G35Driver Feedback & Suggestions NO Car Questions! For posting Feedback, Suggestions or Questions regarding G35Driver website ONLY.

Why are the mods now moving everything.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 06:30 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, you guys are right, there are more things different than I think of just off hand. I still think the *majority* are the same though. I didn't mean it sound as though there couldn't be anything - I just didn't think of it offhand other than the body panels as stated.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:32 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I'd just like to chime in and thank Trey for taking time out to answer pretty much every question in great detail. It's in no way required for him to do that.
And it probably only took him about 5 minutes to type all of that.

Sorry, I have to pick on him every now and then.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:41 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Please just leave the sedan forum alone

kthxbye

Old 04-17-2007, 06:55 PM
Banned
well **** I leave for 2.5 hours and there is 3 more pages! lol

If there was one sectoin for both coupes and sedan there would be way too many post and I bet the coupe post would over run the sedan post!!! and the midpipes are not interchangable unless you have and extention for coupe to sedan!! The only thing that is really the same is engine tranny and some suspension!!! I want to reply to so many post but not enought time!!!

Old 04-17-2007, 07:04 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Originally Posted by Floyds_racing
and the midpipes are not interchangable unless you have and extention for coupe to sedan!! The only thing that is really the same is engine tranny and some suspension!!! I want to reply to so many post but not enough time!!!
Wrong. There is no extension needed to put the coupe midpipe on the sedan. You do however need an extension to put the midpipe from a Z on either a coupe or a sedan. (which sounds very nice I might add). There is no difference between the engine, transmission, and most of the exhaust between the sedan and coupe aside from the differences between model years. The only differences in the suspension are the springs and in the case of the sport models, the shocks. There is a lot more to a suspension than that.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:05 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
I personally think the forum, considering it has almost 50k members, is running quite smooth. I'm not saying it's perfect, but overall I think it's setup very well. The existence of these sub-sections are not only easier in terms of forum organization, it makes it easier to find things.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:11 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ttrank
Who do we need to ask to bring the old non-moving policy back? The forum ran just fine before. This in only in the last few months. Did all the mods get together and decide this was a good thing to start doing? If so I propose we take a forum wide poll and see what everone thinks.
That was fine when the fourm was much smaller. We are past that now. The G line is expanding also.

No the mods did not get together decide this was a good thing..... the admins did.

There are a few polls rolling around somewhere. Did you see them or is it that Driver has gotten so large and diverse you can't read everything anymore either. Another poll is not needed.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:29 PM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Who do we need to ask to bring the old non-moving policy back? The forum ran just fine before. This in only in the last few months. Did all the mods get together and decide this was a good thing to start doing? If so I propose we take a forum wide poll and see what everone thinks.
the moving threads policy has always existed. however, until recently, it hasn't been enforced as often.

people have constantly complained about the search function and how much it sucks. well, i became known as the "search police" soon after i figured out how to use it. that is...to limit your searches within a certain forum/subforum. that is, if someone wanted to find a thread about the stillen airbox, they should limit their search to the intake/exhaust subforum only. however, if people post these types of questions in the general sedan/coupe forums, it instantly becomes more difficult to retrieve for future reference.

now, provided that that was a simple/obvious example..it still proves a point. sure, there are several topics that could apply to sedans/coupes only - one example would be wheel offsets. but it would be a lot easier to search and find answers about coupe/sedan offsets in the wheel/tire subforum rather than the coupe/sedan general forums.

i hope that helps to explain why we feel it is more appropriate to move threads around.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:16 PM
RXM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Socal_G_sedan
Please just leave the sedan forum alone

kthxbye
+1 Million. Well put!

Old 04-17-2007, 08:57 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sigh....i was looking thru the g37 forum and noticed none of those threads are moved im guessing b/c it hasnt come out yet! when it does its going to be a real mess trying to find "technical" info on a certain generation coupe or sedan!!

Old 04-17-2007, 10:31 PM
I just wanted to say that I think everyone that volunteers their own time to moderate, contribute and help the G35 community is a big asset to this site and everyone appreciates that.

With that said, my sentiment is the same as a few in this thread. Unfortunately these are the growing pains which this site must endure. (For those that remember the old software even before VBulletin people were complaining about changing to what we have today!). Change is always a hard thing to adjust to and you can only imagine at the rapid growth that this site has endured as of late - especially since the G37 announcement, that to avoid many newbs and uninformed posts in wrong sections this had to be done.

