G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

G35x service issues..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35x service issues..

Recently purchased a 2008 G35x with about 14,000 miles. Currently has about 16,000 miles.
Today I went to get the car serviced at a local Infiniti dealer.

Issues I came to the dealer with were:
Low mpg (averaging 16 mph or less)
Bluetooth microphone problems - people complain that they can't hear me or that they can't hear some words.
Foul smell when the heat/ climate control is on.

They told me that the mpg is normal for the car, they refused to do anything about it. I came from a 2006 Mercedes E350 4matic which averaged about 20 mpg and it also was all wheel drive. Not sure what the problem is, but they said there is nothing to check.

For the bluetooth problem, they simply unpaired the phone and then paired it again. Didn't really help, but they said there isn't anything else they could do.

Now here's the best part, the foul smell. They called me in to the service area and showed me that the car has leaves/ debris, possible nest stuck under the engine where the air comes in. How it got there, no one can explain it but they want $1,000 to clean the debris out. Have they gone insane? The car only has 16,000 miles and it's an '08!

I don't know what to do at this point, I'm probably not going back to the same dealer. Rude and unhelpful.
If you live in Connecticut, don't go to Harte Infiniti in Hartford!

Old 01-17-2011, 03:52 PM
Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
$1,000 to clean it out? LOL Gotta love stealerships

Old 01-17-2011, 03:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bad experience... Go to another and hopefully you'll get better customer service...

As far as your MPG goes, your driving will affect it a lot.. I recently moved and do a lot more city driving. My MPG is now at around 17MPG... So your 16 seems reasonable since it is an X...

Old 01-17-2011, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by Anton_Chigurh
$1,000 to clean it out? LOL Gotta love stealerships
It was shocking! His excuse was that the engine would have to be lifted out! I didn't know that a certified pre-owned car would be allowed to be sold with such an issue - the smell is always present with the climate control on. They also sold the car with the wrong filter (in-cabin filter, glove compartment) and showed me the wrong filter and they want me to pay for a new one.

I'll have to go to another dealer, the car is great other than the gas mileage and the debris issue.

As for the gas mileage, before I owned a 2006 Mercedes E350 4matic (also a 3.5 and also AWD) and often averaged around 20 mpg, often 25 mpg if driven on the highway long enough.
The service representative tried telling me that the mpg displayed in the car is inaccurate.

I will have to go to another dealer, there's another Harte Infiniti in CT but hopefully the people there are actually of some help.

The service manager wasn't there when I came to have the car serviced, so I will have to speak to him about he issues. I also found reviews online of this dealership and there are people that also have issues with the service and the people they dealt with while they had their car serviced. Turns out that I'm not the only one that thinks Ray is incompetent at doing his job. I may end up printing all of the complaints out and showing them if nothing ends up being done.

Thank you

Old 01-17-2011, 11:11 PM
These cars do not get good mileage..i am at 17 myself this winter..but its expected with these vehicles

Old 01-17-2011, 11:16 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
The 16 mpg is kinda normal, your old merc had 268-hp your new car has 300. Also they are completely different engines and transmissions attached, nissan went for pep then MPG when it comes to the transmission gearing. plus its winter time with winter blend which is -(~20%) mpg

Infiniti of North America is very good at making sure that customer service is perfect.

Check http://www.esnips.com/doc/28a7f01e-24ab-456e-8ad6-dc876f033120/Image0004 out ( Loads slow be patient)

Its a list of the Certification list that the dealer needs to check before they certify your car. I have danced with my dealer before which is why I have this.

Under Interior- "Air Conditioning system(Cold/Condition/Operation)"

I would defiantly put the horrible smell under poor condition which means they should of cleaned it.

Also I am 99% sure air comes in from the wiper cowel on the passenger side, you see the mesh? That also leads to the in cabin air filter. Was it changed back to the correct one? Was it changed at all?

Make sure you have the certification receipt that you paid for. And If your problem even loosly connects to the check list, push it on them. If not call Infiniti of North America, or better yet send a well typed out letter in the mail, and send it to both your dealer and Infiniti of NA. Letting them know they both have been notified. That will get them moving.

Or you can call but I hear its a longer process.

I personally went through this as the dealer certified my car with out doing jack.

Also get your maintenance history from the dealer, it should say "Certification check" either pass or fail. Mine failed the first time then passed with just an engine filter change. But the belts were old and cracked and the cabin filter was never changed..ect

Last edited by thescreensavers; 01-18-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
man i wish i got 17!!! i get 15 if im lucky! idk why.... i try so hard not to get it past 2.8k rpm when i drive..... if u have an issue mines broken!

Old 01-18-2011, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by Davidx1994
Recently purchased a 2008 G35x with about 14,000 miles. Currently has about 16,000 miles.
Today I went to get the car serviced at a local Infiniti dealer.

Issues I came to the dealer with were:
Low mpg (averaging 16 mph or less)
Bluetooth microphone problems - people complain that they can't hear me or that they can't hear some words.
Foul smell when the heat/ climate control is on.

