G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Torque OBD App & PLK Kiwi Mini-Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Torque OBD App & PLK Kiwi Mini-Review

For a while now i've wanted to try out a nice OBD scanner but never got around to pulling the trigger, until recently when i had the pleasure of getting hold of a PLK Kiwi OBD Bluetooth Scanner and the much reviewed Torque OBD App for Android-based phones.

A picture is worth a thousand words they say, so these should be worth quite a bit to y'all.

A small sampling of photos are below, and you can peruse them all with links to larger versions on gShack.

Here's the device which plugs into your OBD II port underneath the dash. It connects, or rather "pairs" with your Bluetooth enabled device such as an Android phone. It will also work with an iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad when coupled with their own respective OBD II application.

Admittedly, this is actually the third device i have tried using with my phone and Torque. The first two devices were the cheap eBay clones which are really a miss more than hit. They are cheap, but the signal keeps dropping off and has a hard time communicating with the OBD II port/vehicle ECU. I suggest staying away from them unless you're really lucky with the lottery.

You can refer to the Torque Wiki for further information on which devices are recommended. I eventually went with the Kiwi from Amazon for about $99.

The main screen where you can check for realtime information, fault codes (i.e. engine codes), a map view, other information and a new feature/extended app for the track junkies --- a track recorder with data overlay.

Yep, it can also do performance logging.

Obviously, i don't have an engine light so nothing shows up here. But it did work when i had an intake issue that triggered the light.

The next few screens with green highlights show some of the information the Torque app can read off of an Infiniti. If you know the PID's/parameters for other areas there is a section within the App for you to enter these so Torque can start reading it as well.

This is a sample of the track recorder in action, while stopped anyway. You'll see it's already looking at the tach behind with some relevant information overlay. (via phone camera)

Old 10-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That looks pretty cool and tempting, but I have way too many other things I want to buy right now.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
Nice, I have this App on my phone and a cheap ebay OBDII BT Connector. Worked Great on my acura, now I have to configure it for my recently Purchased 07 G35.

Where is the OBDII connector on our car? I haven't' had a chance to investigate

Old 10-10-2011, 07:57 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Very nice review as usual, i might actually be getting this setup soon as i have to get a new phone anyways as my contract is ending soon.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Looks like a pretty nifty gadget that would be fun to tinker with Mike.

Do you think it will work with my older cell phone model though?

. . . don't laugh, I actually used to have that phone!

Old 10-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by oo G35x oo
That looks pretty cool and tempting, but I have way too many other things I want to buy right now.
Here's a tip, if you don't need it, don't get it. I have to admit i got this mostly for the geek factor and those rare occasions i need to read the error codes.

Originally Posted by willdogs
Nice, I have this App on my phone and a cheap ebay OBDII BT Connector. Worked Great on my acura, now I have to configure it for my recently Purchased 07 G35.
Where is the OBDII connector on our car? I haven't' had a chance to investigate
Which connector did you get? Would be nice to know of more affordable options. The connector is underneath the dash, roughly under the row of buttons to the left of the steering wheel. You can feel for it by hand or just look underneath.

Originally Posted by kool_yaar
Very nice review as usual, i might actually be getting this setup soon as i have to get a new phone anyways as my contract is ending soon.
Thanks If you currently don't have a smartphone, get one! Another app i use frequently is Ulyssespeedometer. It even has an "HUD" feature which is really cool when driving at night.

Here's a rough shot of it, had to do this in the garage and cover my windshield to get the effect.

Originally Posted by vqsmile
Looks like a pretty nifty gadget that would be fun to tinker with Mike.![/COLOR]
I remember those phones . I'm sure there's a way to interface them.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My buddy hooked this up on my G. It read everything, but for some reason the 0-60 wouldn't log....and it had worked in his F-150.

We were going to run it pre- RC2 intake and post install to check intake temps, peak horsepower, and 0-60 times just for fun....but never got around to it.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:53 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
@soundmike: that HUD feature seems really cool and yes i really do need a smartphone since i have been sticking with my regular 4 year old phone for a little too long...

Old 10-12-2011, 07:59 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
@soundmike: that HUD feature seems really cool and yes i really do need a smartphone since i have been sticking with my regular 4 year old phone for a little too long...
Hmm . . . I could hook you up with a good used model.

The following users liked this post:
kool_yaar (10-13-2011)