G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Engine oil pressure warning light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine oil pressure warning light

2007 G35x - 55k miles
I got a synthetic oil change about a month ago, and put about 1000 miles on the car since. In the past 2 days, the engine oil warning light has been flickering when i am on the brake standing still at idle. It only comes on when i am completely stopped, and comes on for the duration that i am applying the brake. Once I release the brake, it shuts off. It also only happens once in a while, like once every time i drive the car,but sometimes not at all. The moment the light came on i pulled over and shut the car off. I waited and started the car again, the light was off. I took the car back to the local oil change shop and they inspected the car for a solid half hour trying to figure out what it can be, everything seems fine. Oil levels were OK and No engine knocking while driving etc... They told me it can be the oil pressure switch going bad. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, my warranty is up in a month (October) and i would want to get this taken care of. Will infiniti change the switch under warranty? Thanks guys

Old 09-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Mr.202?

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts
Pull the dipstick your self and see what the oil level is at, its not uncommon for the sensor to go bad

Old 09-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Yea i checked it myself and the oil level was fine, just wanted to make sure the place where i got my oil changed didnt leave anything loose, or put in the filter incorrectly. Thanks for the input about the sensor.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:37 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
EDIT: retracted

Last edited by vqsmile; 09-09-2011 at 11:01 AM. Reason: misinformation
Old 09-09-2011, 09:34 AM
I wasnt aware there were 2 different sensors, the warning light im getting is the dripping oil can. When i drove to work this morning it was coming on more and more frequently the longer i drove, VQSMILE you think its the low oil pressure sensor? Isnt the warning light the same for both low oil and low oil pressure? I read the manual and it didnt give any warning light for low oil, just low oil pressure. I'm making an appt with the dealer regardless, but would love to know the difference and if my problem is as serious as i think it is. Can you please clarify please, thanks.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by CHIZMONEY
I wasnt aware there were 2 different sensors, the warning light im getting is the dripping oil can. When i drove to work this morning it was coming on more and more frequently the longer i drove, VQSMILE you think its the low oil pressure sensor? Isnt the warning light the same for both low oil and low oil pressure? I read the manual and it didnt give any warning light for low oil, just low oil pressure. I'm making an appt with the dealer regardless, but would love to know the difference and if my problem is as serious as i think it is. Can you please clarify please, thanks.
Dang . . . I stand corrected. I just assumed it did since all my other cars do (even dating back to early 90's models ), but after further checking, you appear to be 100% correct. I looked at the manual also and found this:
"The engine oil pressure warning light is
not designed to indicate a low oil level.
Use the dipstick to check the oil level.
"

SO, given that, I'd be seriously concerned (as a you are too). The initial symptom you described, where the light would come on when braking, just sounded consistent with the oil shifting forward in the pan and altering the oil level detected by a (touchy/defective) sensor, but obviously that can't be so now. If the pressure sensor is indeed accurate, it sounds more like oil starvation at the pickup, which is NOT a good thing. Is there any possibility that your dipstick isn't seating properly and is giving a false oil level reading? Is the car running ok otherwise? Any roughness or overheating? Hopefully, it is just a faulty sensor, but it's curious why it would react so directly to braking!??!

Beyond that, I'm wondering about a failing oil pump, clogged pickup screen or oil drainback galleys, bearing issues, etc... but seriously, none of that should be happening at your low mileage so it's probably best not to get ahead of ourselves.

Please keep us informed of what the dealer says.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
take it to the dealer have it checked out before something bad happens

Old 09-09-2011, 01:20 PM
I called infinti to schedule an appointment and they told me that my warranty is expired, which according to the carfax is not true since the car was purchased in 10/07/2007. Regardless of whether my car is covered or not, do you think that my issue is covered under the 7 year powertrain warranty? I mean i need to get it checked out whether its covered or not, but i really dont want to get raped at the dealer with a fix without warranty.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:17 PM
I'm not the subject matter expert on this, but I would think that this should fall under the power train warranty; however the onus will be on you to prove that you maintained the car with regular oil changes with the right kind of oil, etc.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:57 PM
I took the car to the dealer and it turned out to be the oil pressure switch. I'm not covered under warranty anymore and i had to pay around $150, also got a new battery which they claim was given to me for free. Not a bad deal if you consider the dealer diagnostic fee is $125 plus tax, so i paid a few bucks more than that and got the switch/sensor and a battery. The light hasnt come on since they changed the switch. They said they performed a bunch of different diagnostic tests, such as an oil pressure test and ofcourse they drove the car for about half an hour to see if they could reproduce the warning light coming on, ofcourse the light didnt come on for them. Oh well, atleast i dont have to worry that my engine is going to crap out on me, and if it does, im still covered under powertrain.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by treacherous
I would have through that an oil pressure switch would have been covered by the powertrain warranty.
no its an engine sensor so it wouldnt be covered, powertrain is like trans or engines only which rarely goes out.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:49 PM

I took the car to the dealer and it turned out to be the oil pressure switch. ...

Originally Posted by caaraa

take it to the dealer have it checked out before something bad happens

Old 03-08-2014, 06:04 PM
My car just started doing exactly this... Have you ever figured out what it is??

Old 03-08-2014, 07:03 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
I took the car to the dealer and it turned out to be the oil pressure switch. I'm not covered under warranty anymore and i had to pay around $150, also got a new battery which they claim was given to me for free. Not a bad deal if you consider the dealer diagnostic fee is $125 plus tax, so i paid a few bucks more than that and got the switch/sensor and a battery. The light hasnt come on since they changed the switch. They said they performed a bunch of different diagnostic tests, such as an oil pressure test and ofcourse they drove the car for about half an hour to see if they could reproduce the warning light coming on, ofcourse the light didnt come on for them. Oh well, atleast i dont have to worry that my engine is going to crap out on me, and if it does, im still covered under powertrain.
Originally Posted by Deviator44
My car just started doing exactly this... Have you ever figured out what it is??
Did you miss that?

Old 03-09-2014, 10:43 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts