G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Where were the ABS brakes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 04:26 PM
Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Where were the ABS brakes?

So i almost got into a good accident today....idiot in front of me came to a complete halt in an intersection for no reason...really thought i was going right into him. Slammed on brakes but i noticed that when i did..my tires were screeching. Now i may just be stupid but with ABS..the brakes shouldn't be screeching like they would be if they locked up right? It sounded like my brakes locked up at the last second when i have ABS..what gives?

Old 08-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
They shouldn't... kind of. It is possible that it was already in ABS and the tires were screeching at each pulse. ABS will kick in even more when it detects steering movement.

FWIW, the type of brake fluid you have will also determine how good ABS will work. Lower viscosity fluids are well-suited to it.

p.s. I'm glad you escaped the accident!

Old 08-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
your tires are going to screech if you slam your brakes on, was it a solid screech or a pulsating screech? ABS works by pulsating the brakes so you can steer around the obsticle youre about to hit. it doesnt make you stop any quicker nessicarily.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by Austin713
your tires are going to screech if you slam your brakes on, was it a solid screech or a pulsating screech? ABS works by pulsating the brakes so you can steer around the obsticle youre about to hit. it doesnt make you stop any quicker nessicarily.
It was a soild screech..thats why i was like wtf

And yeah ABS actually takes longer to stop than brakes locking up..but it's controlled

Old 08-29-2011, 05:33 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Anton_Chigurh
So i almost got into a good accident today....idiot in front of me came to a complete halt in an intersection for no reason...really thought i was going right into him. Slammed on brakes but i noticed that when i did..my tires were screeching. Now i may just be stupid but with ABS..the brakes shouldn't be screeching like they would be if they locked up right? It sounded like my brakes locked up at the last second when i have ABS..what gives?
LMAO no accident is a good accident.....

Old 08-29-2011, 05:40 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts

ABS actually takes longer to stop than brakes locking up..but it's controlled
That is incorrect.

If you lock up your brakes, ABS or not, you will take longer to stop than either ABS (pulsing between milliseconds of lock and then release) or by simply applying them manually to the very threshold of locking.

AS far as your ABS's operation, I'd take it out and test it in a safe, controlled area and verify its proper operation.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
That is incorrect.

If you lock up your brakes, ABS or not, you will take longer to stop than either ABS (pulsing between milliseconds of lock and then release) or by simply applying them manually to the very threshold of locking.

"On very soft surfaces, such as loose gravel or unpacked snow, an ABS system may actually lengthen stopping distances"

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/e...absbrakes.html

So i guess it depends on what surface it is

Old 08-29-2011, 06:18 PM
uhmm . . . you do realize you're quoting the exception, not the rule, right?

(and hopefully, you noticed that even there, it said "may". More often than not, you'd still be better off even in those conditions. I think what they're getting at is, in those rare circumstances, if your car isn't allowed to lock the tires and scratch/break through the gravel or snow to a more solid surface underneath where it will have better traction (even in a lock) than the continual lock and release of ABS will allow from 'on top' of the soft surface.

More to the point though, were YOU in gravel or snow when you had to slam on your brakes?

Old 08-29-2011, 06:39 PM

More to the point though, were YOU in gravel or snow when you had to slam on your brakes?
I was in 6 ft of snow

Old 08-29-2011, 06:48 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
That is incorrect.

AS far as your ABS's operation, I'd take it out and test it in a safe, controlled area and verify its proper operation.
i thought on a dry, clean, straight stop, a non-abs brake work better..

i believe car and driver did this test once..

Old 08-29-2011, 09:34 PM
I was in 6 ft of snow
mm hmm

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
i thought on a dry, clean, straight stop, a non-abs brake work better..

i believe car and driver did this test once..
Most definitely, when properly applied, non-ABS will stop shorter than the same set of brakes using ABS. If you've done any HPDE or racing type courses, they almost always teach threshold braking as a basic preliminary exercise before any fun stuff. Sometimes, they will even use the same car for back-to-back comparison; once with ABS enabled, and then again with it disabled.

Of course, anyone who grew up and learned their spirited driving skills waaaaaaay back before ABS was invented ( ) will probably know this just from experience.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:10 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's a fact that the maximum static coefficient of friction (tires gripping due to ABS) is higher than the kinetic coefficient of friction (tires sliding) for all materials. If you have a poor implementation of ABS that doesn't bring your friction to the limit then it's possible your may not be reaching the maximum static coef. and would be better off without it... but a good ABS will almost always work better to a first approximation. There are much more minor second-order effects such as the dynamic effect of the changing pulsing forces that cause troulbe on ice and gravel as mentioned though.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by Kamikazejs
It's a fact that the maximum static coefficient of friction (tires gripping due to ABS OR by manual application to their threshold) is higher than the kinetic coefficient of friction (tires sliding) for all materials. If you have a poor implementation of ABS that doesn't bring your friction to the limit then it's possible your may not be reaching the maximum static coef. and would be better off without it... but a good ABS will almost always work better to a first approximation. There are much more minor second-order effects such as the dynamic effect of the changing pulsing forces that cause trouble on ice and gravel as mentioned though.
Pardon my editing liberties.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:44 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Where you over (I think) 15mph? There is a minimum speed for ABS

hit 20-25mph and slam on your brakes you should get ABS to engage.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:22 AM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
The question is, should the tires screech when the ABS brakes are slammed.

Yes, rubber on pavement can and will scream, even if the ABS is engaging.
If you are questioning whether or not they are functioning, then the question of "did the brake pedal pulse under your foot" comes in. It should feel (and sound) like the brake pedal is ratcheting under your foot.

Most often, if there's something wrong with the system, your ABS light would be on.
I figure, if you didn't hit the guy, they're working.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Where were the ABS brakes?