G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Just purchased '07 G35S 6MT w/ 37k

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 01:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Just purchased '07 G35S 6MT w/ 37k

So, I've been looking for about a month and finally found a black/black 07 G35S 6MT with low miles (37k) and I snatched it right up.. very hard to come by in the northeast. Unfortunately I won't be taking delivery until later this week, gonna be a long couple days for sure.

The car seems to be fully loaded except the tech package (no active headlights, etc), which is quite an upgrade from my previous Nissans (although I did love them too). The front end is immaculate for a used black car, there are absolutely no chips/scratches on the bumper and hood, which makes me think this was a townie car. Unfortunately, there is some scratching on the drivers side doors... but a good detailing will do it justice.

I'm coming from a '97 Maxima SE 5MT to a '02 Maxima SE AT (never an auto again!) and my wife had a '01 Maxima SE AT... I love VQ engines, great power, never had a major mechanical problem with one to date, so this is quite an upgrade and I'm pretty excited about it.

I've been trolling these forums for awhile while I've been searching for a car trying to get an idea on the issues people have had, solutions, what dealers will cover, mods, etc..

Things I will likely do immediately are:

- To apply the clutch fix (detach the spring loaded actuator)
- Black out the grill
- Paint headlights
- Shave off INFINITI text-logo on trunk (still undecided on this, was a bad look for Maximas but I think it looks good on the G trunk)

The interior of the car is showing a good deal of wear in the same places many people here have complained (front driver + passender door handles, some plastic near the window buttons, some peeling on the steering wheel control areas). I've looked inside many G's (mostly G35X) and saw this on all of them.

Some thing's I'd like to know are..

- Recalls + TSBs to get
- Recalls + TSBs to *not* get
- Audio system issues? (I know someone with an '05 maxima w/ 6-disc in-dash bose and has had nothing but problems, changed out twice now)
- Interior panels + steering wheel changed out by dealer for peeling/chipping?
- Major mechanical problems to prevent/avoid early
- Any 6MT Issues?
- What kind of highway mileage are 6MT owners getting? I drive pretty conservatively on my daily commute, in my '97 5MT i used to get 33 MPG, which was a few MPG above its rating... And in my current 02 Maxima I get about 31 MPG on the highway. Both of these figures, to me, are pretty astounding for fairly high powered 6 cyclinders... I know the G is rated considerably lower, but I find that I usually exceed the ratings the way that I drive

Any other advice/info would be greatly appreciated!

Also, as a side note, why are the OEM tires Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's? These are a summer performance tire that Tirerack doesn't even apply snow/ice ratings for, that's just horrific for me in the northeast... I guess I'll have to get a set of blizzak's or something just for the winter and swap out tires for the seasons.

Last edited by asherwin; 09-26-2010 at 01:49 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:02 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by asherwin

I've been trolling these forums for awhile while I've been searching for a car trying to get an idea on the issues people have had, solutions, what dealers will cover, mods, etc..
welcome to the forum, do a search and many of your questions will be answered. By trolling I hope you mean lurking haha we dont take a liking to trolls

as for your questions, someone will answer them shortly

Old 09-26-2010, 07:42 AM
I forgot to mention one thing,

This car has tint, which to me looks like it could be factory installed... But I don't think I've *ever* seen another (unmodded) G35 with tinted windows. Was tint a factory option on the '07 model year?

If it's not factory, it looks like quality tint to me.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:54 AM
Actually, after reading through the details of all the package options on the '07 model year at http://www.freshalloy.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158018, this car must have the tech package since it has the backup camera.

I'm not sure I'm thrilled about the car having the AFS (adaptive front lighting system), which is a cool feature but more moving parts.

Do people still take apart and paint the headlights with AFS without issues? Any complications from that? I've gone through the headlight painting threads here and on g35nyc and don't recall any mention of AFS when talking about the process of dismantling them.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts
Old 09-27-2010, 05:57 PM
Sounds like you picked up a pretty nice example. See my attempt at some answers below... Oh, and post some pics!

Originally Posted by asherwin
So, I've been looking for about a month and finally found a black/black 07 G35S 6MT with low miles (37k) and I snatched it right up.. very hard to come by in the northeast. Unfortunately I won't be taking delivery until later this week, gonna be a long couple days for sure. Yes, it will be the longest couple days of your life

The car seems to be fully loaded except the tech package (no active headlights, etc), which is quite an upgrade from my previous Nissans (although I did love them too). The front end is immaculate for a used black car, there are absolutely no chips/scratches on the bumper and hood, which makes me think this was a townie car. Unfortunately, there is some scratching on the drivers side doors... but a good detailing will do it justice.

I'm coming from a '97 Maxima SE 5MT to a '02 Maxima SE AT (never an auto again!) and my wife had a '01 Maxima SE AT... I love VQ engines, great power, never had a major mechanical problem with one to date, so this is quite an upgrade and I'm pretty excited about it.

Things I will likely do immediately are:

- To apply the clutch fix (detach the spring loaded actuator)
- Black out the grill
- Paint headlights
- Shave off INFINITI text-logo on trunk (still undecided on this, was a bad look for Maximas but I think it looks good on the G trunk)

The interior of the car is showing a good deal of wear in the same places many people here have complained (front driver + passender door handles, some plastic near the window buttons, some peeling on the steering wheel control areas). I've looked inside many G's (mostly G35X) and saw this on all of them.

Some thing's I'd like to know are..

- Recalls + TSBs to get; if it has been to the dealer, then these are probably all up to date.
- Recalls + TSBs to *not* getSome dont like the reprogrammed throttle that delays response but again if yours has been to the dealer, this has probably already been applied.
- Audio system issues? (I know someone with an '05 maxima w/ 6-disc in-dash bose and has had nothing but problems, changed out twice now) Dont think I have heard of anyone having problems. However, some people do complain that the bose system sounds a little weak compared with others...still works though.
- Interior panels + steering wheel changed out by dealer for peeling/chipping? All depends on your dealer and your relationship. Some have had them replaced, others have not.
- Major mechanical problems to prevent/avoid early No?
- Any 6MT Issues? The light switch of a clutch which you are already addressing.
- What kind of highway mileage are 6MT owners getting? I drive pretty conservatively on my daily commute, in my '97 5MT i used to get 33 MPG, which was a few MPG above its rating... And in my current 02 Maxima I get about 31 MPG on the highway. Both of these figures, to me, are pretty astounding for fairly high powered 6 cyclinders... I know the G is rated considerably lower, but I find that I usually exceed the ratings the way that I drive I have an auto, but I am getting 17-18 with all in town driving and 22 mixed. On a 500 mile road trip with cruise at 70-74 I averaged only 23.5.

Any other advice/info would be greatly appreciated!

Also, as a side note, why are the OEM tires Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's? These are a summer performance tire that Tirerack doesn't even apply snow/ice ratings for, that's just horrific for me in the northeast... I guess I'll have to get a set of blizzak's or something just for the winter and swap out tires for the seasons.The sport package equipped cars come with summer tires from the factory. The newer sport X models come with all seasons. Best bet is to order the snows for your climate in the winter

Old 10-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Ridicuously shiny thanks to my buddy.. wash, clay bar, wash, polish, sealed

Old 10-03-2010, 12:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice car....

Dealers should replace your panels that are peeling. If they don't I would find another dealer in your area. I do all of my maintenance @ dealer so they have never given me any trouble re: warranty work. I just got mine 3 months ago and had 4 trips to the dealer (oil change, some warranty stuff...) everytime I go I'm impressed by Infiniti/my dealer. Very courteous and my car never comes back with more problems as some have experienced.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
car looks great and as good as new! now clean up those exhaust tips to complete the look.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:54 PM
Nice color combo

Old 10-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Just took delivery of mine last night. Drove it from pick up location to the house. A bit dirty and hard to tell just how nice it looks as I purchased it online. Mine also has the scratched up door handles (as did many other used g35's we looked at).

Black on Black, 6mt, nav, tech, 42k miles (warranty until Aug 2011).

Anyone have any ideas on the Infiniti extended warranty? Reading through the manual it is from the dealer, is there room for negotiation on the price on that warranty? Any suggestions on dealers to call about the warranty?

Good luck on yours, Ill try and post some pics when I get it cleaned up this weekend (came 200 miles on a truck so its dirty).

Old 10-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Sounds identical to mine! I love it so far

Old 10-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Nice car bro, your buddy did a really good job on the detail from what I can see. Welcome! Good to have you.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts
pics please!

Old 10-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Don't forget the slave cylinder issue. That's always fun when your clutch pedal stays on the floor ...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just purchased '07 G35S 6MT w/ 37k