G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

More transmission concerns....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 10:16 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
More transmission concerns....

I have very little experience with 6mt G35s so i have 0 clue what is normal for it. All I know is, the two 04 G35 sedan 6mts that me and a friend test drove today did not make the same noises as my car.

1. The flywheel chatters so badly. I have no idea if its normal or not... just whines. You can even hear it when driving around neighborhoods at low speeds.

2. Some times if I am idling around in a parking lot, and am on or off the clutch and say, pull over to look at a car or something, then put it in N and pull the E brake, the car makes so much fricken noise that my friend commented and said it sounds like the car is knocking. Push the clutch it and it goes away. Same thing happens after I have to ride the clutch a bit to get into and up my driveway slowly. Sounds like a diesel when I let it sit there in neutral.

3. When I stop to park the car and leave it in neutral then turn it off, no noise, if it is in 1 or 2, the car will some times grind as its turning off. Sounds terrible.

4. My gear box gets notchy as hell occasionally and some times grinds. Like today, I sped up to 4500-5k then shifted to 2nd and it just made such an aweful sound, grinded like ****, then allowed me to slip it into 2nd, and after tha,t each gear change was really notchy, and almost heavy.

Neither of the 04s we drove today did this, so im not sure. A local guy just traded in his 07 M45 for a 2011 G37 6mt sedan today and I want to try and get together with him to see if his car makes all these drivetrain noises.

I made a video of the car once when it sounded like a diesel (and posted on here) but never got it uploaded. I'm gonna try and get it uploaded today and post it up to see if its normal. The problem is, every time I am at the dealer and want to ahve them look at it, it wont do it!

I don't really know what to do anymore. I'v got warranty until 2014 on my powertrain, so I am not at all really concerned, i am just so OCD i want to know why my car does it with only 34k!

Gonna go get my little adapter to upload vids from my phone now and get it on youtube.

EDIT: VID
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fZ0p...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Wannabe6MT; 06-25-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:28 PM
-MN G Crew-

Updated OP with vid.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:32 PM
Received 291 Likes on 218 Posts
That sounds louder than a normal fly wheel chatter and almost like aftermarket. I would have the dealer diagnose it under warranty and try to have the tech ride along with you and listen to the noises and have him drive it and try to replicate the notchy shifts and grinding. Sounds like Flywheel chatter or throw out bearing and synchro for grinding.

They can realign the shifter plate which helps if someone has messed with it. I would swap out clutch fluid and tranny fluid to see if it cures anything at all. Both are extremely easy to do on the G35 and an easy diagnosis to rule out fluids.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:36 PM
-MN G Crew-

It only does it though, after riding the clutch after driving a bit. I mean, it whines like god knows other when it first starts up and its cold, but it isn't like a knocking, clattering diesel sound like this. And I can't get the car to ever replicate it once im at the dealer.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
Time to go to the dealer and demand to fix it, i am getting a little worried with these problems you're getting since i want to get the same car and if this is a big problem it will make me not wanna get it, but i think the noise is normal at Idle since my friend had the same with his car.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:42 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
my 04 coupe sounds like that i believe its the clutch throw out bearings..mine isnt as loud tho but it does sound like that

Old 06-25-2011, 10:49 PM
-MN G Crew-

Originally Posted by 04G35NYC
Time to go to the dealer and demand to fix it, i am getting a little worried with these problems you're getting since i want to get the same car and if this is a big problem it will make me not wanna get it, but i think the noise is normal at Idle since my friend had the same with his car.
Its not the car is unreliable and has a lot of problems, it is just that I am picky and want everything to be perfect lol.

And I am sick of bothering my dealer. I think its about time I go and bother the other dealer... they have a nicer waiting room anyways haha.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:54 PM
Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
doesn't sound normal..take it to dealer over and over again until they fix it

My new engine in my car sounds like a diesel as well for the first 15 min..injectors are very loud

Old 06-25-2011, 10:56 PM
Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
thats why autos are FTMFW
lol JK, hope you get the problem sorted out

Old 06-25-2011, 10:57 PM
Hold The Line

Received 622 Likes on 406 Posts
Not normal. Get it in under warranty

Old 06-25-2011, 10:59 PM
Received 291 Likes on 218 Posts
Originally Posted by O HELLA OEM
thats why autos are FTMFW
I know man and good thing for him he is only a WANNABE 6mt

Old 06-25-2011, 11:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i don't think the dealer will fix it if it has anything to do with clutch or flywheel because its a ware and tear item..unless the warranty has changed since 04 after having my car for a month and a half i needed and new clutch and flywheel (clutch was beat up from previous owner not me) and they said they couldn't do anything about it

Old 06-25-2011, 11:14 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
My 07 softly rattles a bit when idling in neutral with clutch released, but nowhere near that noisy. I agree it sounds much more like a 6MT tranny with one of the aftermarket clutch/fly combos. (We need the dual-mass fly to dampen the inherent tranny shaft noise) I don't see how it could be throwout bearing, because it's totally present when the clutch is fully released, not when it's depressed. Are you still on the original tranny oil or has it been replaced? If so, with what oil and are you sure it's totally topped off? Some DIYer's will fill tranny while car is lifted irregularly (tranny not level) and therefore get a bum indication on when it's full. Also, if you are noticing more issues after riding the clutch, it could be that the disk gets hot, transfers a little bit of material making it "sticky", and then still grabs a tiny bit even when fully depressed. I agree though about getting the dealer on it if it is all stock.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:54 PM
-MN G Crew-

Originally Posted by jwolfpk
i don't think the dealer will fix it if it has anything to do with clutch or flywheel because its a ware and tear item..unless the warranty has changed since 04 after having my car for a month and a half i needed and new clutch and flywheel (clutch was beat up from previous owner not me) and they said they couldn't do anything about it
I bought the car 4k miles ago (im at 34k now) and it is CPO so i'd assume that they would do something about it. It shouldn't wear out at 34k.
Originally Posted by vqsmile
My 07 softly rattles a bit when idling in neutral with clutch released, but nowhere near that noisy. I agree it sounds much more like a 6MT tranny with one of the aftermarket clutch/fly combos. (We need the dual-mass fly to dampen the inherent tranny shaft noise) I don't see how it could be throwout bearing, because it's totally present when the clutch is fully released, not when it's depressed. Are you still on the original tranny oil or has it been replaced? If so, with what oil and are you sure it's totally topped off? Some DIYer's will fill tranny while car is lifted irregularly (tranny not level) and therefore get a bum indication on when it's full. Also, if you are noticing more issues after riding the clutch, it could be that the disk gets hot, transfers a little bit of material making it "sticky", and then still grabs a tiny bit even when fully depressed. I agree though about getting the dealer on it if it is all stock.
I'm gonna take it to my other local dealer and see what they say. I'v got this vid on my phone so i can show it to them. See what they say.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:44 AM
Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Dealers by me just brush you off..oh thats normal..or we had the car for 2 days and never herd it..same story

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: More transmission concerns....