G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

What lubricant is used on a compressor in the G?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 10:01 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
What lubricant is used on a compressor in the G?

I ask this question, because for the 2nd time, i need a new compressor. It first started as a loud jet engine sound, and i ended up getting a replacement last october. I had threads about this issue, and others frequently mentioned that the G has a loud compressor. This time, the compressor is still loud, BUT after i shut the AC off I can hear metallic clinking as the fan slows down to a stop.

I thought about this issue, and besides the fact that its really annoying having to replace it under warrenty less than a year later, I am trying to figure out WTF is causing this to happen... i really would hate to have this happen again when my CPO warranty runs out. I think the stupid dealer just replaces the unit each time it happes, but they dont really try to figure out whats causing it.

so that brings me to here... are infiniti/nissan compressors pure crap? my old maxima didnt have this issue at all after 10 years... or is there some other component in the car that can be doing this?

I was reading online about compressors, and i found this website:

http://www.ackits.com/c/BlackDeath/A...ck+Death).html

it mentions that a lubricant has to be flushed after a compressor change, but i dont know what fluid this is referring to.... What exactly is the fluid that lube's the compressor? is it the green engine coolant or something that is NOT serviceable? I dont know if the dealer is smart enough to replace this fluid, so i figured i'd do some research before i go so i can ask them to replace the fluid as well...

thanks for the help guys.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If they are replacing the compressor, first the need to vacuum all the refrigerant out of the system to prevent it from being released into the atmosphere. They usually use R-134a now so it is not as bad as R-12 was, however they still vacuum it out of your system and recycle it. After installing a new compressor they would then put the system under a vacuum and make sure it hold that vacuum for an hour, to make sure there are no leaks. Then they would refill the coolant, which I think is R-134a or something similar. I would imagine there is some sort of lubricant that is miscible in the coolant that is premixed with the coolant, but I would guess they are supposed to add more to the system as well. This is something I found for AC Delco AC (what you find GM cars), the service on Infiniti cars is probably very similar, you can also try downloading the service manual for the G and see if there are specific instruction in there.

http://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/pd...sb_05D-038.pdf

Old 06-08-2011, 11:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think this just happened to me, last summer my car would sound like a jet when i shut it off. Now my a/c doesnt work. It holds a charge but doesnt blow cold air. Now i have to take it to the dealer hopefully my powertrain warranty will cover it. let me know how it goes for you

Old 06-09-2011, 12:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just flicked thru the infiniti manual really quickly, as you got me thinking about my AC and how it sounds really loud when i first start the car and then whines when i shut it off. There is a section on the AC with all the details called HA, it is a PDF. All the lubricant info is on page 30, I think i found the entire manual on infiniti help, if you cant find it, you can PM me your email and I'll send it to you. The one if found is for the 08 sedan, same difference...

Old 06-09-2011, 02:51 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^ good info vdoh.... no issues here after over 4yrs of ownership and 56k+ miles

Old 06-09-2011, 07:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you guys say it sounds like a jet when you turn the car off, how loud is it? I have a faint whine when the car shuts off. It sounds like the old school Batmobile.

Mines not that loud though. How loud are you guys experiencing this?

J

Old 06-09-2011, 08:19 AM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
a/c 46 pag oil

Old 06-09-2011, 10:19 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Also check whether it sounds the same when you switch from fresh air to recirculate. I though that there was something wrong with the compressor (airplane jet engine sound)when pulling fresh air, but it turned out that I installed the in-cabin filter upside down...

Old 06-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I like the thought you have RedBaronK, try to figure out what the issue with the compressor is and see if we can figure out a DIY.

I had mine replaced as well, however now it is loud again. I might go in again but my warranty is just about up. Its annoying and sounds low quality when you're idle.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:20 AM
It has a loud clanking sound .... as the fan spins down. Imagine taking a metal cup and hitting it against bars in a prison cell lol... its definitely not a normal sound cause it sounds like a busted ball bearing or something else mechanical. A lil sound is normal, but this is just downright defective

Old 06-11-2011, 01:34 AM
Guess who's getting a 3rd compressor in 3 years
.. me. Fml. I hate Infiniti.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:48 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Sounds like what my compressor sounded like when i got the car a few years back. The whole system was replaced under warranty, i believe there was a TSB for it. Sorry, it's been a while and i don't clearly remember that part.