G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

07 G35x Starts... Then Stalls

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 03:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 G35x Starts... Then Stalls......HELP

I've been doing a bit of searching on here and found others who are having the same problem. I got in my car this morning, started her up- - then stalls. When I give it a little gs it sputters pretty hard and stalls. What's odd that I haven't read in other posts is that my CD changer was making noise/switching cd's which I've only noticed after resetting the ECU.

I haven't replaced the battery lately, haven't reset the ECU. Could this be a result of my battery dying overnight or something? It's shown no signs of weakening? I haven't cleaned the TB's lately, car has 85k miles with R2C intakes.

I need some help any advice is appreciated!!

Edit- I threw the P0011 code a few months back but then the light went off so maybe that has something to do with it? I'm trying not to sink any money into this thing...new baby and I'm looking to trade it in soon.

Last edited by stevec1129; 10-01-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had the same problem on my G35X about 2 weeks ago after taking it to the dealer, replaced my battery and never happened again. Never got a CEL light i also cleaned my MAF Sensors has not stalled or hesitated.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:28 AM
I'm thinking it's a sensor but I'm hoping it could be the battery doing something as well. We had the battery on a charger and we were getting it up to 12.7-13V and it would get it to turn over but then it would die off.

Codes were coming out: C1131, C1704, B2562, P1233. The battery was so dead from trying to start it repeatedly that my headlights/internal lights weren't working and when trying to turn over it would simply click once, sometimes not at all and that was it. I think those codes are relevant to the idle learn, throttle learn but are those being thrown because the battery was dead?

Would a bad battery cause the engine to stall out though..I didn't think so but I'm not the best under the hood? I tried jumping it off my wife's SUV with no luck either.

Maybe my battery died overnight and then the ECU did not maintain the throttle settings and that's why its not starting? If I give it a little gas it'll get the RPMs up to about 1500 then sputter and die out... PLEASE HELP

Edit- I was throwing the P0011 code several weeks ago but it has since gone away and It hasn't come back up since all this started?

Old 10-02-2014, 09:12 AM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
A bad/discharged battery can cause many odd symptoms. if you know your battery is dead or ready to be changed then definitely just do it and hopefully that will resolve your issue. If the battery is original then you're way overdue for a replacement since most car batteries are only good for 5-6 years.

If you go and review the codes you got one is for the tire pressure, one is low voltage, one is fuel pump offline and one is for a circuit fault i think. You may have a damaged ECU, which can happen at low battery voltages, or they're all potentially fake codes as a symptom of having a degraded battery. Either way I would think that's the best place to start.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:45 AM
That could potentially be the case considering I've had the car for 4-5 years and haven't changed the battery...

I will pick a new one up today after work and report back with my findings. After installing the new battery is it necessary to reset the Throttle Body? Are these the three procedures needed to do so: Accelerator Pedal Release Position Learning Procedure, Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning, and the Idle Air Volume Learning?

Old 10-02-2014, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by stevec1129
That could potentially be the case considering I've had the car for 4-5 years and haven't changed the battery...

I will pick a new one up today after work and report back with my findings. After installing the new battery is it necessary to reset the Throttle Body? Are these the three procedures needed to do so: Accelerator Pedal Release Position Learning Procedure, Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning, and the Idle Air Volume Learning?
I have not had to reset anything after replacing my batter but keep the procedures handy in case you find it necessary.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:21 PM
On second lookover we found the drivers side throttle body was locked up in the closed position. Cleaned it with some tb cleaner and a gently got the valve to open, now works freely and looks clean as new. Threw a new battery in as well for good measure and she started right up.

Noticed my pulleys seem to be mKing making sporacic screeching noises which i never noticed before all this. Coincidence.?

So far no tb learning procedures seem to be needed, car idles smooth at approx 1k rpms. Took it for a drive about a mile and no iss u es knock on wood. Would this have caused my P0011 code?

Old 10-05-2014, 01:29 PM
hmmm, quite the possibility we all could have been wrong then. either way it's good that you resolved it!

Old 09-20-2019, 10:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stevec1129
On second lookover we found the drivers side throttle body was locked up in the closed position. Cleaned it with some tb cleaner and a gently got the valve to open, now works freely and looks clean as new. Threw a new battery in as well for good measure and she started right up.

Noticed my pulleys seem to be mKing making sporacic screeching noises which i never noticed before all this. Coincidence.?

So far no tb learning procedures seem to be needed, car idles smooth at approx 1k rpms. Took it for a drive about a mile and no iss u es knock on wood. Would this have caused my P0011 code?
How did u know tb was locked up ?

Old 09-20-2019, 11:03 AM
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
04 G35 Sedan performance package. 70k Eibach springs and sway bars. 19 inch wheels. Plenum spacer.
Originally Posted by unique serrano
How did u know tb was locked up ?
You know this is a 5 year old post?