G35Driver Feedback & Suggestions NO Car Questions! For posting Feedback, Suggestions or Questions regarding G35Driver website ONLY.

Why are the mods now moving everything.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 08:52 AM
RXM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just want to give my side of why I post in the general sedan forum.

Basically, every topic can be moved to a sub-forum but the question is...is it absolutely necessary? You all say its for ease of searching and having info all in one place to cut down on redundant questions that have been answered multiple times. This is true to an extent. If someone posted a question regarding suspension in the suspension forum, and no one checks it...the person will not have their question answered and will post again, but this time in the general sedan forum. A mod, using his/her keen sense quickly realizing that it doesn't belong there and moves it to the suspension forum...where again...the question does not get enough views and will go unanswered. KrazyEd knows more about the awd suspension than most people and I if I post in that subforum...but he doesn't bother to look....will I have my questions answered? How would I even know to PM the guy? We all post in the general forum b/c simply...IT GETS MORE VIEWS and the more views...the greater the possibility the question will get answered. I proposed in a previous post that once a thread's question has been answered and is dead...it can be moved to the appropriate subforum. Just wanted to explain our side of things. I hope you take it into consideration

Old 04-18-2007, 09:01 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by RXM
I just want to give my side of why I post in the general sedan forum.

Basically, every topic can be moved to a sub-forum but the question is...is it absolutely necessary? You all say its for ease of searching and having info all in one place to cut down on redundant questions that have been answered multiple times. This is true to an extent. If someone posted a question regarding suspension in the suspension forum, and no one checks it...the person will not have their question answered and will post again, but this time in the general sedan forum. A mod, using his/her keen sense quickly realizing that it doesn't belong there and moves it to the suspension forum...where again...the question does not get enough views and will go unanswered. KrazyEd knows more about the awd suspension than most people and I if I post in that subforum...but he doesn't bother to look....will I have my questions answered? How would I even know to PM the guy? We all post in the general forum b/c simply...IT GETS MORE VIEWS and the more views...the greater the possibility the question will get answered. I proposed in a previous post that once a thread's question has been answered and is dead...it can be moved to the appropriate subforum. Just wanted to explain our side of things. I hope you take it into consideration

I understand what you are saying the but the "well no one looks in that section" is not a valid reason IMO.

Most people probably haven't looked in the suspension section in the past simply because they were always posted in the general Sedan or Coupe sections. Now that there are more Mods in those sections, threads are now being moved to their proper locations. It may take some time, but I am confident that sections like the Suspension section will get more traffic because that will be the only place where suspension related threads will be located.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:17 AM
RXM
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
I understand what you are saying the but the "well no one looks in that section" is not a valid reason IMO.

Most people probably haven't looked in the suspension section in the past simply because they were always posted in the general Sedan or Coupe sections. Now that there are more Mods in those sections, threads are now being moved to their proper locations. It may take some time, but I am confident that sections like the Suspension section will get more traffic because that will be the only place where suspension related threads will be located.
I think you missed my point. I'll try to clarify what I was trying to get across. For example, I have a question regarding AWD suspension and I post a thread about it in the suspension forum. Yes it will get some views from people...and they will give their opinions. The only problem is that...say KrazyEd knows most about the topic...but doesn't bother to check that subforum, how would he know that there is a question regarding it and that he could best answer the question. He isn't going to check that subforum daily with the mindset, "Let me see if anyone has asked about awd suspension lately." To think someone would do that is absurd. And again, that would leave me not having my question answered appropriately, by the appropriate person. Not everyone is comes here to check out all the subforums to answer other people's question. If I see something in the general forum that sparks my interest, I will chime in. I'm not going to go into a subforum to constantly look to see if there are posts that I can contribute to b/c there are TONS of subforums and to do so is ridiculous.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:34 AM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by RXM
I think you missed my point. I'll try to clarify what I was trying to get across. For example, I have a question regarding AWD suspension and I post a thread about it in the suspension forum. Yes it will get some views from people...and they will give their opinions. The only problem is that...say KrazyEd knows most about the topic...but doesn't bother to check that subforum, how would he know that there is a question regarding it and that he could best answer the question. He isn't going to check that subforum daily with the mindset, "Let me see if anyone has asked about awd suspension lately." To think someone would do that is absurd. And again, that would leave me not having my question answered appropriately, by the appropriate person. Not everyone is comes here to check out all the subforums to answer other people's question. If I see something in the general forum that sparks my interest, I will chime in. I'm not going to go into a subforum to constantly look to see if there are posts that I can contribute to b/c there are TONS of subforums and to do so is ridiculous.

