G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Transmission Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Questions

Hey guys . I recently got a g35xs with 32k on it. When i shift into third with the paddle shifters the tranny shift really hard, like a thud. I mentioned it to the service advisor and he said to do a flush($285) and that should fix the issue, doubt it. He then said that bc the car was never serviced at an infiniti dealership, that infiniti could say the warranty on the car is invalid if the tranny needed to be replaced/fixed. he said i needed to get some serivces at an infiniti dealership to ensure that they would validate the warranty. I dont know what to believe on that one. Sounds like he could just be trying to scare me into some sales for him. Let me know your thoughts on this and the pricing. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
What year is the G?

There are Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) that direct the service techs to reflash the ECU and resolve this issue.
Look here...this link is at the top right of the forum page
https://g35driver.com/forums/alldata...012/makeid=27/

or look here as well
http://infinitihelp.com/index.php

Old 07-02-2012, 01:45 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
There is no requirement that you have your car serviced at an Infiniti dealership to maintain its warranty (That is pure BS! ); you don't even have to do it at any brand of dealership, or even at an independent service facility. You can do it yourself and still preserve your warranty. All you need to do, no matter where you do get your service, is keep records and receipts for the work performed. I do all my own service and have never had a problem. In the back of my Owner's manual, I keep a simple hand written log of the date, mileage, service performed, and parts used. Additionally, I keep the original receipts for everything in a folder. That being said, you still have to have done the work at acceptable time/mileage intervals, to acceptable standards, and with acceptable specifications on parts, fluids, etc., or they may have potential cause to deny warranty.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:22 PM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by vqsmile
There is no requirement that you have your car serviced at an Infiniti dealership to maintain its warranty (That is pure BS! ); you don't even have to do it at any brand of dealership, or even at an independent service facility. You can do it yourself and still preserve your warranty. All you need to do, no matter where you do get your service, is keep records and receipts for the work performed. I do all my own service and have never had a problem. In the back of my Owner's manual, I keep a simple hand written log of the date, mileage, service performed, and parts used. Additionally, I keep the original receipts for everything in a folder. That being said, you still have to have done the work at acceptable time/mileage intervals, to acceptable standards, and with acceptable specifications on parts, fluids, etc., or they may have potential cause to deny warranty.
While it is true that you can perform the service yourself, keep in mind that if you do a tranny service and you or the service tech do not use the genuine Nissan Matic J or Nissan Matic S fluid, your warranty on the transmission is void.

Oil changes as long as they meet the specifications of the oil used is fine. Check your manual to see the full details of the warranty.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:37 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by vqsmile
... you still have to have done the work ... with acceptable specifications on parts, fluids, etc., or they may have potential cause to deny warranty.
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
While it is true that you can perform the service yourself, keep in mind that if you do a tranny service and you or the service tech do not use the genuine Nissan Matic J or Nissan Matic S fluid, your warranty on the transmission is void.

Oil changes as long as they meet the specifications of the oil used is fine. Check your manual to see the full details of the warranty.
Isn't that what I just said?

Old 07-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
the 2>3rd Hard Shift is a common thing on the 5AT, it has to do with the clearances between the high and
low-reverse clutch and the direct clutch.

Fixing this issue 100% will mean taking apart the transmission.

The following users liked this post:
GXXXV X (07-07-2012)
Old 07-08-2012, 11:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HeyRozz
Hey guys . I recently got a g35xs with 32k on it. When i shift into third with the paddle shifters the tranny shift really hard, like a thud. I mentioned it to the service advisor and he said to do a flush($285) and that should fix the issue, doubt it. He then said that bc the car was never serviced at an infiniti dealership, that infiniti could say the warranty on the car is invalid if the tranny needed to be replaced/fixed. he said i needed to get some serivces at an infiniti dealership to ensure that they would validate the warranty. I dont know what to believe on that one. Sounds like he could just be trying to scare me into some sales for him. Let me know your thoughts on this and the pricing. Thanks in advance.
Price is about what I paid. As someone already said, the hard shift probably is normal. Mine does it too. HOWEVER, the service advisor is full of it with everything else said.

So, if you want to go to a dealer, I'd work with another service advisor whether the advisor is at this dealership or another.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:55 PM
thanks for the help. i will let u know what the dealer says when i take it in.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
285 for a flush? lol

Old 07-10-2012, 01:22 AM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Ive had the same issue since day 1 and just adjusted my driving habits to not run into that hard shift. For me it occures when your getting on the throttle. I mentioned this to the dealer at the time my warranty was still in effect and they topped off the tranny fluid and some other procedures (re-flashing?). Yet still have the same issue and it could be possible that this same issue is whats causing my tranny to leak. Other then that it's very common for the 5spd auto to perform like this.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Anton_Chigurh
285 for a flush? lol
Why?

Old 07-11-2012, 12:40 AM
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by G3065
Ive had the same issue since day 1 and just adjusted my driving habits to not run into that hard shift. For me it occures when your getting on the throttle. I mentioned this to the dealer at the time my warranty was still in effect and they topped off the tranny fluid and some other procedures (re-flashing?). Yet still have the same issue and it could be possible that this same issue is whats causing my tranny to leak. Other then that it's very common for the 5spd auto to perform like this.
^^^what he said! i just adjusted my driving its normal!

Old 07-11-2012, 07:03 AM
yea that **** sucks i know what ur talkin about, wish i got a manual at times theyre so raree