Now I'm not saying that it makes the forums easier to use but I stress the fact it must be done sooner than later due to how many new members and posts continue to pop up. In the end its only going to make this site even better with how organized and sectional all the posts are and will be.

Because the search feature isn't the greatest on this site I find now if you need suspension help you'll find your answers in the suspension forum. If you need wheels help all the posts are right there. While its never fun to see your threads have moved you'll be thanking the mods that this was done in the end..... I hope

Old 04-17-2007, 10:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I understand why the mods are moving all the posts. Do I like it? No. Can I live with it? Yes.

The only thing that I cant stand is the fact that when I go to the sedan section, half of the 1 page is of threads are threads that have been moved. I know that its there so that people know where the thread was moved to but its just f'in annoying!!

Old 04-18-2007, 12:21 AM
Then why not get rid of the sedan and coupe sections?

If we move all the threads out of them to other sections where they can also go there is just about no use for them. I can think of a place for every thread on here without putting a single one in those two places.
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
People constantly ask why is there a need for a coupe or sedan section if we're going to be moving threads all the time. That's a valid question. Let me answer by a demonstration of what I think are valid topics currently present in the 03-06 Sedan section:

03-04 or 05-06
In need of some serious help!
How many sedan owner here are under 35?
New Sedan Toys from GT Spec

Admittedly, that's a small selection; only 4 of the 25 topics on the first page.
I agree 100% with TTrank. Trey, with regards to the threads that you left alone, why wouldn't 03-04 or 05-06 be moved to new owners or technical? Could see reasons for both. Sedan owners under 35 is sure to be an G-spot topic if I'd ever seen one. New Sedan Toys, well I'm sure they make new toys in the tech area.

The point is just like you stated 80-85% of all threads put in the sedan area could be moved if you wanted to. That being said, what's the point of even having those sections? Well, it's a place that just sedan owners go to, to discuss just sedan things. We don't care if coupe owners have the same problem, they can go to the coupe place and read their own owners posts on the same topics. Redundance of information can only reinforce the same information and ensure it's correct.

Bottom line to me, moved threads are getting really old quick. Regardless of the reasons behind the move.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:43 AM
My horns hold up my halo
Originally Posted by marty315
I agree 100% with TTrank. Trey, with regards to the threads that you left alone, why wouldn't 03-04 or 05-06 be moved to new owners or technical? Could see reasons for both. Sedan owners under 35 is sure to be an G-spot topic if I'd ever seen one. New Sedan Toys, well I'm sure they make new toys in the tech area.

The point is just like you stated 80-85% of all threads put in the sedan area could be moved if you wanted to. That being said, what's the point of even having those sections? Well, it's a place that just sedan owners go to, to discuss just sedan things. We don't care if coupe owners have the same problem, they can go to the coupe place and read their own owners posts on the same topics. Redundance of information can only reinforce the same information and ensure it's correct.

Bottom line to me, moved threads are getting really old quick. Regardless of the reasons behind the move.
The 03-04 vs 05-06 thread is about what the differences between the models are and opinions on that. That isn't a new owner thread as he is not a new owner and it isn't a technical question as it isn't asking about how something works or how to change something.

I completely disagree with you regarding the redundancy of information being a good thing. First of all this is a community and there are a lot of coupe guys who have been around for a long time and know quite a bit about those topics that are not specific to either the coupe or sedan and visa versa. Their information is a benefit to both sides. The information being in both places by no means insures its accuracy either. It is in fact more likely that wrong information or incomplete information will be passed along. I have seen threads go on for quite a while before someone posts the *correct* information. Having threads in multiple places leaves that even less likelihood of happening. Let's face it, there are a whole lot of people on this site who know little to nothing about these cars and spout off information that is completely off the mark.

Oh and to head off comment - these are MY opinions. I'm sure my husband has his own opinions but he is well capable of stating them himself.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:36 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by marty315
Redundance of information can only reinforce the same information and ensure it's correct.

100% disagree!! If you've have almost 50k members posting redundant topics left and right, you end up with an administrative nightmare, disorganization, and an increased amount of inaccurate posts. The idea is to keep all like topics in their respective sections to make it easier for searchability and organization.

Last edited by Garnet Canuck; 04-18-2007 at 07:39 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why are the mods now moving everything.