G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Radiator cooling fan works non-stop? anyone had this?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 10:17 PM
Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts
Radiator cooling fan works non-stop? anyone had this?

An update: Ok guys just an update on this issue. The problem was fixed a while back now but no reply to what the fix was. Sorry about that. Had people asking if I fixed the issue or not.

It was a bad control module on the fan assembly. Had to get a new one to fix the problem.
Actually went through a lot to find out what was the problem.

Hey guys I noticed my radiator fan started working non-stop for couple days now.
Car works fine, no engine lights, no overheating or anything, got plenty of coolant. The engine would be cold with everything off and fan still keeps running. WTH you know. I haven't looked/dug into the solution or what might be causing that, but just checking in, and perhaps someone had this problem fixed in the past.

Anyone know what that might be??

Last edited by Shurik355; 12-13-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:23 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
When you say non-stop everything off, do you mean with the car not running key not even in the ignition? if its running with the ignition off and the car cooled down, its probably just a bad relay

Old 10-26-2010, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by UCIMAplaya2
When you say non-stop everything off, do you mean with the car not running key not even in the ignition? if its running with the ignition off and the car cooled down, its probably just a bad relay
Well that's the problem, it doesn't matter if it's cold or warmed up the fan is always on from the time you get your ignition to acc. The only time the fan goes off is when the I turn the ignition off. Engine might be off and fan still be running. If i turn everything off that's the only way to shut that thing off lol

Old 10-26-2010, 10:29 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
could be a bad temp sensor.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
could be a bad temp sensor.
you mean the ambient sensor or which? I can't remember, but I though I had it replaced before. I guess I might ask our Mechanics at work what that might be.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:27 AM
no its called the coolant temperature sensor, just follow the wires from the fan to the block and then unplug it and thats the sensor. Also check the relay, thats the only two things that i can think of.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
no its called the coolant temperature sensor, just follow the wires from the fan to the block and then unplug it and thats the sensor. Also check the relay, thats the only two things that i can think of.
thanks Kool_yaar. I will check the relays. Not sure what is causing that but I need to start looking for the solution. I guess this problem is not too common.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:27 PM
If it turns off when you turn the key off, it is less likely to be the relay. I dont have time to look at the service manual right now but if our cars are like most cars, they should have more than one coolant temp sensor. One lets the ecu know what the coolant temp is(true sensor), and one just works like a switch that sends a ground signal to the relay that runs the fan. When that fails it typically allows the fan to run continuously but usually because of the way the car is wired, it should only do it with the key in the on position. It is possible that its still a relay but its more likely to be coolant temp switch. Check both.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by UCIMAplaya2
If it turns off when you turn the key off, it is less likely to be the relay. I dont have time to look at the service manual right now but if our cars are like most cars, they should have more than one coolant temp sensor. One lets the ecu know what the coolant temp is(true sensor), and one just works like a switch that sends a ground signal to the relay that runs the fan. When that fails it typically allows the fan to run continuously but usually because of the way the car is wired, it should only do it with the key in the on position. It is possible that its still a relay but its more likely to be coolant temp switch. Check both.
yes it's does start when the key is in on position, and when the key is off the fan goes off as well. It sure does sound like it's a bad temp sensor switch like you described. I looked real quick in the engine department and couldn't exactly find out which one it is. Where would that temp switch be located to look for???

UCIMAplaya2 you sound like you're a mechanic. You work as a mechanic anywhere?

Old 10-28-2010, 08:23 PM
No Im not a mechanic but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night.

Lol no Im not certified so I will never say I am a mechanic. I feel its an insult to real mechanics. I did work as a mechanic at a shop for a number of years. Now I have been doing repair work on cars on the side to make money I am in school. Im actually an electrical engineer working on a masters now (reason I need to do repair work on the weekends, part time engineering work only pays so well) who just like cars and repairing them just comes easy to me.

The following users liked this post:
DanCanady (04-24-2023)
Old 10-28-2010, 10:12 PM
^^^ I see, well ...
...I messed around with the car to find out what up, and noticed that the right/passenger side of the fan does not turn on whatever i do. Seems like the driver side goes off when it sences that the right side doesn't work? I checked all the fuses with the test light and everything seems ok. Checked that (RED) fan relay and that seems ok as well. Tried looking for the temp switch and no luck, have no idea where its located.

Anyway any tips with that info ^^^ ???

Old 10-28-2010, 11:42 PM
Hope this helps.

Name:  coolanttemp.jpg
Views: 13635
Size:  155.6 KB
General position of the coolant sensor

Name:  cooltemp.jpg
Views: 6050
Size:  36.0 KB
More closer look

Old 10-28-2010, 11:43 PM
oh btw these diagrams show the engine coolant temp SENSOR not the switch that the other guy is talking about, im not sure about that so cant help much there but checking this sensor might help.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by Shurik355
^^^ I see, well ...
...I messed around with the car to find out what up, and noticed that the right/passenger side of the fan does not turn on whatever i do. Seems like the driver side goes off when it sences that the right side doesn't work?
Both fans don't always turn on and off at the same time. Typically one fan runs often (in this case, the driver side) and the other turns on only when the ecu says "ok thats hot enough." or the a/c needs to be more efficient so it needs to cool the condenser more. The driver side isn't turning off because it senses the right side isnt working, its probably just turning off under normal operation. Its starting to sound like its working as it should? Am I misunderstanding something?

Old 10-29-2010, 02:43 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
I thought the drivers side fan only works when the engine is running, not when the key is in the ON position.
The passenger side is only supposed to work when the engine is warm and idling or the A/C is ON correct?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Radiator cooling fan works non-stop? anyone had this?