G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Silver/Liquid Platinum Color Aging

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver/Liquid Platinum Color Aging

Hi, been a lurker for awhile, but had a question I can't seem to find the answer to. To start off, recent owner of a 2008 G35x AWD Sedan in Liquid Platinum with all the extras. Loving it, but...

I'm used to aging of paint showing a slight discoloration between metal body parts and plastic ones (e.g. rear side versus rear bumper).

But I'm noticing a discoloration between the driver/passenger front doors and the front pieces below the hood (see 1 and 2 in example picture, not my car, just pointing out the pieces in question). They both feel like they're the same material, so I am not sure what is up.

Obviously, it is entirely possible it was in an accident and was poorly repainted, but given the exactness on both sides in the same location and the clean reports this possibility seems minimized.

Anyone else know if this is just something that occurs on this particular color between those two pieces, if there is something I can do to minimize the difference, or if I should just get the car repainted?

Old 12-04-2010, 07:57 PM
The difference you see maybe the result wax/sealant application or lack of. Not sure what would cause the difference unless the body parts were painted at different times. You might talk to a body fender shop and see what the shop has to say!

By the way I love the color! Welcome to the forum!

Last edited by Major G35; 12-04-2010 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Deleted text
Old 12-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^whs, the silver is really hard to match after an accident or repair, it is quite possible that the car was in a minor fender bender with a railing or something which was not reported and thus does not show up in any reports. Have a bodyshop check it out and 9/10 times they can tell u if the panels were repainted with a 100% certainty

Old 12-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt its paint fade, since those two areas are so close to each other. Maybe the car was once in an accident and the parts were replaced without paint matching since paint matching usually costs more.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:46 AM
Dang. Guess I'll have a body shop take a look and maybe see about having the door(s) repainted.

I am kind of a noob when it comes to paint - will there be any issues with future fade since a repaint will be "fresh" and the paint around it won't be?

Like, will it look great now, but in a year or two the doors look better than the surrounding?

Old 12-05-2010, 11:10 AM
I have LP and have had both bumpers painted due to small boo boos....my body shop got the match 99% perfect. My front bumper I just had blended due to a scrape - and the rear someone backed into and pushed it in.

Silver metallic is usually a bit hard...but should be able to be done.

Do a carfax to see if any history shows up - altho if small or not claimed it will not.

If they used the proper primer and paint application process and you wax it regularly - there should be no issue with fading.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by ParkStr8
I have LP and have had both bumpers painted due to small boo boos....my body shop got the match 99% perfect. My front bumper I just had blended due to a scrape - and the rear someone backed into and pushed it in.

Silver metallic is usually a bit hard...but should be able to be done.

Do a carfax to see if any history shows up - altho if small or not claimed it will not.

If they used the proper primer and paint application process and you wax it regularly - there should be no issue with fading.
Do you happen to remember about how much that job cost you?

Carfax and Autocheck are clean, was a low-mileage lease vehicle, they must've just scraped something and then had panels repainted poorly (maybe). I'm going to try polishing it Tuesday afternoon just to make sure.

On the plus side, my bumper has a ding on it but the dealership is redoing the bumper for me for free. I might try to convince them to do the door(s) too, and/or just have them do it all in one go even if it costs me.

Thanks!

Old 12-05-2010, 10:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 07 LP also. Silver paint has the least pigmentation of all colors, therefore, it will fade the quickest. I notice my rear bumper is starting to fade in luster a bit.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:03 PM
I've heard repainting the whole car the factory color is less expensive than repainting a different color - so I am debating actually just having the whole car repainted LP :x

Old 12-05-2010, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by aloof
I've heard repainting the whole car the factory color is less expensive than repainting a different color - so I am debating actually just having the whole car repainted LP :x
That is an expensive proposition.

A good body shop will be able to blend the panels for much much less.

Last edited by CerveloR3-SL; 12-06-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:17 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^+1, all u ned is for them to blend it in.