G35Driver Feedback & Suggestions NO Car Questions! For posting Feedback, Suggestions or Questions regarding G35Driver website ONLY.

Why are the mods now moving everything.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 03:58 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I originally posted this response to ttranks first thread, in the Premier Feedback section. My bad.

Copied from my reply in the first thread:

The reason we move threads is simple: to manage information. If you press the Home link up in the nav bar, you are greeted with some particularly interesting statistics. At present, there are 49,000 members. That's right. Forty nine thousand members. There are more than 100,000 separate threads, totaling 1.8 million individual posts.

The majority of the time that I move threads I do so because the information pertains to more than just a coupe or a sedan. The thread that started all this(again), was Floyd's thread. I didn't move it. I don't know who did. But I agree that it needed to be moved.

His thread mentioned a throttle body spacer and torque dampner. He also asked if any one noticed the Zex kit, and mentions richie's strut bar. All four items are of interest to both the coupes and sedans.

How many times do we see questions that are repeated? How many of those questions have been answered in others sections on the site? How many times have you seen a thread regarding a stuck clutch pedal? That problem applies to both coupes and sedans, and has been answered countless times.

I've seen a few people complain about having to navigate to different sections to get useful information. I can understand that. It can be tedious. But - far more often the complaint I see is about having to venture outside one's "home", be it the coupe or sedan section. Several times in these past discussions, people have admitted that they didn't even know the site had a tech area, or a wheels and tires area.

To me there are three causes: laziness, xenophobia, or ignorance. I can forgive ignorance, as there are constantly new members that may not be up to speed on the different sections. However, I will not tolerate the other two attributes.

If you're too lazy to check the other sections, you're only hurting yourself and others. Hurting yourself because there is likely useful information that you're missing. Hurting others in that you might have something to contribute, but since you're not even aware of the threads in the other section, your possible solution will go unvoiced.

If you're xenophobic, then the same paragraph applies. If you're scared to mingle in the other sections, then you're just maintaining the status quo; there will be little sharing of information. Little education. And little catalyst for new thoughts.

This may be harsh, but if you fit into either of the two preceding categories, then I think you're a leach and burden on the community. I'd prefer such people not even be members.

And to clarify: the term "you" in this context is the general form; I'm not targeting you specifically ttrank. I think you've been very helpful, and see you regularly participate in discussions throughout various sections, here and on my350z.

And one comment to Floyd: you stated that you haven't noticed me in the sedan section. Try out a few other areas. You might learn something new.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:00 PM
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by ttrank
At least let us post the thread in the section it belongs and then put a link in the sedan section. But we get in trouble most of the time we put link threads up too.
When I first started moving threads, I would leave a link in the original section to the it's new home. Some people thought that those links cluttered up the various sections. So I stopped(see, there's an example of a mod that tries to respect the popular opinion).

Are you suggesting that I continue to leave links when I move the threads? I can certainly do so, as it's my preferred method.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with everything ttrank stated. We sedaners often have very different needs and wants when it comes to our cars. There are just so many differences (and so few sedan people relative to coupe people) that it was much easier to find specific information and assistance when the sedan forum was left alone.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:03 PM
My horns hold up my halo
See this is where I disagree. There are really very few things that I can think of that are differences between the coupe and the sedan aside from body panels. What such items are you referring to? Just curious since they don't come to mind.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:05 PM
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by RocketG35
I absolutely agree - the old way was better. I now have to look at every sub-forum to find out the cool new mods....before, it was great to see a "check out my new mod" in the Sedan forum, regardless of what mod it was. Now they get moved and people have learned to start posting within those sub-forums. The only way I would know about the mod is if I went into that sub-forum. What's the point of even having a "Sedan" forum???

Recently I posted that I saw an 05 sedan taillight for $60 on ebay...I wanted to post it in the main forum so some who considered it but thought it was too expensive would say "that's cheap, I'll buy it!", but why bother...it would get moved!!! The only way someone would know about buying it is if they went into the Classified section....but that limits the potential audience.

Knowledge is key, but we're limited to being exposed to it now...not good and not enjoyable anymore.
Use the New Posts feature. That way you will remain apprised of *anything* that is new. Believe me, once I started using this feature way back when, my total knowledge of the car and platform increased dramatically.

Self-education is very important for a community this large.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:30 PM
trey - you make some good points regarding contribution. however, since we're on the topic of moderation (and yes this is a little off topic)

[rant]while i can appreciate the moving of threads to relevant section as a proactive measure against clutter, i notice nothing preventative. there is nothing regarding a FAQ, nothing regarding searching, etc, etc. there are countless times when i go into pretty much every subforum only to see the same questions/posts over and over again. it's pretty much to the point when i just sign on to read the regional forums.[/rant]

your position on xenophobia is fine, i tend to disagree since searching usually turns up searches regardless of the subforum. if a post is deemed beneficial for other discussions, then i'm all for it. the problem imo is the fact that searching is almost fruitless since there are so many false hits from repeated posts, etc. but then again that's just my 2 cents in the 49000 current users.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:45 PM
Why do I bother to DIY???
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do use that now, but it still requires shifting through a lot of stuff I wouldn't normall look at...still like the old way better

Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
Use the New Posts feature. That way you will remain apprised of *anything* that is new. Believe me, once I started using this feature way back when, my total knowledge of the car and platform increased dramatically.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:49 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by trey's wife
There are really very few things that I can think of that are differences between the coupe and the sedan aside from body panels. What such items are you referring to? Just curious since they don't come to mind.

1) All the exterior body parts including body kits, spoilers, lighting, etc.

I for one would hate to look through 1,000's of posts and threads on coupe body kits (since there are soooo many more) to find info on the few sedan ones.

2) Wheels

With the difference in offsets and fitment the sedan has much different needs. Again most of the wheel data in the wheel section is for the coupe guys.

3) Performance mods

Most new sedan guys are not aware that many of the coupe parts will fit and many vendors/sites don't know either.

4) Suspension

Same as #3

5) Stereo

With the exception of the head unit the sedan is way different. Need I say more.

I am tired of typing on this subject but there is more than this. If more members were aware of the differences I would not get so many PM's on the subject. IMO when you take it all out of the sedan section it hurts people.

Grocery getter

Originally Posted by RocketG35
I do use that now, but it still requires shifting through a lot of stuff I wouldn't normall look at...still like the old way better

+1

That is all I am trying to say here.

Are we helping a few but hurting a lot?

Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by tkman00
trey - you make some good points regarding contribution. however, since we're on the topic of moderation (and yes this is a little off topic)

[rant]while i can appreciate the moving of threads to relevant section as a proactive measure against clutter, i notice nothing preventative. there is nothing regarding a FAQ, nothing regarding searching, etc, etc. there are countless times when i go into pretty much every subforum only to see the same questions/posts over and over again. it's pretty much to the point when i just sign on to read the regional forums.[/rant]

your position on xenophobia is fine, i tend to disagree since searching usually turns up searches regardless of the subforum. if a post is deemed beneficial for other discussions, then i'm all for it. the problem imo is the fact that searching is almost fruitless since there are so many false hits from repeated posts, etc. but then again that's just my 2 cents in the 49000 current users.
I totally agree. I think search is pretty useless as well. I tend to search by post author, or thread author, if I can remember the parties involved. Unfortunately, I don't think the problem is with g35driver itself, rather with the forum software(vBulletin). I'm afraid we're stuck with the current [non]search engine.

And I also agree on the issue of preventing the repeated posts/questions in the first place. Allow me to elaborate.

I think it would be in our best interest to have a general FAQ, and then targeted FAQs for each section. The problem is FAQ reference. Meaning that when a new dude logs on and posts a question, how do we make sure he's consulted one of the FAQs? We would probably amend the terms of use, but how many people ever read that? Or the forum rules?

Let's face it. The threads will continue to be moved. I'm not making policy; I'm enforcing it. In the mean time, if we can get some constructive discussion regarding FAQs and possibly general post enforcement, let's hear it.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:51 PM
ttrank - in all honesty i don't think it matters. imo unless there is something (FAQ) on the first page of the sedan section. the same posts will come up time and time again since people choose not to search. the quote in my sig states it the best.

edit yes it was an actual post, i just changed the authors name

Old 04-17-2007, 04:51 PM
Grocery getter

I do use that feature quite often but with the amount of posts that are on here every hour there are tons of threads I don't see.

People should bump their threads until they get an answer but as some have stated they just give up.

Again, neither way is perfect but what way is better? Looks like so far more people agree that it was better before.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:58 PM
My horns hold up my halo
The few people who have responded here believe it was better before, that isn't a statement that more people believe it was better that way.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:00 PM
I totally agree. I think search is pretty useless as well. I tend to search by post author, or thread author, if I can remember the parties involved. Unfortunately, I don't think the problem is with g35driver itself, rather with the forum software(vBulletin). I'm afraid we're stuck with the current [non]search engine.

And I also agree on the issue of preventing the repeated posts/questions in the first place. Allow me to elaborate.

I think it would be in our best interest to have a general FAQ, and then targeted FAQs for each section. The problem is FAQ reference. Meaning that when a new dude logs on and posts a question, how do we make sure he's consulted one of the FAQs? We would probably amend the terms of use, but how many people ever read that? Or the forum rules?

Let's face it. The threads will continue to be moved. I'm not making policy; I'm enforcing it. In the mean time, if we can get some constructive discussion regarding FAQs and possibly general post enforcement, let's hear it.
there's nothing you can do about enforcement. but the fact that it's there at least allows someone to consult it before making a redundant post. imo search is useless because of false positives. at this point, yes it won't get any better, which leads me to change my position on moving threads on being proactive to being reactive.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:01 PM
Grocery getter

Originally Posted by trey's wife
The few people who have responded here believe it was better before, that isn't a statement that more people believe it was better that way.

Go read all the other threads of people and take a count then come back and see if you can make that same statement. Remember this is mostly for the sedan section. I am comfortable saying that way more members of that section would vote for the old way.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why are the mods now moving everything.