Again, I do understand the point you are making. But (and there's always a "but" ) the forum leaders have setup these subsections for a reason. We can't keep AWD suspension threads in the general Sedan section just because KrazyEd doesn't visit the suspension section daily. I can't stress enough how difficult it is to keep a forum with 50k members somewhat organized. I think alot of people don't realize how big this forum has become and how much bigger it will become with the G37 and EX models coming in the near future. If members were free to post threads where ever they liked, this place would be chaotic at best.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:52 AM
RXM
Again, I do understand the point you are making. But (and there's always a "but" ) the forum leaders have setup these subsections for a reason. We can't keep AWD suspension threads in the general Sedan section just because KrazyEd doesn't visit the suspension section daily. I can't stress enough how difficult it is to keep a forum with 50k members somewhat organized. I think alot of people don't realize how big this forum has become and how much bigger it will become with the G37 and EX models coming in the near future. If members were free to post threads where ever they liked, this place would be chaotic at best.

I agree that as the forum grows, there is bound to be some chaos and some level of control is needed. But going back to my point....if someone is posting in the suspension forum and the appropriate person does not view the thread, a possible scenario will ensue:

1. The person will not have their question answered
2. The person will most likely repost their question somewhere else
3. The mod will move it back to the suspension section
4. The person still doesn't have their question answered and gets upset that the thread keeps getting moved or closed
5. The person who has the knowledge to answer the question never even knew the thread existed to even give their input
6. The question never gets answered appropriately and future people with the same question will post about the exact same thing later on

Again...no one addressed my proposal of moving threads after a certain time frame. I believe this is a great idea and will make both sides happy.

1. Have a thread in the general section
2. After it gets enough views and people have contributed their information the thread gets moved after a few weeks of inactivity so that it can be archived.

THIS SHOULD SATISFY BOTH SIDES. Every trigger happy mod here seems not to have a problem of going through the motions of moving threads. How about just holding off on doing that for a few days, just so that it gets enough views. Delaying moving a thread is not going to stop the world from turning and will not cause any forseable choas on this site.

Last edited by RXM; 04-18-2007 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RXM

It seems to me from the posts here that there are people who are more concerned about Views than getting correct information. I've seen too many replies to posts where people are giving replies to a post that are giving misinformation about a subject cause they just wanted to chime in. Go where the real techs hang out, in the tech forum. You won't get all the fluff from the wannabees.

Nothing against the person who you mentioned knows more about the awd suspension than most people. There are other people here who have knowledge too. They hang out more in the Tech area than in other areas of the forum.

If everything is slapped into one forum why do I have to go through tons of titles in the index of which many of the titles are so messed up from the original poster that what I am looking for gets burried in the index.

This forum has has evolved and expanded just as the G product has expanded. It use to be much simplier but things have changed and so have the forums here. I think they have done a good job in trying to organize the info here. Is everyone going to be happy about it, no, but such is life. As things go on things will probably be tweaked. It's more of getting things in an organized way.

Maybe you should be looking at your fellow members who post up misleading subject titles, frivelous posts, redundant postings and people who post just for the heck of posting. I wouldn't be taking it out on the Moderators nor the Admins.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:01 AM
RXM
Originally Posted by SOCOOL
RXM

It seems to me from the posts here that there are people who are more concerned about Views than getting correct information. I've seen too many replies to posts where people are giving replies to a post that are giving misinformation about a subject cause they just wanted to chime in. Go where the real techs hang out, in the tech forum. You won't get all the fluff from the wannabees.

Nothing against the person who you mentioned knows more about the awd suspension than most people. There are other people here who have knowledge too. They hang out more in the Tech area than in other areas of the forum.

If everything is slapped into one forum why do I have to go through tons of titles in the index of which many of the titles are so messed up from the original poster that what I am looking for gets burried in the index.

This forum has has evolved and expanded just as the G product has expanded. It use to be much simplier but things have changed and so have the forums here. I think they have done a good job in trying to organize the info here. Is everyone going to be happy about it, no, but such is life. As things go on things will probably be tweaked. It's more of getting things in an organized way.

Maybe you should be looking at your fellow members who post up misleading subject titles, frivelous posts, redundant postings and people who post just for the heck of posting. I wouldn't be taking it out on the Moderators nor the Admins.

Getting more replies than no replies is better in my opinion. Not everyone here is a moron that jumps on every single word someone says as the word of god. The goal is to get as many views as possible, IN HOPES OF the RIGHT person comes along to chime in. People need to weigh information and determine for themselves what is correct. The way it has been, and the way forums are set up, is to have everyone give their input and make a contribution. Also, a place for us to have a meaningful discussion about the topic.

I have, on many occasions, gone to the general forum and just wanted to see what is going on with what is new regarding the car. From there, I decide if I need to go to suspension, audio, etc. I'm going to go to the subforum, AFTER I read something in the general section that sparks my interest so that I can find out more. Otherwise, I don't think I would have even thought to look.

I'm not attacking anyone. I'm just giving my view and suggestion. Again...thats the purpose of a forum...to give your views and opinions. I just gave a typical scenario that we know is very plausable! Just wanted to propose something to save everyone a headache.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:03 AM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by RXM
I agree that as the forum grows, there is bound to be some chaos and some level of control is needed. But going back to my point....if someone is posting in the suspension forum and the appropriate person does not view the thread, a possible scenario will ensue:

4. The person still doesn't have their question answered and gets upset that the thread keeps getting moved or closed
5. The person who has the knowledge to answer the question never even knew the thread existed to even give their input
6. The question never gets answered appropriately and future people with the same question will post about the exact same thing later on

Again...no one addressed my proposal of moving threads after a certain time frame. I believe this is a great idea and will make both sides happy.