They told me that the mpg is normal for the car, they refused to do anything about it. I came from a 2006 Mercedes E350 4matic which averaged about 20 mpg and it also was all wheel drive. Not sure what the problem is, but they said there is nothing to check.

For the bluetooth problem, they simply unpaired the phone and then paired it again. Didn't really help, but they said there isn't anything else they could do.

Now here's the best part, the foul smell. They called me in to the service area and showed me that the car has leaves/ debris, possible nest stuck under the engine where the air comes in. How it got there, no one can explain it but they want $1,000 to clean the debris out. Have they gone insane? The car only has 16,000 miles and it's an '08!

I don't know what to do at this point, I'm probably not going back to the same dealer. Rude and unhelpful.
If you live in Connecticut, don't go to Harte Infiniti in Hartford!
How interesting. I was at the dealership today explaining the same issues.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:44 AM
Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts
thats a low mileage for an 08, u lucky sob!

Old 01-18-2011, 06:57 AM
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
The 16hp is kinda normal, your old merc had 268-hp your new car has 300. Also they are completely different engines and transmissions attached, nissan went for pep then MPG when it comes to the transmission gearing. plus its winter time with winter blend which is -(~20%) mpg

Infiniti of North America is very good at making sure that customer service is perfect.

Check this link out ( Loads slow be patient)

Its a list of the Certification list that the dealer needs to check before they certify your car. I have danced with my dealer before which is why I have this.

Under Interior- "Air Conditioning system(Cold/Condition/Operation)"

I would defiantly put the horrible smell under poor condition which means they should of cleaned it.

Also I am 99% sure air comes in from the wiper cowel on the passenger side, you see the mesh? That also leads to the in cabin air filter. Was it changed back to the correct one? Was it changed at all?

Make sure you have the certification receipt that you paid for. And If your problem even loosly connects to the check list, push it on them. If not call Infiniti of North America, or better yet send a well typed out letter in the mail, and send it to both your dealer and Infiniti of NA. Letting them know they both have been notified. That will get them moving.

Or you can call but I hear its a longer process.

I personally went through this as the dealer certified my car with out doing jack.

Also get your maintenance history from the dealer, it should say "Certification check" either pass or fail. Mine failed the first time then passed with just an engine filter change. But the belts were old and cracked and the cabin filter was never changed..ect
Thank you so much!

The filter was not changed at all, they wanted me to pay for one. I took it to another Infiniti dealer; hopefully they change it, otherwise I could just buy a filter on Amazon or eBay.

It looks like I will have to call Infiniti North America as they did not fix anything and said they wouldn't. A 10 year old could have troubleshooted as well as they did.

The thing with the low gas mileage is that I've seen people mention online that they get decent gas mileage with the 2007-2008 G35x, from 18 mpg and above, but I have never hit 20 mpg, even extended trips on the highway.

The car was the lowest mileage I could find in the state and it was for such a good price as well. Maybe now I'm figuring out why it was a good price! Haha

Old 01-18-2011, 07:54 AM
Thumbs up

It was shocking! His excuse was that the engine would have to be lifted out! I didn't know that a certified pre-owned car would be allowed to be sold with such an issue - the smell is always present with the climate control on. They also sold the car with the wrong filter (in-cabin filter, glove compartment) and showed me the wrong filter and they want me to pay for a new one.

I'll have to go to another dealer, the car is great other than the gas mileage and the debris issue.

As for the gas mileage, before I owned a 2006 Mercedes E350 4matic (also a 3.5 and also AWD) and often averaged around 20 mpg, often 25 mpg if driven on the highway long enough.
The service representative tried telling me that the mpg displayed in the car is inaccurate.

I will have to go to another dealer, there's another Harte Infiniti in CT but hopefully the people there are actually of some help.

The service manager wasn't there when I came to have the car serviced, so I will have to speak to him about he issues. I also found reviews online of this dealership and there are people that also have issues with the service and the people they dealt with while they had their car serviced. Turns out that I'm not the only one that thinks Ray is incompetent at doing his job. I may end up printing all of the complaints out and showing them if nothing ends up being done.

Thank you
Sorry to hear about the smell issue but I would like to share my personal mileage concern history with you. I’ve had a 2007 G35X since new it now has 20,100 miles. When I first got the car the rush of the driving experience was almost overwhelming. After a careful break-in period I was soon addicted to the new levels of performance and adhesion. After countless tanks of 14 MPG or less I started to settle down with my G. Living in congested urban environment and exerting great discipline I was able to get to around 16 MPG. So I said to myself “well if this is price to pay so be it”. I recently moved to upstate NY and to my surprise there was quite a difference in my MPG with the same personal control I was used to now. My MPG went to between 18 to 21 MPG. Mind you it’s not great numbers but it still is a blast to drive and “well if this is price to pay so be it”. One more note I place no real credence in those average MPG displays. They are just nice to look at. Gas tank math has always been my preferred method of choice and it works.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:26 PM
My 2007 x has been getting nearer to 18mpg on the highway using winter blend...21 when it was still summer blend. City driving with the snow lately last 2 tanks have been closer to 14-15. Overall average for the time I have owned it 5 months is 18.1mpg.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Thank you so much!

The filter was not changed at all, they wanted me to pay for one. I took it to another Infiniti dealer; hopefully they change it, otherwise I could just buy a filter on Amazon or eBay.

It looks like I will have to call Infiniti North America as they did not fix anything and said they wouldn't. A 10 year old could have troubleshooted as well as they did.

The thing with the low gas mileage is that I've seen people mention online that they get decent gas mileage with the 2007-2008 G35x, from 18 mpg and above, but I have never hit 20 mpg, even extended trips on the highway.

The car was the lowest mileage I could find in the state and it was for such a good price as well. Maybe now I'm figuring out why it was a good price! Haha
How are you measuring your MPG?

Did you pay for the certification? You should have a separate recipt for that, they make you sign it too. I dont know if the other dealer you will go to will do anything as they did not certify it. And Please dont be a mister nice guy and go oh well its only 20 bucks for a new filter ill just do it my self. NO make them fix everything, thats why you paid for it to be certified. Who knows what they never checked.

You can get the other dealer to maybe do a certification check(aka follow that list), but I wonder if they will charge you.

The G35x is known to get less mpg then the RWD model. I get anywhere from 18-22 mpg per tank depending on how much I drive in the city or highway. City driving will kill mpg.

Remember dealers are evil dont be nice to them, if the check list says it should be checked and fixed if there are problems then, get mad and go up to the higher powers.

It seems Infiniti tries to skimp on checking anything in hopes you wont find out.

It sucks that infiniti Dealers are like this, the cars are amazing. Infiniti needs to step up and straighten the dealers out.

When we mailed Infiniti of NA a letter, with in a week we had the head guy of the dealer that screwed us call and set up an appointment. Anything I asked they did. They even changed the battery out of my remote without asking. Any little question or issue I had, Taken care of. So it seems Infiniti of NA really gets on there ***.

Last edited by thescreensavers; 01-18-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
How are you measuring your MPG?

Did you pay for the certification? You should have a separate recipt for that, they make you sign it too. I dont know if the other dealer you will go to will do anything as they did not certify it. And Please dont be a mister nice guy and go oh well its only 20 bucks for a new filter ill just do it my self. NO make them fix everything, thats why you paid for it to be certified. Who knows what they never checked.

You can get the other dealer to maybe do a certification check(aka follow that list), but I wonder if they will charge you.

The G35x is known to get less mpg then the RWD model. I get anywhere from 18-22 mpg per tank depending on how much I drive in the city or highway. City driving will kill mpg.

Remember dealers are evil dont be nice to them, if the check list says it should be checked and fixed if there are problems then, get mad and go up to the higher powers.

It seems Infiniti tries to skimp on checking anything in hopes you wont find out.

It sucks that infiniti Dealers are like this, the cars are amazing. Infiniti needs to step up and straighten the dealers out.

When we mailed Infiniti of NA a letter, with in a week we had the head guy of the dealer that screwed us call and set up an appointment. Anything I asked they did. They even changed the battery out of my remote without asking. Any little question or issue I had, Taken care of. So it seems Infiniti of NA really gets on there ***.
I check the gas mileage via the display in the instrument cluster. Sometimes the main car display as well. I like the car overall so I can probably get over the low gas mileage. It's not that bad and I'm sure it will improve as time goes on and I adjust to the car and the car adjusts to me.
I guess the money I saved from not having to perform anymore outrageous Mercedes scheduled services has to go somewhere!
The price you pay to have a car you will enjoy everyday for as long as you own it!

I did not receive any certification papers nor a receipt for it, so I assume that one wasn't done although when I called today, they do say it passed the certification. They said they will give me the papers, but I told them that clearly a blind person must have performed the inspection.

I got them to clean out the leaves/ nest, whatever it was that was in the in-take, but I wonder to what extent since before they said the engine would have to be lifted to do a thorough cleaning.
I doubt that they checked anything though. I don't care as long as the issues get fixed. The other dealer has been better so far though.

I'm hoping that the gas mileage gets better, the second dealership said that there wasn't anything wrong as far as the gas mileage is concerned.

I also had the air filter replaced for free, which is a plus.

I actually called Infiniti NA and expressed all the issues and concerns to them. They said I should get a call back by tomorrow afternoon. I complained about the horrible service I received and how I was treated poorly. I hope "Ray" loses his job, as there are numerous reviews of the dealership that complain about him.

I had another issue regarding the car's paint and chrome, hopefully Infiniti NA forces them to fix all the issues.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:27 PM
Do people actually pay these dealership prices to do work? 500 for brakes that you can do for 250..1000 to clean out the leaves in the engine..WTF

What does infinitis service cost per hr? 70? More?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35x service issues..