G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Battery stops charging when car is warm??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Battery stops charging when car is warm??

I've recently just purchased a 2008 G35x. After driving the vehicle for about 20 minutes the battery (and brake light?) come on.

I've cleaned the battery posts, and the alternator is spinning. It works intermittently as when I test the battery on cold start it puts out over 14V, but when the light comes on it stops working completely.

Could this maybe be a bad ground? Does the vehicle being warm have something to do with it? If anyone has any ideas or diagrams of alternator wiring I'd appreciate it. I'm not sure where the alternator grounds to but I'd like to check that. Thanks!

Old 09-02-2017, 07:08 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,469 Likes on 2,161 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Sounds like the voltage regulator (part of the alternator) is failing due to heat. Probably just needs a new alternator.

The following users liked this post:
jaroudi (02-05-2023)
Old 09-02-2017, 09:06 PM
Received 168 Likes on 148 Posts
The alternator grounds to the block directly. It could be the regulator like cleric mentions. You can rebuild them if you can find the correct parts, but it's easier to buy one. Check the wires and connections also make sure they aren't corroded or anything.

How old is your battery also? It might not be able to hold a charge.

Old 09-03-2017, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by Salvage
I've recently just purchased a 2008 G35x. After driving the vehicle for about 20 minutes the battery (and brake light?) come on.

I've cleaned the battery posts, and the alternator is spinning. It works intermittently as when I test the battery on cold start it puts out over 14V, but when the light comes on it stops working completely.

Could this maybe be a bad ground? Does the vehicle being warm have something to do with it? If anyone has any ideas or diagrams of alternator wiring I'd appreciate it. I'm not sure where the alternator grounds to but I'd like to check that. Thanks!
Was this a flood/salvage vehicle?

Telcoman

Old 09-03-2017, 11:21 AM
It's was a salvage, but I bought it from the previous owner as a rebud

Old 09-03-2017, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
It's was a salvage, but I bought it from the previous owner as a rebud
Knowingly purchasing a salvage vehicle you need to be prepared for electrical problems such as these.
Flood waters mixed with salt, toxic chemicals, sewerage, and other unknown items getting into a vehicle cause many future problems
Corrosion, poor electrical connections, sensor and wiring harness problems are why insurance companies are quick to declare these vehicles salvage. They know it is not economical to repair.
If you are unable to do the necessary electrical troubleshooting yourself and spending the time as well as the money you probably should do what the previous owner did.
Get rid of it and find another vehicle.
These vehicles can be unsafe in case of an accident.

Just my $.02

Telcoman

Old 09-03-2017, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by telcoman
Knowingly purchasing a salvage vehicle you need to be prepared for electrical problems such as these.
Flood waters mixed with salt, toxic chemicals, sewerage, and other unknown items getting into a vehicle cause many future problems
Corrosion, poor electrical connections, sensor and wiring harness problems are why insurance companies are quick to declare these vehicles salvage. They know it is not economical to repair.
If you are unable to do the necessary electrical troubleshooting yourself and spending the time as well as the money you probably should do what the previous owner did.
Get rid of it and find another vehicle.
These vehicles can be unsafe in case of an accident.

Just my $.02

Telcoman

It was not a flood loss. I have the damage estimate and have seen pictures of it pre-repair. It was a front end collision to the drivers side. Though I am not ruling it out, the chance of the charging system failing due to this is quite low I'd say. I'm pretty sure it's just a failing voltage regulator/alternator, just wanted to see if anyone had any input.

Old 09-03-2017, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

It was not a flood loss. I have the damage estimate and have seen pictures of it pre-repair. It was a front end collision to the drivers side. Though I am not ruling it out, the chance of the charging system failing due to this is quite low I'd say. I'm pretty sure it's just a failing voltage regulator/alternator, just wanted to see if anyone had any input.
Well in that case find an electric motor rebuilding shop and let them first bench test the alternator and repair it.
Better to rebuild your existing alternator than take a chance on some cheap replacement

Telcoman

Old 09-03-2017, 03:55 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
The problem with a bench test is it won't experience the same heat as it would while installed. Since it DOES charge when the engine is cold it would probably pass the test, doesn't hurt to try though, explain the symptoms to the shop doing the test because they can always just shoot a heat gun at it for a while to simulate the ~150F engine bay temps.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:53 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Did you ever find a solution to this? Im having a similar but different issue. I also find that on startup the voltage goes up to 14, but then quickly drops to ~12.9V where it stays. Car runs fine like this, no lights on the dash etc. However when it rains, or more recently its been quite cold hovering around the freezing mark, the voltage doesn't drop, it stays at 14 or 13.8-13.9 for the entire day. Im really not sure which way round is supposed to be normal.

P.S. I use something like this to monitor. Also has a low voltage alarm when it drop to 11.8 or so

https://m.gearbest.com/car-charger/pp_598833.html

Last edited by Serge Mullen; 12-09-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:39 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Sure glad I installed voltage and oil pressure gauges so I can monitor what's going on under SLICK'S hood! Voltage s/b between 14.5 and 15 volts, that's what the alternator on both my cars puts out. Anything below that I know I have an issue!
Gary

Old 12-09-2017, 11:15 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Yeah I need to put in an oil pressure gauge, did you use an oil filter sandwich for yours Gary?

Old 12-10-2017, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Serge Mullen
Did you ever find a solution to this? Im having a similar but different issue. I also find that on startup the voltage goes up to 14, but then quickly drops to ~12.9V where it stays. Car runs fine like this, no lights on the dash etc. However when it rains, or more recently its been quite cold hovering around the freezing mark, the voltage doesn't drop, it stays at 14 or 13.8-13.9 for the entire day. Im really not sure which way round is supposed to be normal.

P.S. I use something like this to monitor. Also has a low voltage alarm when it drop to 11.8 or so

https://m.gearbest.com/car-charger/pp_598833.html
How old is your battery?
Even a fully charged battery after a long drive is going to lose a small charge overnight.
When starting the vehicle the next morning the alternator/voltage regulator is going to initially charge the battery at 14.4 volts and then drop as the battery reaches a full charge.
Test the individual battery cells for their state of charge level with a battery hydrometer.

Battery stops charging when car is warm??-2ye57nq.jpg

Telcoman

Old 12-10-2017, 05:22 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Battery is brand new. And up until we got into a serious cold spell it would run at 14.1V or so on startup, then drop to 12.9 after 3-4mins.

It seems some are running at 14+V all the time, the last few days it shows the 14.1 on startup, but only drops to 13.9 and stays there.

Last edited by Serge Mullen; 12-10-2017 at 05:28 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:46 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Yeah I need to put in an oil pressure gauge, did you use an oil filter sandwich for yours Gary?
Yes!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.