G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Absolute Best Way to Remove a Wheel Bearing Assembly

Old 09-15-2018, 01:11 AM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Absolute Best Way to Remove a Wheel Bearing Assembly

Hey guys, I know this should go into the DIY section but I didn't have access to post. Hope I can post it here and have the Admin move to the DIY section.

Anyways, after following the DIY for wheel bearing removal on G35Driver, I found myself at the last step hammering furiously at my wheel bearing assembly trying to pop it off. After 4 frustrating hours, I gave up. I did some research and talked with some people and stumbled on this amazing painless way to remove a wheel bearing. It literally costed be 2.47 CAD to buy the parts and it popped out my wheel bearing within 1 minute.

Go to Home depot and buy yourself 2 hanger nuts and 2 bolts like shown below: The hanger nut and bolt when completely screwed in will need to be smaller than the gap between your wheel bearing and the car. For V36 that distance is 3.5 cm.

Hanger Nut and Bolt. Buy a pair (2 hanger nuts and 2 bolts)

Place 1 pair of hanger nut and bolt above and 1 pair of hanger nut and bolt below the wheel bearing.

Place the hanger nut and bolt between the wheel bearing. 1 above and 1 below the wheel bearing so you can press out the bearing evenly.

Only thing to watch out for is to make sure the other side away from the bearing you have something solid to jack against! I have a V36 and that place happens to be between the 2 bolts holding the wheel bearing in (and 2 bolts below for the other set of hanger nut and bolt below the wheel bearing). Now that they are placed, use a pair of wrenches and turn the bolt counter clock wise (Loosen the bolt away from the hanger nut), this will put pressure on the wheel bearing and force it out. You want to press above and below evenly.

I didn't even need to turn it that hard. After being snug against the wheel bearing, I made 1 full turn above and below and immediately a thin crack between the wheel bearing assembly and the rest of my car formed. After 3 full turns my wheel bearing popped right off (Less than 1 minute). My dust shield was in perfect condition and the wheel bearing came out nice and easy and controlled. I honestly hope no one else ever uses a hammer to try to remove a wheel bearing assembly. This has been so easy and painless I am very surprised that it is not communicated more. I hope this helps and saves you guys the time and frustration I had to go through

I have also posted this in the tech area under Brake & Suspension for V35. Figured it was best to keep everyone in the loop :P

The following 2 users liked this post by SofaKingAzn:
cleric670 (09-15-2018), puddin" (11-07-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 05:53 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Definitely appreciate the creative approach however the absolute BEST way is to just use a hydraulic press

For anyone having issues finding a "hanger nut" the piece is called a "rod coupling".

Old 09-16-2018, 05:12 PM
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Definitely appreciate the creative approach however the absolute BEST way is to just use a hydraulic press
You need a press to put the new bearing back on too, right ? I haven't changed wheel bearing assemblies on my G35X but have done it on an Odyssey (rear) and Accord (rear). Both of those - I believe because it was the non-drive wheels - were bolt-on types, not press on.

Old 09-23-2018, 05:19 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Hall Stevenson
You need a press to put the new bearing back on too, right ? I haven't changed wheel bearing assemblies on my G35X but have done it on an Odyssey (rear) and Accord (rear). Both of those - I believe because it was the non-drive wheels - were bolt-on types, not press on.
Yea there maybe some confusion involved. I was also confused how you would use a hydraulic press. To my understanding, using a hydraulic press is for get the actual bearing out of the assembly. What I'm talking about is removing the wheel bearing assembly from the car as a whole and replacing the whole thing

Old 09-23-2018, 10:31 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
It's a pretty slick option for folks who don't have a slide hammer handy.