G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Aftermarket rotors?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket rotors?

I think its finally time to get rid of those crappy rotors. Recommend / link me what works on the 2008 g35x and personal experiences plz. Thanks

Old 09-12-2012, 09:44 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
I get all my rotors from R1Concepts and to keep it short i have been very happy with the premium line with all my cars. There are many detailed reviews here if you search for them.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:39 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
R1 concepts for the win... I would go with hawk brake pads this time around though.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:11 AM
Do I need to get new brake pads with new rotors? My pads are pretty new :S

also im in vancouver, and though i can drive down to the border and pick up, local recommendations would be nice as well!

how much approx is the labor for installing rotors all around?

and http://www.r1concepts.com/infiniti-g...rakes-disc.htm

is there a pro/con of slotted vs non slotted? it seems to have teh same price.
how about the stock (no slot/drill) good enough?
vs premium?

sorry for the lot of questions.

Thanks!

Old 09-13-2012, 02:18 AM
Just did some more reading on google and i think i found something that sums it up.

Drilled:
Pros: cools faster
Cons: too often someone buys a set of rotors, drills them, but doesn't account for the angle of the vents. Then the cross drills will weaken the rotor.

Slotted:
Pros: better braking
Cons: wears through pads faster because they are constantly "shaving" the pads.

Cross Drilled and Slotted:
Pros: cools quickly and has good stopping
Cons: Weakest of all of the rotors and suffer from the same problems of just drilled cons.
I guess i will just get the regular rotors since im not really looking in to performance in risking short use of rotors/brake pads. I just want to get rid of that damn brake judder -.-

Old 09-13-2012, 08:01 AM
Has anyone tried upgrading to the big rotors and calipers found on the 08 g37s? I have an 07 g35 and want to get some better performing brakes, badly! What's the best option? Will the the rotors shown earlier ands pads alone provide significantly better stopping and cooling?

Old 09-13-2012, 08:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes to getting aftermarket rotors. I have Stoptech slotted rotors on the front and so far so good. IMO the most I would go with would be slotted rotors, I wouldn't do cross-drilled unless it was going to be on a track car. As far as the pads go, you don't absolutely have to replace them, just need to bed the pads on the new rotors. One of the best sources for brake questions - http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...l-white-papers

Old 09-13-2012, 12:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A co-worker has EBC rotors on his R32 and they have held up extremely well(he drives like a jerk), I think he has 30k miles on them with yellowstuff pads. His are drilled and slotted, the newer ones are slotted and dimpled. You can also get them just slotted. They have either a gold zinc or black oxide coating to keep them from rusting.

Also, if you are having brake judder, have you had the TSB perfomed where they installed the new back shield, its solved the problem on my car.

edited to say slotted and dimpled

Last edited by vdoh8687; 09-13-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:45 PM
I bought premium slotted/dimpled rotors from BrakePerformance.com and also purchased premium semi-metallic pads. Total including shipping was $450, and it cost me $200 for installation at a local shop. I am very happy with them, and it completely removed the "judder". The only complaint I have with the rotors is that I can hear a slight "clicking" noise if I have the windows down, and I have heard others mention this on this forum as well, with these rotors. I believe it is supposed to get better with time, but honestly it doesn't bother me at all as I can only hear if I have the windows open and if I am driving next to something (i.e. building or another car as the noise needs something to bounce off in order for me to hear).

Old 09-13-2012, 02:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by simsimi1004
how much approx is the labor for installing rotors all around?

Thanks!
I currently have Power Slot Slotted Brake Rotors with Akebono Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pads. They are a lot better then OEM without any dust. But next time around, I would go with EBC/Hawks Blue Pads. It will have better performance with more dust!

I paid $120 for labor (front and rear rotor and break pads replacement). I had to call about 6-10 places. Stealership was going to charge me close to $300 just for replacement.

Overall, ordering your own parts you will save a lot of money and have premium parts for your car.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:03 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffwChance
Has anyone tried upgrading to the big rotors and calipers found on the 08 g37s? I have an 07 g35 and want to get some better performing brakes, badly! What's the best option? Will the the rotors shown earlier ands pads alone provide significantly better stopping and cooling?
There's quite a few that have gone w/ the Akebono BBK, one problem is the Akebonos are huge, most wheels won't clear the calipers. Here's a template that you can fit inside your wheel to make sure they'll clear, if not spacers may work. You can get kits for around $1450-1500. (all the calipers, rotors pads, hdwr.)
http://www.conceptzperformance.com/i...nttemplate.pdf

Old 09-13-2012, 09:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the EBC slotted W/ the redstuff pads. (a lot of dust from redstuff) stop good though. want to try the yellowstuff pads. IMO the slotted or drilled rotors will slightly shorten your stopping distance ( allows the gasses to escape which keeps the rotors cooler. I would go with slotted. The type of pads U use will also determine the stopping distance.

G/Luck

Old 09-14-2012, 03:07 AM
is it okay if i only change the front rotors? since its probably what causes the judder... right? rear too???

and what does bedding the pad mean

Old 09-14-2012, 10:04 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
is it okay if i only change the front rotors? since its probably what causes the judder... right? rear too???
If you have the G35x, the car will use the front rotor for 80% of the stopping power. Thus, the front rotor and calipers are bigger. Many times front rotor and pads wear out quicker. Depending on your habit of driving.

what does bedding the pad mean
When new pads are installed you need to break them in. It will allow the pads to evenly apply and giving you the maximum stopping power. Bedding process is really easy. According to my knowledge, in a safe area, apply brakes moderately from 60mph to 30mph and then drive approximately 1/2 mile to allow the brakes to cool. Repeat this procedure approximately 10-15 times.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:15 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Just did some more reading on google and i think i found something that sums it up.

I guess i will just get the regular rotors since im not really looking in to performance in risking short use of rotors/brake pads. I just want to get rid of that damn brake judder -.-
Thats only the case if they are not drilled right and is mostly done by shops that buy rotors from somewhere and then drill it themselves but since R1 produces its own blanks and then drills/slots them themselves the drills are in teh correct position and chamfered to avoid cracks and such. like i said i have 3sets of d/s from them with no issues. The drilled seems to really help with keeping the rotors from warping as quickly imo.

But if you dont feel secure then go with regular blanks, other than that they include a sheet telling you how to bed the new pads to the rotors. takes about 15mins for the whole process but its a lot of fun if in an empty safe place

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket rotors?