G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Wheel bearing or what?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
So I am almost due for a tire rotation. I will get that done this weekend and if the noise persists then I will know it is not the tires. Then I will try replacing the hub assy. since it is only 170 bucks. If it persists after that then the dealership will be my next stop. Thanks everybody. I will post the results once it is taken care of.

I did have the diff serviced at 60k. hopefully it has nothing to do with that.

I installed stoptech rotors about 6 months ago with hawk pads.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
^ you said "...It is more pronounced when turning to the right though. It sounds like the front right wheel..."

To the best of my knowledge, if the problem where to be a front right bearing then sound would be more pronounced if you steered to the left, placing more lateral force to the front right.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:42 PM
That is the rumor. I really think it is the right side due to the humming, the service manager at my work agrees. Maybe it is the front left and not the right though!! I guess I should give her the ol' shake test when I do the tire rotation.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same issue here!

Ive had the same thing going on with my 08' Sedan, and had the driver wheel bearing replaced under the powertrain warranty...however much to the service advisors dismay it was still happening (a little quieter this time). He swapped the tires from a loaner car that had the OEM Goodyear Eagles on it, and the noise was gone. I bought it in May with the current Hankook Ventus tires on it, cant wait for them to wear out..till then the stereo is loud enough..best of luck!

Old 11-13-2012, 03:26 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
What if it wasn't the tires... but the rims??? Did he swap the tire out from the rims or tire AND rims with another car?

Old 11-13-2012, 03:28 PM
Rims and tires together..I had the tires rotated before the swap to see if would do anything for it, and there was no change. If I sit in the back seat I can also hear the roaring.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:12 PM
Alright. For some reason everybody in town tells me they cant find a part # for the front hub on an 07 g35x. Some even said it's not available, Crazy! After running all over town today (Napa, Oreilly, Pep Boys) I ended up at the dealership and got it for $210. Normally $247 but Mike Ward Infiniti is the bomb.

We replaced the hub assembly and I crossed my fingers. They car runs so smooth now I can't stop smiling. The rattling/grinding noise heard on the outside of the car is gone. As well as the whomp whomp sound heard on the inside of the car is gone. The noise was loudest when turning to the right, and it was the right front bearing.

Thx everybody for your input.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had that problem, replace the tires...noise went away.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:00 PM
does anyone know if it's necessary to get a wheel alignment done after replacing the wheel bearing/hub assembly? thanks.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:02 PM
maybe?

Alignment wasnt mentioned after the dealer did mine...? But really after messing around with suspension components im sure it wouldnt hurt.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by DaCurryman
does anyone know if it's necessary to get a wheel alignment done after replacing the wheel bearing/hub assembly? thanks.
In theory, no.
Changing the hub assembly doesn't change the alignment components.

However, If you were to inadvertently alter the alignment (banging hard to remove old parts) then I would consider it. If the hub replacement is smooth sailing your alignment will be the same as it was before you began.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by luger303
Alright. For some reason everybody in town tells me they cant find a part # for the front hub on an 07 g35x. Some even said it's not available, Crazy! After running all over town today (Napa, Oreilly, Pep Boys) I ended up at the dealership and got it for $210. Normally $247 but Mike Ward Infiniti is the bomb.

We replaced the hub assembly and I crossed my fingers. They car runs so smooth now I can't stop smiling. The rattling/grinding noise heard on the outside of the car is gone. As well as the whomp whomp sound heard on the inside of the car is gone. The noise was loudest when turning to the right, and it was the right front bearing.

Thx everybody for your input.
I don't know if I should be asking you since you have an 07 X and I have an 04 RWD, but I first started hearing a whomp whomp whomp grinding sort of noise a few weeks ago when I turn the wheel slightly right and go around curves to the right. At first I thought it was the front right bearing since I had replaced both the rears, but then it started sounding like it was coming from the rear right!! It was bugging the heck out of me that I couldn't isolate where this noise was coming from. So I pulled the rear bearing out and put back in the old hub/bearing that I had lying in the garage to see if I hear the noise I hear when I curve right. I still hear it, though it sounds a little different. And I'm telling myself it sounds different because it's now coupled with the airplane noise from the crappy bearing I put back on the rear right. But I still can't say unequivocally that the "whomp whomp whomp grinding noise" is not coming from the rear right. I guess my question to is were you able to tell without a shadow of a doubt that the noise you heard, which in fact turned out to be the front right bearing, was coming from the front right of the car? I lifted the front right of the car and turned the wheel and then took the wheel off and turned the hub/rotor and couldn't sense by feeling or listening anything irregular, although, like someone said earlier in this thread, I reckon it's unlikely that I can put enough force on anything to even come close to the force on that tire/wheel/rotor/bearing/hub that it feels when I'm driving the car and curving to the right. I fear I'm just gonna have to buy a front bearing/hub assembly (which I understand only come together for the RWDs) and just hope that gets rid of the noise. Does anyone know is it the right bearing that usually goes first on the front end? Sigh.