G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Hard shifting with automatic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard shifting with automatic

I purchased a used automatic 2007 g35x about 3 months ago and have noticed that when using the car first thing in the morning it doesn't seem to shift easily from park.

I am only noticing it now, and a good mechanic gave it the all clear before I got it.

I used to have a Toyota Avalon with a very smooth shifter, is this just one of those quirks with these cars?

Old 05-30-2012, 08:48 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
It's normal, took me a while getting used to it after coming to the G from my Acura. After the car fully warms up and the warm fluid gets through the tranny, it's shifts super smooth. No worries!

Old 05-30-2012, 08:48 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by aeroheli
I purchased a used automatic 2007 g35x about 3 months ago and have noticed that when using the car first thing in the morning it doesn't seem to shift easily from park.

I am only noticing it now, and a good mechanic gave it the all clear before I got it.

I used to have a Toyota Avalon with a very smooth shifter, is this just one of those quirks with these cars?
If you don't let the car warm up in the morning, the shifts will be a bit stiff until it gets to its optimal operating temperature. And is bad for the engine to just start it up and drive off in the morning.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EbbAndBlow
If you don't let the car warm up in the morning, the shifts will be a bit stiff until it gets to its optimal operating temperature. And is bad for the engine to just start it up and drive off in the morning.
I do let it run for about a minute, though I admit its not at operating temperature. Should I let it run until it reaches that point?

I have heard that since the fuel injector adds additional fuel to the fuel / air mixture to help warm up the car faster it causes more carbon buildup in the engine and leads to more contaminates in the oil. By starting and driving sooner, your engine is up to operating temperature much faster and this rich fuel air mixture cycle is much shorter.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:31 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
When I had an 07x I would do this...

- start car and wait 15-30 seconds. The rpm's never went below 2000 yet.
- press and hold the shift release button
- pull the shifter slowly, about 1/2" toward drive, pause for a second or two and you should notice the rpm's drop quickly
- continue to pull the shifter into R or D.

It always worked for me at getting the rpm's down without having to wait more than 30sec for a warm-up. There is something in the programming that tells the car to drop the cold idle when you are shifting into R or D. You just have to give it a couple seconds to realize it and it will drop the idle before you put in gear.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:40 AM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
I can't say I know all of the ins and outs of letting the engine warm up. But for my cars I always let them warm up for a few minutes until I see my temp gauge go up to about where it would sit during operation. Only times I experienced a rough shift is if I ever had a hair up my butt and turned the car on and bolted after 15 seconds or so. I never heard about the carbon build up though, so maybe someone can commentate more on that.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:46 AM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
Cold transmission - perfectly normal. Also, take it easy when you start to drive - it takes a while for AT fluid to warm up.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:10 AM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
When I had an 07x I would do this...

- start car and wait 15-30 seconds. The rpm's never went below 2000 yet.
- press and hold the shift release button
- pull the shifter slowly, about 1/2" toward drive, pause for a second or two and you should notice the rpm's drop quickly
- continue to pull the shifter into R or D.

It always worked for me at getting the rpm's down without having to wait more than 30sec for a warm-up. There is something in the programming that tells the car to drop the cold idle when you are shifting into R or D. You just have to give it a couple seconds to realize it and it will drop the idle before you put in gear.
Don't even need to shift it to make it go down. Simply putting your foot on the brake pedal will cause the rpms to lower. It's like you're telling the computer that you wanna drive NOW lol.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:48 AM
Originally Posted by muyrec
Don't even need to shift it to make it go down. Simply putting your foot on the brake pedal will cause the rpms to lower. It's like you're telling the computer that you wanna drive NOW lol.
That was never the case for me in 4 years.
If simply pressing the brake pedal dropped the idle to <1000rpm then there should be no one with this 'hard shifting' issue.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm that is weird for some of you guys, never once has my car had an idle of over 1k, every time I start my car it sits at 800.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Matic
Hmmm that is weird for some of you guys, never once has my car had an idle of over 1k, every time I start my car it sits at 800.
You may want to get it checked out if that's the case.
Even if you live in a warm climate it should be ~1500-2000rpm for a few seconds before dropping to ~800rpm.
I live where it gets cold and ~2000rpm is a common occurrence, even parked in my garage all the time.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:51 AM
Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by muyrec

SAme goes with my G once i press the brake pedal the idle start to lower down a bit quicker kind off weird, at first i thougt my g was just beeing stupid but i guess not, since im not the only one noticing lol

Old 05-31-2012, 01:06 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
The fluid works too good when it is cold. Once warmed up the fluid is not as dense so it shifts easier. I just hold the brake pedal down as well after waiting 30 seconds. That drops it to about 1400/1200 and I will usually put it in drive or reverse after that. It still clunks unless I fully let it warm up (a few minutes). Sometimes my fiance will have to move my car in the morning to get hers out. I was in the shower one time and heard my car CLUNK into reverse. I had to go over the whole warm-up-brake-pedal thing with her.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I usually allow my G to drop to at least 1000 before taking it out of park. I feel like its necessary to allow for the fluids to warm up before you start to engage the engine.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:22 PM
Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts
^ Off Course, goes like that with any vehicle, idk about hybrids but pretty sure has to get warm up ? anyone knw the answer for hybrids lol.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hard shifting with automatic