A question about gasoline - G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

A question about gasoline

Reply

 
 
 
  #1  
Old 08-05-2018, 10:55 AM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 27
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question A question about gasoline

I have a 2007 G35 and have been gassing up at a local Kwik Trip (Wisconsin & Minnesota brand). Their 88 octane states it contains up to 15% ethanol and is designed for flex-fuel vehicles. The 91 octane (which I have been using) states No ethanol added recreational gas For use in collectors vehicles or vehicles eligible to be licensed as collectors vehicles, off-road vehicles, motor cycles, boats or small engines only.

Have I been using the wrong gas?

 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-09-2018, 11:06 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 217
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigVMN View Post
I have a 2007 G35 and have been gassing up at a local Kwik Trip (Wisconsin & Minnesota brand). Their 88 octane states it contains up to 15% ethanol and is designed for flex-fuel vehicles. The 91 octane (which I have been using) states No ethanol added recreational gas For use in collectors vehicles or vehicles eligible to be licensed as collectors vehicles, off-road vehicles, motor cycles, boats or small engines only.

Have I been using the wrong gas?
I think the 91 octane no ethanol would give you marginally better gas mileage/performance, while the 15% ethanol will give you marginally better emissions. I would use 91 no ethanol if it was available where I live.
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-09-2018, 11:07 AM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 27
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by g35xdriver View Post
I think the 91 octane no ethanol would give you marginally better gas mileage/performance, while the 15% ethanol will give you marginally better emissions. I would use 91 no ethanol if it was available where I live.
So using this gas should not pose any problems/issues?
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-09-2018, 11:18 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 217
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
It should pose no problems, I would use it over the E15.
 
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to g35xdriver For This Useful Post:
CraigVMN (08-09-2018)
  #5  
Old 08-09-2018, 05:05 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 231
Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
87-88 octane gasoline with up to 15% ethanol is completely normal in the midwest US and could be elsewhere as well. Probably 75% or higher of drivers use that in their cars. In cars, you don't hear about issues related to ethanol. It can be a pain in small engines - lawnmowers, weed trimmers, etc if you don't keep it fresh.

In the VQ36HR, Nissan recommends 91 octane but do not require it. It is perfectly fine for your G35 too. That 'note' is very odd. Is that on the pump ? What station is this ? Around here, there are very, very few places that you can get ethanol-free fuel. I think even the mid-grade and premium grades include ethanol. If you want ethanol-free, stations near lakes usually have it for boats but it costs a LOT more, like $1 or more per gallon.

How much is regular gasoline and how much is this 91 octane ?
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-09-2018, 06:32 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 1,793
Thanked 99 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Hall Stevenson View Post
87-88 octane gasoline with up to 15% ethanol is completely normal in the midwest US and could be elsewhere as well. Probably 75% or higher of drivers use that in their cars. In cars, you don't hear about issues related to ethanol. It can be a pain in small engines - lawnmowers, weed trimmers, etc if you don't keep it fresh.

In the VQ36HR, Nissan recommends 91 octane but do not require it. It is perfectly fine for your G35 too. That 'note' is very odd. Is that on the pump ? What station is this ? Around here, there are very, very few places that you can get ethanol-free fuel. I think even the mid-grade and premium grades include ethanol. If you want ethanol-free, stations near lakes usually have it for boats but it costs a LOT more, like $1 or more per gallon.

How much is regular gasoline and how much is this 91 octane ?
On my third Infiniti
06 G35 6 speed purchased new, traded in at 171796 miles
2012 G37S 6 speed purchased new traded in 94444 miles
Present 2016 Q70 6600 miles
Never used premium on any of my vehicles
Regular 87 octane all the time



Telcoman
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-11-2018, 10:38 AM
herrschaft's Avatar
Registered User
iTrader: (18)
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Coast
Posts: 7,498
Thanked 704 Times in 550 Posts
The higher the octane, the less likely it will prematurely detonate. Therefore 91/93 is safer to use. *** long as all of your sensors are working properly and the ECU is receiving the correct signals, 87 will not harm your engine.
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-11-2018, 11:55 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: LA, Cali
Posts: 650
Thanked 49 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by telcoman View Post
On my third Infiniti
06 G35 6 speed purchased new, traded in at 171796 miles
2012 G37S 6 speed purchased new traded in 94444 miles
Present 2016 Q70 6600 miles
Never used premium on any of my vehicles
Regular 87 octane all the time



Telcoman
How did u drive it though? Did u baby it or drive it hard? In cold or hot weather?
 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-11-2018, 12:48 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 1,793
Thanked 99 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Scorpi0 View Post


How did u drive it though? Did u baby it or drive it hard? In cold or hot weather?
Summers in NJ are hot
Winters in NJ are cold
With the 06 I was commuting 2k miles/month
Some working at home with the 2012
A few trips per year from NJ to Florida on all vehicles
Rarely over 80 MPH
Rarely over 5k RPM

Telcoman
 
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-11-2018, 12:51 PM
cleric670@gmail's Avatar
BANNED!!!
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Washington State
Posts: 4,555
Thanked 454 Times in 434 Posts
The engine will pull timing advance before the engine is ever damaged as long as your knock sensor is actually bolted to the engine like it should be. However on hot days running the engine hard you will lose that timing advance that you would otherwise be able to take advantage of if you are using lower octane fuel.

Never use anything less than premium fuel if you are doing a track day.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
got35
Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
12
11-01-2004 03:18 PM
muscarel
G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07
14
10-16-2004 08:49 AM
mamboking
Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
4
07-01-2004 03:31 PM
phils
G35 Sedan V35 2003-06
1
04-08-2004 07:52 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A question about gasoline


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: