for all the comments and insights! It has truly helped!

San, that illustration is awesome. You've got the orientation pretty close!

Shurik, sorry to hear about your brother's car August seems to be that kind of month. I don't know if you recall on the .Org when for a couple of years there was a spike in posts about being in an accident/etc, same month each year. That certainly made me cautious . Your bro is lucky to have you on board! Thanks for the offer for help, i might take you up on this as i may go the DIY route in fixing it (more below).

So, here's an update, in condensed form
  • Went to my insurance's approved shop (Ford), i'm looking at between $700 - $1100 in repairs depending on how severe the damage is behind the cover. They'll be using a remanufactured bumper, they'll try to match the paint, but no blending will occur.
  • I priced out the bumper cover online, and at the least the absorber. With paint it'll come out to the same price as my deductible. In which case, i may do the install myself. A local shop i've used before will do the painting. For $100 more they'll blend it with the fenders, but they have to keep the car for a day or two, and i have to shell out for a rental.
  • There was security camera coverage from a building across the street (looking at my vehicle from behind), but it was so zoomed out i could barely even make out the details in front of the car. That's a no-go
  • This morning, i noticed a car that has been absent for the entire week. She tends to park within 2-3 spots behind, in front or beside me. (Other times, in my spot). I noticed she had a new rear bumper with what looks like red primer. Looks like a MAACO job gone bad. Is it possible this is the culprit? Not seen in the photos i posted were really bad scratches on the car with what looked like red or reddish brown streaks... The scratches looked like someone tried to wipe something off with a metal pot scrubber.

Shurik, or anyone familiar. I'll be attempting to remove the bumper this weekend to assess further damage. Until then, i've looked at some pictures here of people who removed theirs. Comparing the location of the foam absorber with the damage i have. It seems that's the reach of the damage. The rebar doesn't sit until further in. Thoughts?

Again, thank you all!

Old 08-13-2010, 07:33 AM
Forgot to ask, is blending paint that big of a deal for the G that's an '07? Also, unlike my previous cars, there's not much of the fender or hood that meets up with the bumper, so a slight mis-match may not be noticeable, no?

At least, compared to the rear bumper, where even the slightest mis-match would be pretty obvious.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Soundmike,

Sorry that this happened to you. I thought the deductible for hit and run is not the same as collision. I know someone that have 250 deductible for hit and run but 500 for collision and the rate will not go up because that is not your fault. Have you look into that?
With that said, without any proof, I don't see how you can get that lady to admit anything. I was in an accident a few days ago that is clearly the other guy's fault but at this point am not sure if I have to pay for my own repair. Somehow your situation sounds a lot better than mine. Anyways... good luck.
NamNhi

Old 08-13-2010, 09:55 AM
I've had three insurance companies and don't remember having an option for hit and run insurance.

It's usually, comp, collision and liability. But hey, if it's out there and you have it....nice.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by soundmike
Forgot to ask, is blending paint that big of a deal for the G that's an '07? Also, unlike my previous cars, there's not much of the fender or hood that meets up with the bumper, so a slight mis-match may not be noticeable, no?
At least, compared to the rear bumper, where even the slightest mis-match would be pretty obvious.
Mike
As long as the surrounding paint is in good condition (and I'm sure yours is), then blending will be no problem

Old 08-14-2010, 10:17 AM
^ Cool. That would be good, less downtime

NamNhi, sorry to hear about your damage, too. Seems to be that time of the year

So i took the bumper off and inspected the damage, it was not as bad as i thought, thankfully!

The metal bumper in the middle is intact, and the foam absorber is, for the most part, untouched. The corner on the absorber is slightly compressed (hardly noticeable), so i'm wondering... should i still replace it?

Thanks again, guys!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dammit. Someone hit me at the parking lot!