G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

New Stillen rear spoiler review plus spoiler comarison

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 04:22 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
New Stillen rear spoiler review plus spoiler comparison

This is an update to the thread below and for anyone interested in an inexpensive wing for the G35/7 sedan. See thread below
http://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-seda...runk-wing.html

I was looking for a rear spoiler that didn't require drilling into the trunk and also had the duckbill look I was after without being exaggerated. So after contacting Stillen to price the out their new wing, FedEx had one on my doorstep the same week.

As you expect, it is a polyurethane construction spoiler that fits right over the existing OEM chrome piece with 3M tape. No drilling is required and if you change your mind later on down the road you have the ability to remove it without leaving holes in your trunk or any other type of aesthetic blemish.
The raw unprepped piece

Now the first wing I received had a minor flaw in the poly but Stillen quickly sent another one as soon as I called. Kudos to Stillen for quickly resolving the issues with no hassle what-so-ever.

I had the spoiler professionally painted and installed at a local body shop which took less than a day.

All and all, I am very happy with the look of the spoiler. It has that duckbill up kick look I was after but in a more subtle way. Basically this new spoiler is an evolution of the original Stillen version which just fit on top of the OEM chrome piece rather than over it. The original version had a similar look but necessitated the chrome trim piece to be color matched for it to really look right.

In summary, if you are after a subtle "euro look" type spoiler that is more sculpted to the lines of the car (in my opinion) than the OEM version - this is for you.

Big thanks to Kyle at Stillen for the great deal.

On to the pictures.

A few people asked if the spoiler obstructed the camera in any way. As you can see in the picture there is no issue in that regard.

The macro shot below of the fit shows a gap that looks like you can drive a mack truck through it but I assure you its sealed to the trunk. Walk around any parking lot and look at the spoilers on other cars to compare the fit.

Front profile shot which has nothing to do with the spoiler

Below is a image comparison using borrowed pics of all the spoilers options the 2nd gen sendan has.

ebay or spoiler depot type...cheaper but not the look I wanted.

This is an ebay/spoiler depot version with painted trim piece on VT's G35S Sedan's ride

Tommy Kaira (TK)-this was the look I was going for but daaammnn.. I can't justify the cost of this thing.

OEM- surfboard type with not enough kick up to match the TK look I wanted.

The other OEM version- Not my favorite and a divergence from the euro sport or luxury look I want to maintain.

Oh hell...this would be on my car if I was still in high school but it comes with an extra serving of douchiness.

Stillen 1st gen. The look I was mostly after but the spoiler fits on top of the chrome trim piece which means you have to paint the trim piece to maintain a OEM look.
Without painted trim piece

With painted chrome trim piece

Autokits X spoiler. I like this look and it is what I wanted but this is double the cost if you get the carbon version and 100 bucks more if you get fiberglass. This spoiler does span the entire width of the trunk. Yeah...I am a cheapskate

Carbonsignal versionV2 -very nice but still more expensive than the Stillen version. Not only that, to get the ultra clean look in the picture requires molding and bodywork which is extra $$$$ and doesn't fit with my champagne taste on a beer budget mentality. And don't forget you have to relocate your camera which is not practical for me or most people BUT if you are willing to spend the money the look is definitely on point!

Carbonsignal Version 1- is similar in fashion to Stillen's version 1 that just fits on top of the chrome trim piece but its more than I wanted to drop when considering total overall cost.

WALD Black Bison - I don't really know much about this spoiler other than it's more money than I would like to spend to get it.

Last edited by Paneraiguy; 05-01-2013 at 11:01 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Paneraiguy:
aktif8 (04-30-2013), Maxonn (04-30-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're my hero. I've been searching for a thread just like this. Car looks great too.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by 90RunnerRed
You're my hero. I've been searching for a thread just like this. Car looks great too.
Thanks. Also, nice to see another Colorado member.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:41 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
NIce work presenting the research you did, respect. Car is looking good.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:32 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
i like the look of that spoiler, car is starting to look very nice

Old 04-29-2013, 04:26 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
i woulda left chrome part, painted spoiler black, black out or black chrome the chrome part. either stillen or ebay one looked good to me

Old 04-29-2013, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by saywat?
i woulda left chrome part, painted spoiler black, black out or black chrome the chrome part. either stillen or ebay one looked good to me
That option would only be possible with the Stillen version 1 or the Carbonsignal version 1 spoilers since they fit on top of the chrome trim piece. That is, if you wanted to still have some sort of spoiler outside of the no spoiler option and just painting the chrome trim piece. Just painting the chrome trim piece looks alright but it's all about taste and preference with this stuff.

Last edited by Paneraiguy; 04-29-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:17 AM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
I prefer the contrast

Old 04-30-2013, 02:03 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
thanks a lot for posting - i have the oem (i think..was on the car when i bought it) spoiler depot type.

After seeing your post, I'm definitely going to switch to the stillen v2, presuming there aren't holes in my trunk that won't get covered...

Old 05-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Driving lights

What did you do for driving lights? I have that same bumper and would really like a fog light/driving light of some sort.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by Rinaldi
What did you do for driving lights? I have that same bumper and would really like a fog light/driving light of some sort.

See the thread below for the details on my custom DRLs...

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...you-think.html

Last edited by Paneraiguy; 05-05-2013 at 06:42 PM.