G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

White smoke and leak got me worried.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by G3065
... When we did the 60k service I remember us draining the whole tranny of any fluid that it had in it. After that I filled the 5 quarts that I purchased....
Originally Posted by G3065
VQSMILE:
... I personally don't think that I overfilled it and I'm 100% sure. :/

It's all water under the bridge at this point, but . . . it seems odd that you could be 100% sure you didn't. (or was that a typo in your post??)

The "whole" tranny holds something like 11 quarts. As I mentioned, draining the pan nets approximately 4 quarts, but sometimes more, sometimes less. Did you measure what was actually removed? Even if you did, did you ensure compensation for temperature?

I'd sure like to know where the leak was actually coming from, and why it took so long to surface.

I doubt any dealership would ever refund diagnostic money, especially if they know you caused or contributed to whatever is currently failing. More likely, they would just apply it toward further diagnosis if they're wrong. As long as they're following correct factory diagnostic protocol, they can't be faulted if they have to go through the preliminary steps to arrive at the ultimate solution.

I suggest contacting the other guy and see what his ongoing experience has been since his occurrence.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:22 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by vqsmile

It's all water under the bridge at this point, but . . . it seems odd that you could be 100% sure you didn't. (or was that a typo in your post??)

The "whole" tranny holds something like 11 quarts. As I mentioned, draining the pan nets approximately 4 quarts, but sometimes more, sometimes less. Did you measure what was actually removed? Even if you did, did you ensure compensation for temperature?

I'd sure like to know where the leak was actually coming from, and why it took so long to surface.

I doubt any dealership would ever refund diagnostic money, especially if they know you caused or contributed to whatever is currently failing. More likely, they would just apply it toward further diagnosis if they're wrong. As long as they're following correct factory diagnostic protocol, they can't be faulted if they have to go through the preliminary steps to arrive at the ultimate solution.

I suggest contacting the other guy and see what his ongoing experience has been since his occurrence.
What I meant is if they do the ATF flush and I take it back in and they say that it is a different issue then I should be compensated for the services that they attempted based on their diagnosis. Oh and btw I didn't mean I should be refund for the diagnosis . I told them to do the ATF flush and we're going to go from there. From what the tech said: the oil was overflowing from above where the dipstick is at.
I'm gonna have them clean it all up and test the car out to see if this leak occurs and another detail that he shared with me is that the amount of oil that it can hold is 13 quarts.
As far as long term effects he didn't really have anything in mind other then just overflowing.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:04 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
ill have to agree with VQ here, we did a drain and fill on my friends auto G and we pulled out a little less than 4Qts after letting it drip for a few hours flat on the ground.

Now lets assume taht you too removed about 4qts and added 5qts, then 1 extra qt is quite a lot of overfill and explains how it overflowed through the dipstick when the car was running and overfilling the tranny is never a good idea. just hope nothing is damaged.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
ill have to agree with VQ here, we did a drain and fill on my friends auto G and we pulled out a little less than 4Qts after letting it drip for a few hours flat on the ground.

Now lets assume taht you too removed about 4qts and added 5qts, then 1 extra qt is quite a lot of overfill and explains how it overflowed through the dipstick when the car was running and overfilling the tranny is never a good idea. just hope nothing is damaged.
oh no doubt I agree with VQ in fact i understand how this process works now so Thanks to you fellas! I don't think anything is damaged but then again we'll see if it effected the gasket etc.
Still haven't heard back from Sewell yet.

EDIT:
More then likely we drained a little less then 5 quarts on the 60k.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
I'm going to make a mental note to remember that, apparently, the 5AT tranny may have an odd habit of belching out any overfilled fluid after 20k miles or so. SO weird!

Old 07-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
well he did say that he pushed the car a bit when he noticed the smoke so perhaps the aggressive gear changes forced teh excessive fluid out and over through the dipstick area, but looks like everything will be alright after he gets the tranny flushed.

Good job helping G3065 identify the problem so quickly VQ, its always best to take your car to the shop with knowledge of what might be wrong rather than letting them figure it out and at times dishonestly fool you out of a few $$

The following 2 users liked this post by kool_yaar:
G3065 (07-10-2012), vqsmile (07-11-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 11:47 PM
Yeah no kidding! Thanks vq!!!! you and the rest of the guys that I hear from regularly helped out a lot with this process... I got the car back and it's a completely different feel. A lot smoooooother shifts high or low speeds, to the point at which you don't even notice the shifts! I remember just shifting the car into reverse it would roughly adjust but now everything is buttery smooth. I know it was quite a bit for a flush but ended up walking out with $270 for the flush just so that I can get back to my life! Lol I haven't noticed any leaks or any odors from oil burning on the exhaust.
Once again thanks fellas!

The following 2 users liked this post by G3065:
kool_yaar (07-10-2012), vqsmile (07-11-2012)