G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

AC SMELLS BAD!!!! help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, that only happens in mine if I leave the AC on when I turn the ignition off. I'm guessing it's moist air being left in the pipes/matrix or something and maybe condensing out. Turn on the AC next day and it whiffs that moisture into the air. Just my thoughts

Old 09-10-2010, 01:27 PM
Simple Solution for AC Smell

Yes, I have the same problem with AC smell and I won't go into detail on how frustrating it is to have a luxury car that smells like a Frat house laundry hamper...

I will say that spraying anything into the intake vents on the outside of the car was really a waste and never had a hope of fixing the main smell.

It has been mentioned here that there is a product called Klima-Cleaner. This is a German product designed to clean car HVAC systems. It is a disinfectant spray with a long tube and a ported tip to help foam the cleaner onto the evaporator. I purchased a can, but there are issues using it with the G35, so here are a few tips.

The main air vents on either side of the center display have screen mesh inside them. This must be to prevent debris for entering or exiting the air box where the evaporator and heater cores are. The screen unfortunately interferes with the recommended use of the Klima-Cleaner.

I used an alternate approach. Removing the glove box and cabin air filter (see other help sections if you have never done this) you can access the blower fan for the HVAC system. The fan takes air through the cabin filter and blows it 90 degrees out into the air box where the evaporator core is. By sticking the cleaner tube through the blower fan blades, you can work the tube up into the air box and to the cores. I am sure it reaches one of the cores in the air box, as I could hear the metal tip of the tube touching the fins on a core.

I then sprayed the Klima-Cleaner and slowly moved the tube back and fourth to help distribute the foam inside the air box. About half way through the can, I could hear some of the cleaner dripping out of the AC drain onto the floor, so it was clear that I was working in the area of the evaporator and drain. After the use I let the car sit per instructions and then fired up the AC and switched through the various vent functions, heat, defrost, etc.

The cleaner worked and all smell is gone now. An additional tip is to use the Klima-Cleaner tube and put it on a can of Ozium, Oust, Lysol, etc. and spray that deep inside your other cabin vents as a booster. (You can see in the second photo that the spray can side of the tube will actually replace the little spray head on most cans of disinfectant).

I am just offering this method as an option. Maybe it helps some of you with the same funk I had going on.

-KMC

Last edited by KMCG35X; 09-10-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great write up!^^^ Thanks for taking the time to show us.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:15 PM
Bringing up an old thread because 3 years later. still a problem!!! would it be worth it to replace the ac drier? or evaporator? 3 years i've been spraying **** into my AC everytime summer comes along, i want a permanent.

i dont know **** about cars, but i went to the extent to learn how to AC unit works and found out ill need a shop to fix that stuff. would it be worth it? because i've sprayed every damn solution out there in every vent, every hose (i think) i replaced my cabin filter, stuck the klima tube up there and sprayed like no tomorrow.

thanks for your help guys

Old 08-29-2013, 06:49 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Thanks for reviving; very timely. I have the problem too with my G I bought in March. I have an appointment tomorrow at the dealer for a warranty repair on the sunglass holder (of all things! spring mechanism crapped out); I'm going to put the question to the service tech and see what kind of goodwill he will offer.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:05 PM
unfortunately they will tell you to get the a/c cleaning aersol. which was like 130. stupid because its not a permanent fix.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:57 AM
bump as i have had this problem from 2008- 2014. Any updates or any recommendations?