G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Help Identify Calipers/Pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 09:21 PM
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by xpresident
It is an auto with shifter paddles, which came with the tech package according to a dealership I talked to. Again, a few dealerships I talked to said this car/VIN did not have a factory installed sport package.
According to this spec sheet I have (again, for an '08, sorry), the paddle shifters are part of the ..... SPORT package, not the technology package. Now I'm confused ! There's a Sport package and a Sport trim !!

In the Sport package, you get: 225/50R18 front and 245/45R18 rear W-rated tires; 18-inch lightweight cast aluminum wheels; Viscous Limited Slip Differential (VLSD); A/T magnesium paddle shifters (n/a on 6MT); Larger front brake calipers; unique front fascia and side sills; sport-style seats w/thigh extension and power thigh and torso support

The Sport package is available/optional on the Journey or X (AWD) trims and standard on the Sport trim.

Do you have different size tires between the front and rear ?

I'm finding mistakes in this spec too, for what it's worth.... In the Brakes section, it shows larger rotors (front and rear) as included with the Sport package but the description for that package doesn't mention anything about brakes. No mention of the caliper design anywhere though.

I've attached this spec sheet that I keep referring to.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2008_sedan_specs.pdf (223.9 KB, 45 views)
Old 05-24-2019, 09:37 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,459 Likes on 2,152 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I think the brake pad numbers you have listed is correct. When I search for a year with the Akebono brakes I'm gettting a brake pad part number of D1060-JL00J

Old 05-25-2019, 12:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G35S
Originally Posted by Hall Stevenson
According to this spec sheet I have (again, for an '08, sorry), the paddle shifters are part of the ..... SPORT package, not the technology package. Now I'm confused ! There's a Sport package and a Sport trim !!

In the Sport package, you get: 225/50R18 front and 245/45R18 rear W-rated tires; 18-inch lightweight cast aluminum wheels; Viscous Limited Slip Differential (VLSD); A/T magnesium paddle shifters (n/a on 6MT); Larger front brake calipers; unique front fascia and side sills; sport-style seats w/thigh extension and power thigh and torso support

The Sport package is available/optional on the Journey or X (AWD) trims and standard on the Sport trim.

Do you have different size tires between the front and rear ?

I'm finding mistakes in this spec too, for what it's worth.... In the Brakes section, it shows larger rotors (front and rear) as included with the Sport package but the description for that package doesn't mention anything about brakes. No mention of the caliper design anywhere though.

I've attached this spec sheet that I keep referring to.
Lol well this is very confusing indeed. This must be different for the 07 then because when I spoke to the dealerships and they said my VIN was not supposed to have a sport trim/package, I told them it had paddle shifters. They told me that those came with the tech package. So this car had tech, nav and premium but no sport package according to the dealerships. If the car were to be a G35S would it say so on the title?

The car right now does have sport seats and sport wheels and staggered tires. But I think those were added by whoever attempted to make the car look like the G37 anniversary edition, as the seats are red.

Visually though the calipers look just like the OEM non-sport ones so I am pretty sure the front brakes/steering/suspension is non-sport. Am really hoping I got the right equipment, as I don't want to get charged for labor twice.

Old 05-25-2019, 12:36 AM
G35S
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
I think the brake pad numbers you have listed is correct. When I search for a year with the Akebono brakes I'm gettting a brake pad part number of D1060-JL00J
When I look at those pad numbers on other sites, like rockauto, these pads are labeled for cars with the sport package, and Raybestos pads for other trims have different numbers.

Old 05-25-2019, 12:40 AM
G35S
Picture for reference.

The following users liked this post:
6klub (10-12-2021)
Old 05-25-2019, 01:10 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,459 Likes on 2,152 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Ok I think this is why the industry is calling for a sport and non-sport brake package for 2007. Read this sales brochure and you will see under the 6MT option it specifically calls out "larger brakes" however for the previous year 2006 there WAS NO DIFFERENCE between the sport and non-sport rotors/calipers. The 2003-2004 with the Brembo option there was definitely a difference and I think whoever was in charge of writing the sales brochure just never changed that part of it, the Akebono's were PROBABLY slated to be an option however they decided to hold over until the chassis revision in 2008 (coupe) 2009 (sedan).

Even the Nissan and Infiniti parts sites are listing "non-akebono" for 2007 even though it was never a factory option to have them on the 2007. This probably evolved as the later package caused confusion for folks trying to purchase the correct brakes so they simply added the "non-akebono" listing into the prior year model options.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:29 PM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Picture for reference.
So its a '07 with a '09+ Sports front end swap? Those darker color sports rims looks pretty good though.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:31 PM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
What you have are the OEM non-sport (i.e. NOT the Akebono's from the later year and NOT the brembo's from the early years) calipers that someone installed fake brembo covers on.

Base model calipers with something like THIS installed.

What the heck?! LOL

Old 06-03-2019, 08:12 PM
G35S
Quick Update

Took the car to the mechanic today. The (non-sport) struts went in fine, and the rear brake pads also got changed. But the front pads did not fit. Both front and back pads were Wagner TQ for the base/journey/X models. The mechanic told me the front rotors were 13", which I'm guessing is for the sport model. Do you guys think I need the sport brake pads for this?

Based on the pictures above, the calipers look like the base ones though, so I am confused, and a little irritated with the wasted labor cost.

Also, I bought some D2S lights from amazon, and weirdly they wouldn't fit either. These were a bit cheap though. The bulb connectors for the existing and new bulbs looked exactly the same but the new ones just wouldn't go in. Is this something to be expected with cheap lights?

Old 06-03-2019, 08:48 PM
The mechanic told me the front rotors were 13", which I'm guessing is for the sport model. Do you guys think I need the sport brake pads for this?
13" is right around 330mm, which matches "sport" package or trim brake option. So a previous owner swapped the fronts but not the backs ?

Also, I bought some D2S lights from amazon, and weirdly they wouldn't fit either. These were a bit cheap though. The bulb connectors for the existing and new bulbs looked exactly the same but the new ones just wouldn't go in. Is this something to be expected with cheap lights?
Pffft, I've seen something similar happen with name-brand halogens. Sylvania, Phillips, etc were just a super-tight fit. The plastic lock-ring is just slightly imperfect to fit right. Can probably fix that with some sandpaper and comparing the ring on the new bulb with the existing bulb that fits.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:11 PM
The mechanic told me the front rotors were 13", which I'm guessing is for the sport model. Do you guys think I need the sport brake pads for this?
Forgot to ask: Did it look like the dust shield had been trimmed/cut down ? That appears to be necessary with larger-than-stock rotors.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:40 PM
G35S
13" is right around 330mm, which matches "sport" package or trim brake option. So a previous owner swapped the fronts but not the backs ?
Forgot to ask: Did it look like the dust shield had been trimmed/cut down ? That appears to be necessary with larger-than-stock rotors.
Not sure about the dust shield, I only saw the thing with everything put back together. But yeah it does seem like the fronts have been swapped. Gonna order sport pads, hopefully they'll fit this time.

Pffft, I've seen something similar happen with name-brand halogens. Sylvania, Phillips, etc were just a super-tight fit. The plastic lock-ring is just slightly imperfect to fit right. Can probably fix that with some sandpaper and comparing the ring on the new bulb with the existing bulb that fits.
The mechanic measured the rings for both, and they were the same. Visually we could not identify any differences. I have already done the return process on amazon. Gonna order something else now, and again hope that they fit.