G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

wtf...engine oil overfill - worried

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Sedan RWD
wtf...engine oil overfill - worried

Car at 60.4k (almost 5k since last oil change from maintenance history) - just bought it almost 2 months ago. This morning just did oil change, ATF and coolant drain & fill at a good reputation shop but first time for me.

I brought 5 quarts of Matic-S and 6 quarts of MObile 1, JUST in case needed for some reason.

Shop return 1 quart of Matic-S (expected) but used all 6 quarts of Mobile 1. I didn't think too much and left but came home and start worrying about overfill.

Engine cool, check dip stick, oil at high end, dense oil stops where the dip stick bends which is about 1/3 of inch above "H".....should I be freaking out and get it drain out half quart or is it ok to drive?

I am very concerned...please advise

Old 03-19-2011, 09:57 PM
Received 297 Likes on 242 Posts
Your ok

Old 03-19-2011, 10:10 PM
G35 Sedan RWD
1 quart overfill is ok and safe to drive?

Before I was told...do NOT ever overfill engine oil to avoid damaging engine

Can't believe these car shops...i left extra quart for "just in case" but not for heck of it. I'm pissed.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:13 PM
Received 297 Likes on 242 Posts
Are you burning oil? I add a half qt every 1500 k

Old 03-19-2011, 10:14 PM
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts
^^^ Hmmmm... I'm not so sure. Overfilling by a quart in some cars (not sure about ours tho) can cause the oil to foam by the rapidly spinning crankshaft. This froth can't be easily pumped by the oil pump, so you essentially can starve your engine of lubricant-- imagine the potential side effects. It's like sucking the froth from a coke thru a straw, it's hard to get any real liquid.

Another problem is that the piston skirts and crankshaft can splash oil into your combustion chamber, below the piston rings. This may at times cause you to get blue smoke from your exhaust.

It's likely nothing, as *****-ah-sore said, but I'm neurotic enough (and not a car expert per se) that I'd worry about it. By the way, keep your receipts, just in case something develops down the line.

One piece of unsolicited advice, get to know the shop foreman or service manager well, and ask for their off the record recommendation for the best mechanic(s) and insist, gently, that they be the ones to work on your car. I've done this and the ASE certified tech has, over the years, insisted that he'll be the only one touching my car. The service manager is cool with this b/c I befriended him also. The good part of this is that they don't treat me like a dumb blonde.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Last edited by Infiniti Chica; 03-19-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:20 PM
G35 Sedan RWD
Not sure if this engine eats abnormal amount of oil as I just got it and it is my first oil change on this car.

If it is ok to drive, I won't go back to the shop to drain it out. I hope I'm not putting it in danger.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:25 PM
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts
If you're really not sure how to proceed, drain some of the oil yourself when the engine is cold. I have a Fumoto valve, makes the job easy and very clean.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:59 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would drain some of it out.... can't be good on the oil pressure with 6 quarts. I don't get how a mechanic would screw this up..wtf

Old 03-21-2011, 07:22 AM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Infiniti Chica
^^^ Hmmmm... I'm not so sure. Overfilling by a quart in some cars (not sure about ours tho) can cause the oil to foam by the rapidly spinning crankshaft. This froth can't be easily pumped by the oil pump, so you essentially can starve your engine of lubricant-- imagine the potential side effects. It's like sucking the froth from a coke thru a straw, it's hard to get any real liquid.

Another problem is that the piston skirts and crankshaft can splash oil into your combustion chamber, below the piston rings. This may at times cause you to get blue smoke from your exhaust.

It's likely nothing, as *****-ah-sore said, but I'm neurotic enough (and not a car expert per se) that I'd worry about it. By the way, keep your receipts, just in case something develops down the line.

One piece of unsolicited advice, get to know the shop foreman or service manager well, and ask for their off the record recommendation for the best mechanic(s) and insist, gently, that they be the ones to work on your car. I've done this and the ASE certified tech has, over the years, insisted that he'll be the only one touching my car. The service manager is cool with this b/c I befriended him also. The good part of this is that they don't treat me like a dumb blonde.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

i love a woman that does her research!!!

Old 03-21-2011, 07:55 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^

infinitichica are you single? you have your pick with any guy on this site

Old 03-21-2011, 09:50 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
hmmm good to know drain some out

Old 03-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
btw, what is the stock oil tank capacity? i've seen a few numbers out there... mostly 5qts. give or take.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:30 PM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
How long did you let your car sit before you check the oil? Did you do a cold check?

Old 03-21-2011, 01:40 PM
G35 Sedan RWD
Ca sits for 15mins then check, it was almost 1 inch over H.

I decided to get a siphon pump at Pepboys for $12. Could not pump out oil from where u pour oil so I pumped from dipstick, I took out about 1/2 quart. With engine cold, now it sits on H. I assume now it should be safe to drive, right?

Old 03-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7G35S
btw, what is the stock oil tank capacity? i've seen a few numbers out there... mostly 5qts. give or take.
5Qts w/filter change

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: wtf...engine oil overfill - worried