G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Should i reset Ecu?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 11:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Should i reset Ecu?

Hi everyone. Just have a little problem and want to see what you all think. when i am driving and want to just let the car roll to the red light, as soon as i let go of the gas pedal to let it coast, i can feel the car immediatly feel heavier as if it downshifts. shouldnt it stay coasting without feeling as if its being stopped? it gets really annoying and thinking i should reset the ecu to maybe learn my driving habits?? what do you guys think? im just scared if the car will be totally different since i kinda got used to how it is now, but on the other hand, i might like the outcome of it resetting the ecu. Thanks for the help

Old 12-14-2011, 11:19 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
I don't see any reason to worry if you reset it; most likely it would eventually just "re-learn" to do it since it evolved to your driving habits anyway. Also, are you in D or DS when it does this? DS will always be more severe I expect. If it really bugs you, you could always shift into neutral as you slow to eliminate the engine braking. I used to do that when hypermiling (even though they'll tell you it's supposed to be soooooo dangerous ), but I gave it up since I figured whatever little bit I saved in gas would be lost in added braking costs.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:54 PM
Yea i usually leave it in D when i commute to work but i use DS when on the highway I actually do use neutral when i coast to avoid the engine braking but hate shifting back and forth. Also, when im at a stop while in N and i shift to D, there is a slight lagg and then a slight push as if it had trouble getting out of neutral, its not as smooth as other cars. So the easiest way to reset ecu is to just disconnect the negative terminal on the battery?

Old 12-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by goalomeri
Yea i usually leave it in D when i commute to work but i use DS when on the highway I actually do use neutral when i coast to avoid the engine braking but hate shifting back and forth. Also, when im at a stop while in N and i shift to D, there is a slight lagg and then a slight push as if it had trouble getting out of neutral, its not as smooth as other cars. So the easiest way to reset ecu is to just disconnect the negative terminal on the battery?
Is your foot on the brake when you make the shift to D? That could make a difference, as could being cold. The slight delay you mention is normal to a certain extent; just the hydraulics taking up again. As far as resetting, yes you can pull the neg batt cable, but some prefer the pedal method since they don't lose all their radio/window/seat presets.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vqsmile
Is your foot on the brake when you make the shift to D? That could make a difference, as could being cold. The slight delay you mention is normal to a certain extent; just the hydraulics taking up again. As far as resetting, yes you can pull the neg batt cable, but some prefer the pedal method since they don't lose all their radio/window/seat presets.
What is the pedal method in this car? Only had mine for about 3 months and would like to try the reset for my trans to start from scratch

Old 12-15-2011, 11:42 AM
You can easily find it with a bit of searching. Here's one that popped up for me:

https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-eng...oon-light.html

Old 12-15-2011, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
You can easily find it with a bit of searching. Here's one that popped up for me:

https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-eng...oon-light.html
Thanks! That is a rediculously long and detailed process, dang.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by funkydrummer
Thanks! That is a rediculously long and detailed process, dang.
It's really not supposed to be that bad; you just need to be very precise in your timing. A stop watch isn't overkill for the task.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:28 PM
Actually tried it and got it right the 5th time, just got to memorize what you have to do because it will be hard looking at the instructions and the watch and the dash at the same time. I felt a big difference right away, it shifts smoother and doesnt jerk when i shift from N to D even without me stepping on brake. Also, is service engine soon supposed to blink while your driving it after the reset? it blinked like 3 random times but stopped now. also noticed MPG's readout changes more rapidly and already notice i might be getting better mileage, but cant confirm that until i drive it more. thanks everyone.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:59 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I tried this once today and was a little alarmed to depress the gas pedal for 10 seconds x 2. Could this possibly cause any damage for the engine to be under such high rpms for such a long duration.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:06 AM
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
are you serious? LOL the car is not supposed to be running. the switch is supposed to be on the ON position not the START. hahahahhahhaha this is going in my sig

Old 12-16-2011, 01:23 AM
Originally Posted by G3065
I tried this once today and was a little alarmed to depress the gas pedal for 10 seconds x 2. Could this possibly cause any damage for the engine to be under such high rpms for such a long duration.
*** slaps forehead ***

Please tell us you're joking?

...But, if you actually did this with the motor running, what was it like? How fast did you get going anyway? I don't think you'd cause any damage to your engine; the car has a rev limiter/fuel cutout and can stand very high revs, usually more than your senses can anyway.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:40 AM
lmao this just made my day, just hilarious! Just make sure you fill up the tank for next time lol. he has got to be joking, funny though and maybe he didnt fully understand the instructions

Old 12-16-2011, 10:34 AM
Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts
lol +1

Old 12-16-2011, 11:09 AM
rofl

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should i reset Ecu?