Price Check: 2007 G35 Journey Fully Loaded 35K miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by vqsmile
Did you catch this thread?

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...-got-fuct.html

... and there's MANY more like it on every car forum I've ever been on.

Ironically, I seem to find the most exploitation of the credibility of Carfax et al. occurring at those very same little used car lots. I have stood there and pointed out the obvious body work on a car for sale while the lot manager insists that it's never been in an accident because the "carfax is clean". Lots like that seem to be more than happy to pick up a discounted car with a obvious checkered past as long as it's got a clean carfax.

To each his own I guess, but I tell you, I much prefer looking an owner in the eye and asking about any history of body or paint work as opposed to asking a middleman who can claim ignorance and point to a piece of paper.
Oh yeah...didn't connect that with you. I would think your experience is especially unusual and unlikely because you even bought from an Infiniti dealer.

When I was searching for the G I found many instances where Autocheck found previous accidents that were not on Carfax. That's why I always check both.

If I had your experience with that Infiniti dealer I would probably feel exactly like you do about car dealers...

Old 08-01-2011, 01:22 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Unfortunately it's quite common to dump a car right after getting it repaired so the time lag to Carfax & Autocheck can cause it to show up clean. Or someone getting the car repaired "under the table" w/ no report at all to the insurance companies.
Buying a used car is almost a 100% gamble no matter where or who you buy your car from. Sure you can minimize potential problems by getting it inspected, buying from the original owner, and going over the car yourself with a fine-tooth comb. There's just no way unless you're buying from a friend or family member that you would know the entire cars' history. I've bought used cars from private sellers, small lots, and factory dealers and have generally had good results. My worst luck came from a private seller that was the original owner, but I didn't do my homework on the inherent problems of that particular vehicle. I now research extensively on owners forums and review sites about any car I plan on considering, it's time well spent IMO. Having a factory warranty intact is also a HUGE plus. Those extended aftermarket warranties (not the ones offered by the factory or original dealer) are basically worthless as almost any claim can & will be denied since they have pages of fine print. The best "exclusion" is the catchall "any damage caused by overheating". How the hell could you prove that the car wasn't overheating at the time, lol.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts
that's a little on the high side.. if it was CPO from infiniti that would be good. I only paid 600 more 4 months ago for a 08 Sport edition, 6mt with nav and premium packages, although with 6k more miles. If you are going auto, non sport, you should be able to find those anywhere for less. Personally i'd look for an 08 as it will still likely have warranty left.

Oh yeah like the others said, don't trust car fax or autocheck (do run autocheck though, dont even pay for a carfax unless its free), pay a real mechanic or worst case the local infiniti dealer to inspect it. It's money well spent - the dealer I took mine to said 80% of the cars people bring to them for inspection have some kind of major issue - esp if you are out of warranty. There is too many gotchas with those computer checks for them to get out of any responsibility if you get screwed, it's happened to a friend of mine.

Last edited by rvanderwerf; 08-01-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can get an 08 with some warranty left for that much. I prefer to have at least 6 months bumper to bumper.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:16 PM
I just purchased an 07 with less miles and less options, for more.

Mine has had a front bumper repainted, and shows nothing on car fax.
Ive had a car before with the whole right side repaired, clean carfax. I dont trust a car fax for crap. Not worth the paper its printed on IMO.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by Dale07
I just purchased an 07 with less miles and less options, for more.

Mine has had a front bumper repainted, and shows nothing on car fax.
Ive had a car before with the whole right side repaired, clean carfax. I dont trust a car fax for crap. Not worth the paper its printed on IMO.
i second this..

i bought my infiniti CPO from Bommarito Infiniti near St Louis, MO and i got fvcked, too.

Apparently, the entire passengers side of my car had been almost completely rebuilt as a sh$tty shop where they used bad paint. Needless to say, a few months after owning the car, the paint started peeling off. Infiniti and the dealership claimed no liability at all.. I had to spend about 2k to have it repainted and some rust that was under the old paint removed.

I'm probably going to have a bodyshop inspect my vehicle next time if i choose to buy a used one.