G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Front Bumper looks like crap, need opinions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 08:54 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Front Bumper looks like crap, need opinions.

I purchased my 07 G from TX and the front bumper looks like crap. No damage just stone / Sand ships all over it. I already did the Front grill paint mod as that was peppered also. The rest of the car is darn near perfect except for about 3 small chips in the hood.

Has anybody else expereinced this and what did you do?

1.) Re-paint bumper Cost=??
2.) Bra Cost=$100 to $200
3.) Live with it
4.) 3m type adhesive cover( would love to find an opaque silver one).

Anything I missed? Is there a painted adhesive "bug shield? How much would it cost to get a decent paint job on my bumper?

Old 08-15-2011, 09:39 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I would guess at least 300 dollars to paint it--had a bumper painted on my old car just last year and that's what it cost me. If you paint it I would advise paint protectant film. I had mine done right after I got it and it has performed very well. I have a few little gouges in it but over all it has really protected my bumper, especially considering I've driven it 24k miles in the last year.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the reply If I do get my front bumper repainted, I would definately put one of theose 3m style "bug" film things over it. I would rather find one that is not clear and colored silver. That would save me a fortune over painting it. I have had "bras" on my car in the past, but I don't know if I like it on the G series. I need to find some pics of them on a g first.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:49 AM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
I don't think it's worth it to be that detail oriented about the bumper. In reality, only person who notices it is you. As long as the hood, fenders, and the rest of the car looks good, that's all that matters. If you do a repaint, the same thing is going to happen. Repain and clear bra? I don't know if it's just me but I can see the bra lines and over time I can see the ding marks in the film. Being from Ohio, you know the road salt, debris, gravel, etc. take a toll on the car. From your pictures, I wouldn't call that bad.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:28 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
try going to a reputable detailer first and have them clay bar, buff, wax, and polish it before you do anything....

Old 08-16-2011, 01:05 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
If your car is a driven daily especially on the fwy, the wear and tear on your bumper is inevitable. My front bumper and lip is pretty chewed up also, but in the end.. life goes on

Repaint + clear bra would be my choice of solution to this problem.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:26 PM
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
mine looks worse than urs but u cant tell at all unless ur looking for it! i just live with it!

Old 08-16-2011, 08:30 PM
All the damaged happened in OK, and TX. My Boxtser never had a scratch on the bumper after two years of driving. Of course I didn't drive that in the winter. The car is so beautiful and then you get to the bumper and its like OMG. I have a clay bar and already tried that. I also have tried minor buffing with my Porter cable and some minor cutting paste.

I still want to see what they look like with bras.

thanks for the help guys/gals. I will keep searching.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:41 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
My bumper is worse than yours too and since it's on a darker color car it stands out quite a bit. It was driven through 3 winters (previous owner) and in MN they throw down a ton of sand on the highways. I'm going to get it repainted and skip the clear bra since she gets stored in the winters now. I'm hoping to pay no more than $400

Old 08-17-2011, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by TomPeters
My bumper is worse than yours too and since it's on a darker color car it stands out quite a bit. It was driven through 3 winters (previous owner) and in MN they throw down a ton of sand on the highways. I'm going to get it repainted and skip the clear bra since she gets stored in the winters now. I'm hoping to pay no more than $400
I am going to price it today. I did some research and the front bumper looks pretty easy to remove. I am going to ask how much If I bring it in by itself. I will keep you posted. Hell, I would settel for Macko or earl shides(home of the $99.99 paint job), as it would look better than it is now.

Re the clear bra. I haven't priced them yet, but I have seen them on cars and they do protect it. Kind of like the protective screen overlay on your cell phone. If I do spend the cash to paint it, I might as well protect it

Old 08-26-2011, 03:29 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Got my bumper painted for $275 which was a pretty good deal considering the shape it was in. It looked like my bumper was sandblasted and also had a small scuff from the previous owner. Also had the license plate holes filled in and will be putting on the Skene bracket tonight. Now she looks brand new again!!!!

Last edited by TomPeters; 08-26-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:48 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Mine definitley looks worse. Car came from Florida and the PO did NOT clean off some love bugs and they ate right through it. Car looks as if it was cheese graded.

Example:

I may repaint it next summer after FL.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
I'm thinking of putting gloss black vinyl wrap on my bumper, hood & mirrors if the vinyl matches the Obsidian Black paint. It would probably only cost about $100 in vinyl and I could always just peel it off if I F'up any of it. It will also be much less prone to damage since it's somewhat flexible.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:52 PM
Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
My G came with the clear bra that goes over half hood/front bumper as well as mirrors..doesn't look glossy when clean or even clear but i am leaving it..it's about $300 to put it on and it came with it

Old 08-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go get a claybar kit at the local auto parts store and give that a shot on your bumper... obviously it won't help the chips but it does wonders on removing particles and grime that is stuck in/on the clear coat. Also gets bug guts off extremely well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front Bumper looks like crap, need opinions.