G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Starting issues sometimes it’s starts sometimes it doesn’t

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 12:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock
Starting issues sometimes it’s starts sometimes it doesn’t

Last year my battery compartment got half way filled with water. Drain beneath battery tray got debris in it which stop water drainage. On day I went to start the car; everything lit up but car won’t start. I inspected the battery to see it half flooded with water. There’s a large fuse box next to the battery that was half submerged in water too.
I removed, cleaned and let everything dry out for 2 days and the car finally started. I went ahead and purchased a new new fuse box, I think it’s called the IDCM. I replaced the IDCM and had no issues. Between the time I replaced the IDCM my alternator started making noise. I took my local mechanic to make sure to put a 150 amp alternator in the car; which is spec for my vehicle. Alternator was changed and noise went away. The same day I pick up my car the horn stopped working. Smh! Anyways about 4 months later which brings me to my current time my car starts sometimes and sometimes it doesn’t. I have no check engine light.
About a week after changing the alternator i figures it was time to purchased a new battery. For four months I had no problems. 3 weeks ago I hit the start button and nothing. Get a jump; nothing. Took the 4 month battery back to autzone and they said the battery was no good. They replaced the battery under warranty. Put the battery in and th car starts right up. Drive the car for 7 and one day hit the button and nothing. Took the battery back to autozone and they said the battery was no good. They replaced the battery once again.
Put the battery in the car and it started right up. 7 days later I go to start the car and nothing. Figured it was the battery but this time they said the battery was good! I had a parasitic drain test on the car, I got .20 milliamps only. No drainage on the battery. I let the car sit for 24 hours. Came back and the car started no problem. I had another mechanic check the alternator and he said it’s chargering well.
My question is
could a 110amp alternator which is below Infiniti specs cause this issue? Or Could a bad starter ground or a bad ground in general causing such problem? Could a starter work then stop working off an on?

Last edited by Ant2021; 11-18-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
^^

A flooded/water damaged vehicle is going to cause all kinds of weird and intermittent problems.
Corrosion, poor grounds, damaged wiring harness all are problematic

Get rid of the car or keep pouring money down the drain

Telcoman

Old 11-18-2018, 06:26 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
G35 Sport Sedan 5AT
Originally Posted by Ant2021
could a 110amp alternator which is below Infiniti specs cause this issue?
Doubtful

Or Could a bad starter ground or a bad ground in general causing such problem?
Yes, I would double check all connections in and around the battery compartment, and the starter.

Could a starter work then stop working off an on?
Yes, I have had this problem before. There could be a dead spot in the starter motor, but when I had this problem I only had a no crank issue every once in a while. Not as often as you do. So, possible, but I would say chances are low