2. After it gets enough views and people have contributed their information the thread gets moved after a few weeks of inactivity so that it can be archived.

THIS SHOULD SATISFY BOTH SIDES.

You are basing your scenarios on what is currently happening today. As more threads are moved to their proper locations, MORE members will be visiting those subsections, and therefore threads will get more views and more replies.

As for moving threads from the general section after a few weeks of inactivity, I personally don't think that is viable. That would take an incredible amount of time for the Mods to go back a few weeks in both the Coupe and Sedan sections and go through the threads to see what ones need to be moved.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:10 AM
RXM
You are basing your scenarios on what is currently happening today. As more threads are moved to their proper locations, MORE members will be visiting those subsections, and therefore threads will get more views and more replies.

As for moving threads from the general section after a few weeks of inactivity, I personally don't think that is viable. That would take an incredible amount of time for the Mods to go back a few weeks in both the Coupe and Sedan sections and go through the threads to see what ones need to be moved.

I don't see how it would be a problem if they are moving threads at will right now. Instead of starting on page 1 and moving threads...how about starting on page 3 or 4 and begin moving things. What I am suggesting is nothing impossible or anything that would take more time that it takes you all to do right now. To not even consider a plausable idea and even show a little understanding is something I cannot comprehend. Ultimately, you are making both sides happy.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:37 AM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by RXM
I don't see how it would be a problem if they are moving threads at will right now. Instead of starting on page 1 and moving threads...how about starting on page 3 or 4 and begin moving things. What I am suggesting is nothing impossible or anything that would take more time that it takes you all to do right now. To not even consider a plausable idea and even show a little understanding is something I cannot comprehend. Ultimately, you are making both sides happy.
I'm trying not to beat a dead horse here, but again these subsections of the forum were created by the Admins in the best interest of the entire forum. I personally do not see the point in leaving threads in inappropriate locations, only to move them to their appropriate location a few weeks later. People should learn to post their threads in the proper locations in the first place. Just my own personal .02 cents.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RXM
Page 3 already has threads moved, and your solution to why threads should be kept in the sedan forum are going about it in the wrong way. If not enough people are visitng the tech sections to answer questions, the solution isn't to reward their laziness by allowing the posting in the sedan section, it should be to encourage those members to post in the tech sections instead. Based on your logic, why have a sedan section at all? Why not just have 1 big forum with all the posts together, that way you'll get lots of views because then coupe and sedan owners would have to look at your thread, but hey, you get more exposure like you wanted correct? Alot of coupe owners would also be able to answer sedan questions as well because they share alot of parts.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:44 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Can I pose a new question to change the topic? Can you please let us know what IS acceptable to post in the general forum then? It seems to me that almost every post/topic that someone posts up, would be directly related to a subsection on this forum, thereby making the general sedan forum obselete, no? Just curious what can be and will be tolerated in the general section.

Thanks

Old 04-18-2007, 10:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Alot of coupe owners would also be able to answer sedan questions as well because they share alot of parts.
I see all too often, coupe members chiming in and answering questions related to the sedan in the sedan section, with false/incorrect information, who then have to be corrected by a sedan member.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:49 AM
RXM
I'm trying not to beat a dead horse here, but again these subsections of the forum were created by the Admins in the best interest of the entire forum. I personally do not see the point in leaving threads in inappropriate locations, only to move them to their appropriate location a few weeks later. People should learn to post their threads in the proper locations in the first place. Just my own personal .02 cents.
Well, apparently you all are going to do as you please anyway so there is no point of me posting anything else or anyone else posting anything in regards to this. You might as well close down this thread and every thread that questions how the site functions. I came here to express how I feel, why people are doing what they are doing, and I proposed a solution. I didn't just come here to rant and not contribute to anything. I came here to actually help the situation and make my suggestions known. Apparently everything that the members say or suggests fall on deaf ears and are quickly forgotten.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RXM

THIS SHOULD SATISFY BOTH SIDES. Every trigger happy mod here seems not to have a problem of going through the motions of moving threads. How about just holding off on doing that for a few days, just so that it gets enough views. Delaying moving a thread is not going to stop the world from turning and will not cause any forseable choas on this site.
Satisfy both sides, I really don't think so but thanks for the posting. This suggestion will create a nightmare for the staff. If there are people complaining about how many posts are being moved all those posts will now have to be 'timed' for moving.

Trust me, the issues and concerns are not going on deaf ears. As posted before, we look at issues and concerns with the entire forum in mind as opposed to a specific area and ontop of that with the evolution of the new models of the future too.

Something tells me I shouldn't do this but what the hey. For those who are serious on changing things around, how about PM'ing me how you think the auto related forums should be structured in some kind of flow chart. Be gentle pls. and PM's only. Pls don't post them up in the thread.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why are the mods now moving everything.