G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

oxygenated gasoline

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oxygenated gasoline

I think the manual says not to use gas that has additives or is oxygenated (ethanol). It says something like if you have to put gas in the car, then do not fill up more than half way and then try and get other gas somewhere else. I don't think there are any companies that make gas without ethanol. Did I read it wrong or are there gas brands that do not use ethanol?

Old 08-04-2004, 10:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: oxygenated gasoline

It says not to use oxygentated gas if you do not know how much oxygenate it contains. It says otherwise, you can use premium that has up to 10% Ethanol or 15% MTBE, or 5% Methanol.

That is pretty lenient actually. GM for example only allows up to 10% Ethanol or MTBE, and 0% Methanol. I remember on my GTP, they even went so far as to say that use of any type of fuel additive will void the engine warranty. I was surprised however, that it listed a special exception for Techron, which it says is the only approved fuel additive.

As for brands.... I think it's mostly by region, not brand. I know in Portland, they only use ethanol as oxygenates, but I've seen these same brands in California use MTBE. Though I think MTBE has been banned in CA. I haven't lived in Cali in 6 years...

Old 08-05-2004, 04:51 AM

what would happen if we used oxygenated fuel?

Old 08-05-2004, 07:25 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The oxygenate fools the O2 into calling for a slightly richer cruise mixture so mpg goes down by 3% [per EPA report] but in real world it can be 5-7% depending on amount of water absorbed by Ethanol].

In addition the oxygenates are partially burned [the oxygen in formula] so the BTU per gallon is lower to generate the same HP you must pust the throttle harder [open more] by 3-5%.

The SE US does not use Ethanol Oxygenates, MTBE yes.

Oxygenates were introduced to solve a old fashioned carb problem [before cats and O2 sensors] not a fuel injection problem..........Just a form of corn farmer subsidy now with Ethanol.

Old 08-05-2004, 01:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

in CA they make us use oxygenated gas. these stupid politicians think that it reduces emissions and make cars more fuel efficient, but as Q45tech pointed out, it actually reduces efficiency, which leads to higher fuel consumption and more pollutants.

-------------------------------------------
2004 6MT DG/G Coupe | Premium | Aero Kit | See bio for pix

Old 08-05-2004, 01:23 PM

CA appealed to EPA to drop oxygenates [after MTBE phase out] but the Corn Lobby threaten to have a "tractor sit in" in Washington.

"The Renewable Fuels Association (RFA) and National Corn Growers Association (NCGA) have filed a motion with the U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals to intervene in the case of California Air Resources Board v. U.S. EPA in support of the EPA in order defend the use of ethanol as a gasoline oxygen additive to reduce air pollution............."

" The EPA found that California failed to prove that maintaining the standard - and using ethanol - would be detrimental to the state's achievement of national ambient air quality standards. Such a finding is necessary by law before a waiver can be granted. "

" July 17, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit held that the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) "abused its discretion" in denying California's request for a waiver from the 2% oxygenate requirement of the Clean Air Act. The Court also rejected EPA's contention that California lacked standing to appeal EPA's decision.

In responding to the decision, Governor Gray Davis stated: "It is my hope that the EPA will take a hard look at this court decision, realize they were wrong and give California what it needs: the ability to make gasoline with or without oxygenates as conditions warrant."

EPA had denied California's waiver on the ground that the State had not clearly demonstrated that a waiver would have a beneficial effect on ozone pollution, and ruled that it was unnecessary to consider the effect a waiver would have on particulate matter pollution. The Court concluded that the EPA abused its discretion in refusing to consider and weigh the effect of the proposed waiver on particulate matter pollution along with its effect on ozone levels.

The Court, therefore, vacated EPA's order denying the waiver and remanded the case to the court below for further proceedings. The Court's decision can be found at: http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/ca9/newo...56D65007EE477/$file/0171356.pdf?openelement.

For once CA has tried to do the right thing but who knows how it will come out.

Old 08-05-2004, 06:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe 'Arnold' can fix it. =P

Old 08-05-2004, 07:36 PM

My understanding is that MTBE itself is a pollutant causing far worse problems after a spill or leak than the gasoline alone.

Old 08-05-2004, 08:00 PM

My coupe was averaging 26.1 MPG (according to the nav)after about 3K miles last summer, but only about 24.9 now. I'm in the NYC metro area. Could the drop be due to an icrease in oxygenated gas in this area?

PS: Yes I know my mileage is quite high compared to most coupe owners. I drive about 85-90% highway and have a pretty light foot most of the time. Not always though : )

Old 08-05-2004, 08:21 PM

Yes definately... I noticed the exact same thing with my other car. The on-board computer reports better mileage with non-oxygenated gas. I go out of my way to make sure I don't fuel up with oxygenated gas. When I do that I average about 5mpg better. I noticed a lot of times, the "cheaper" gas stations had oxygenated gas, and the slightly more expensive ones didn't.

All I know is with my other car, running oxygenated gas, I get about 250-280 miles per tank, and with non-oxygenated I get >330.

I never fill up the G with the oxygenated crap, so I can't tell you what I get with it.

Old 08-05-2004, 08:30 PM

so, which brands aren't oxygenated? i went to m obil and it's 10% ethanol.

Old 08-05-2004, 09:01 PM

In many regions you have no choice.
http://www.nacsonline.com/images/pr_...outique_lg.gif

Old 10-16-2004, 12:41 AM

A few interesting article on ethanol

http://www.moscowfoodcoop.com/archive/ethanol.html

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columni...0-kantor_x.htm

2003 G35 Black Sedan

Old 10-16-2004, 04:54 AM

If your region requires oxygenated gas, than everyone will have oxygenated gas. I'm lucky I think, because the Portland, Oregon Metro Area requires it in the winter months, but even though Vancouver is the largest suburb or Portland, it is in Washington state, and I don't think oxygenated gas is required here. With that being said, many of the stations here oxygenate anyways. But I have found that Chevron and Shell tend to not follow the trend of the other stations and continue to have non-oxygenated gas.

Old 10-16-2004, 08:49 AM

Should have been clearer a 10% Ethanolized gasoline can hold only 7% by volume of water at 70F........so the profits are not 10% but 7% less the cost of the rain dripping into the tanks.

Think this is one of the method of stretching the fuel supply?