G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Cause for the dreaded P0011/P0021 codes that everyone is curious about

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jotun
Okay, I'm back with an update for my gen 1 2004 350Z roadster. I finally had the extra money and a week vacation saved up, so I just caved and took it to a shop to see what they said about it. Apparently, my engine was leaking like a government secret, from a lot of unseen locations. They ended up replacing nearly every gasket they could find, resealing the oil pan, replacing the oil pressure sensor (again! this is my FOURTH one), replacing the oil & oil filter, and sending me back on my way in around ~7-8 hours (dropped it off first thing on a Monday morning, had it back by close of business the same day.)

I think in total, the bill was just shy of $1100 (McGee's in Tampa, FL) but I've been driving it for around 3 months now and it's running like a champ, no oil leaks, no thrown codes, and no issues (minus one incident where my tranny slipped a gear and went into limp mode, but I believe a particularly rainy Florida evening + hours of driving + no underbelly shroud + wet shift solenoid was to blame for that, since I let it dry off and cleared the codes the next morning and it hasn't come back.)

So if we've learned anything, it seems to be that low oil pressure is definitely the cause of most of the issues in this thread, even though those particular oil gallery gaskets mentioned are not on every model. If you have a gen 1 and are having any of these issues mentioned, do yourself a favor and have the oil pressure checked, and prepare to put in the work and/or money to restore your car back to its former glory. Hopefully this long ordeal helps someone out in the future!
I have a 2003 g35 built and turbo and I'm having p0011 issue timing jumps to 40 degrees and gets stuck also I'll gauge is reading low like 8 at idle. I'm suspecting the oil gallery gaskets. Did they replace yours? Are they an issue for us like they are for the hrs?

Old 09-02-2016, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by BeyondInfiniti
So I've found newer cam sprockets with 60k on them for 40$ unlike the 1000$ Nissan wants for them. Should I buy them, and if I do what is there to check for if they work?
I'm in the same boat as you. Was it indeed your sprocket?

Old 09-07-2016, 04:44 PM
Hi everyone. I am new here and found this thread because my 2010 Nissan Altima V6 coupe is throwing the same codes.. car seems to run fine, I cleared the codes but they came back. The car has about 71K miles...

I brought the car to the dealer, and I am not to happy about this... They are telling me an internal gasket is blown which is for the passage ways that carry the oil to the top of the engine. this is why the code get set. So its an internal leak.. They tell me the rear timing cover needs to be removed to replace these seals. and that the entire engine needs to come out. They are quoting me $2200.00 plus tax. OUCH!! That doesn't even include the rear timing chain if I want that replaced. Should I get that done to? That's another $600 in parts.

any thoughts? Should I go elsewhere?

Old 09-07-2016, 05:45 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by andremike@yahoo
Hi everyone. I am new here and found this thread because my 2010 Nissan Altima V6 coupe is throwing the same codes.. car seems to run fine, I cleared the codes but they came back. The car has about 71K miles...

I brought the car to the dealer, and I am not to happy about this... They are telling me an internal gasket is blown which is for the passage ways that carry the oil to the top of the engine. this is why the code get set. So its an internal leak.. They tell me the rear timing cover needs to be removed to replace these seals. and that the entire engine needs to come out. They are quoting me $2200.00 plus tax. OUCH!! That doesn't even include the rear timing chain if I want that replaced. Should I get that done to? That's another $600 in parts.

any thoughts? Should I go elsewhere?
The whole engine does NOT need to come out; it's just the whole front of it gets pretty much removed in place. A GOOD independent shop can handle the job just as well the dealer. The price the dealer quoted is actually on the low side FOR A DEALER. There isn't really a need to replace your timing chains, unless there is some inordinate damage, as the normal life is likely well beyond 200K miles. If you want to do something more proactively toward your future maintenance, I'd consider replacing the water pump while your are in there. It shouldn't cost much more than just the parts cost, since it will be totally exposed while they're doing the repair.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
The whole engine does NOT need to come out; it's just the whole front of it gets pretty much removed in place. A GOOD independent shop can handle the job just as well the dealer. The price the dealer quoted is actually on the low side FOR A DEALER. There isn't really a need to replace your timing chains, unless there is some inordinate damage, as the normal life is likely well beyond 200K miles. If you want to do something more proactively toward your future maintenance, I'd consider replacing the water pump while your are in there. It shouldn't cost much more than just the parts cost, since it will be totally exposed while they're doing the repair.
But he said Altima which makes it front wheel drive the motor will need to come out would it not?

Old 09-07-2016, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by Da_skyliner
But he said Altima which makes it front wheel drive the motor will need to come out would it not?
Oh snap, I totally forgot about his car being front wheel drive.

You (and the dealer) may be correct about that then. Scratch what I said about the procedure, as that pertains to the V36 (2nd gen) G3x cars. I can't speak to the repair method in a FWD chassis. In fact, I think the motor used in the Altima is a "DE" type, and not the "HR" version, which is predominantly what this thread (and pretty this whole forum section) covers, so the info about the chain and WP may not be accurate either.

For more informed input on the DE motor, I would suggest heading to the 1st gen section here: https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06-15/
(or to the actual Altima section on one of the Nissan forums like this: http://forums.nicoclub.com/4th-gener...ima-sedan.html )

Old 09-07-2016, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
Oh snap, I totally forgot about his car being front wheel drive.

You (and the dealer) may be correct about that then. Scratch what I said about the procedure, as that pertains to the V36 (2nd gen) G3x cars. I can't speak to the repair method in a FWD chassis. In fact, I think the motor used in the Altima is a "DE" type, and not the "HR" version, which is predominantly what this thread (and pretty this whole forum section) covers, so the info about the chain and WP may not be accurate either.

For more informed input on the DE motor, I would suggest heading to the 1st gen section here: https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06-15/
(or to the actual Altima section on one of the Nissan forums like this: http://forums.nicoclub.com/4th-gener...ima-sedan.html )

thanks guys.. I tried the NICO forum and no one had this problem... Since its the reat timing chain, ther is no water pump. I will probably leave the rear timing chain. and just replace the seals. he dealer original quoted me $2800, but came down to $2170.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by andremike@yahoo
thanks guys.. I tried the NICO forum and no one had this problem... Since its the reat timing chain, ther is no water pump. I will probably leave the rear timing chain. and just replace the seals. he dealer original quoted me $2800, but came down to $2170.
If it's a DE check the sprockets as well. ..

Old 09-09-2016, 12:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Finally got my car back from a reputable shop. Not too sure when the computer resets, but so far so good after 45 miles. I also agree with vqsmile, replace your water pump, especially if you have high mileage. I'm glad I replaced my water pump because it showed significant wear inside. I also replaced my drive belt since there was 0 labor hours involved. Below is a list of parts of what the mechanic replaced for the gasket job.

Solenoid Gasket (2x)
O Ring (2x)
Front Cover Gasket
Oil Galley Gasket
Crank Seal

I ended up paying $1640 total, and that includes the parts/labor for my water pump and drive belt.

Old 09-09-2016, 01:27 AM
Originally Posted by Dephect
Finally got my car back from a reputable shop. Not too sure when the computer resets, but so far so good after 45 miles. I also agree with vqsmile, replace your water pump, especially if you have high mileage. I'm glad I replaced my water pump because it showed significant wear inside. I also replaced my drive belt since there was 0 labor hours involved. Below is a list of parts of what the mechanic replaced for the gasket job.

Solenoid Gasket (2x)
O Ring (2x)
Front Cover Gasket
Oil Galley Gasket
Crank Seal

I ended up paying $1640 total, and that includes the parts/labor for my water pump and drive belt.
Yours is a hr?

Old 09-09-2016, 01:35 AM
Vq35

Old 09-09-2016, 02:02 AM
Originally Posted by Da_skyliner

Yours is a hr?

Vq35

Da_skyliner, I'm pretty sure his is an HR (i.e. VQ35-HR).

(He said he had an '08 a while back)

Old 09-09-2016, 02:46 AM
Sorry about that, thought I typed out the whole name. Yes it's a VQ35-HR.

I've driven about 90 miles now since the fix, and no codes! It's kind of nice not seeing your SES come on after lengthy drives.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:07 AM

I've driven about 90 miles now since the fix, and no codes! It's kind of nice not seeing your SES come on after lengthy drives.
Ok great, hopefully my DE will be in the shop this weekend, I miss the boosted life...

Old 09-10-2016, 08:55 AM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts

Glad to hear that it's going well, seems like a real good price you paid too, especially including the water pump. How many hrs were charged for the job?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Cause for the dreaded P0011/P0021 codes that everyone is curious about